New scamps, trimline awning, and Really Ugly Cushions... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Yes, yes, yes Butyl?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Unusual cushion fabric? How about Compact's?

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=70829561

I doubt that Scamp has an on-site shop that sews their cushions. I know that Casita has a contract with a local upholstery shop that makes theirs. If that is the case with Scamp, and you can find the company's name, you may be able to swap the factory original cushions for a custom set.

I do agree with you about the limited fabric selection by most trailer manufacturers. Most are ugly. <_<

Tom Trostel

Old 02-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Patrick, I was confused about "I wouldn't want to do it on a new trailer" You mean put an awning on. Why not the factory does and I did. It's no big deal. Even with an old trailer you'd have to drill the holes, so what's the difference. Donna D. even put one on her 16 footer.

Laura, if you are interested in an awning that is very easy to use PM me. The factory awning can be difficult and certainly hard to use if you are not very tall, which I'm not. The last thing I'd want to do is try to pull a difficult awning out while standing on a step stool. I'm sure the awning and I would end up tangled on the ground. I ordered my Scamp without an awning. I put the awning on my Scamp that Casita puts on their trailers.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Joy, I'm sure with your good advice anyone could put an awning on their new or used trailer, even a dufus like me!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #19

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Joy, I'm sure with your good advice anyone could put an awning on their new or used trailer, even a dufus like me!
Hi: Patrick... I know for a fact that you don't have exclusive rights to the title "Dufus". If anyone can do a job backwards... I can and She usually tells me I DID!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #20

And the "She" is not me.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp

So literally two days after I called the scamp folks about the cushions and they gave me the runaround, they suddenly sent me three more samples! They're not lovely - think 90s dorm furniture that's afraid to be a bold color because it's not Politically Correct - but they are NOT PLAID! Yippee!

You may think I was being picky and/or just trying to annoy the factory, folks, but you should see those plaids. And all it would have taken from the salesman was a "Oh, I see that's a problem. If we can't come up with something else in the next two months, I'm sure we can work something out, but we will probably have more fabric by then." And I would have been less frustrated.

I may be the only person out there who would really like a victorian theme, so I can't entirely expect them to be with me on that. Three non-plaid choices are good enough for me.

Thanks for the advice on the awning; I will follow up and check out your suggestions. I'd rather follow the accumulated wisdom than do my own experimenting, right now...

Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #22

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Laura..

i dont think your being picky or anything else.. I have to agree that their pick of upholstery isnt the best choices... probably they dont get the best quality because of productions...
I say to each their own.... i have had new upholstery done in mine.. i chose microsuade material maroon and tan. i have been saving to get the upperbunk cushions done too, which hopefully can get done by this summer...
i dont like 'blue' and besides that the cushions were sunrotted and cheap looking The carpet on the top bunk is blue but that doesnt show.. so i will eventually get that done too maybe.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
As Christi suggested, why don't you forget the awning. Get the trailer without any awning, go camping and decide if your camping style really demands any kind of a four to five hundred dollar awning. We don't have an awnings, and yes a couple of times I've thought one would be nice, but not "nice" enough to justify the additional expense and trouble.

As for the cushions, take what they offer, resolved that you will have to make an improvement after delivery. Again, a couple of camping trips may enlighten you to additional needed corrections. We ordered Casita's 4" cushions with their material. We didn't like the material and the fact the cushions weren't reversible (vinyl on bottom side) from the get-go. Also, we decided the foam wasn't much better quality than the fabric. We aren't large people, but found the height of the cushions were a little too much and unless the cushions were rotated every so often they seemed to not return to the full balanced shape.

So, we bit the bullet and spent what some would consider "too much" and had new cushions made with new fabric and foam. When we went to the fabric store looking, we ended up buying a camo pattern of good quality that we had no intention of buying when entering the store. Back at the upholstery shop we were please to find a much better quality 3" foam that holds its shape. The cushions made with the fabric of choice on all sides can be flipped, rotated etc for longer wear, we hope.

Now I must point out, we have the large dinette area as a permanent bed, so we're talking about new foam/fabric for only the four cushions for the small dinette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	057_Camo_cushions__Medium_.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	11553
Hint, even camo cushions can still be seen.

Harold

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the awning; I will follow up and check out your suggestions. I'd rather follow the accumulated wisdom than do my own experimenting, right now...

When I bought my Scamp I debated about the awning thing too. After much thought decided to do without the awning. 80+ nights in about 40 different spots I'm sure I made the right decision. Well over half of those spots I would not have been able to use an awning. I've had an EZup for several years and used it about 3 times when camping rain issues. I also bought a Kelty shelter that I've used maybe twice. I haul the Kelty around now, it's a whole bunch lighter than EZup.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #25

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
A few years ago they would give you the number of the company they get the cushions from. Then you call them and tell them what you want. They will use your fabric or tell you what else they have. Then you tell Scamp you want the trailer without cushions and put the ones you got from the upholsterer in yourself. Scamp either puts their cushions in or they put no cushions in. Thats it. Or at least thats the way it used to be.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #26

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
And some folks prefer screen rooms to awnings.

Screen room
Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #27

I ordered my Scamp without an awning. I knew I'd want an awning even though when I was inquiring about different peoples awnings they told me I'd never use it, they didn't use theirs. Well, I use mine all the time. I rarely put it out and leave it out unless I'm somewhere where there is little or no wind. It is so easy to put in, I do so rather than having problems with the wind.

I have a little 6' x 6' Play Hut screen room that I sometimes carry. It's a pop up and has been difficult to fold down simply because it's hard to span 6' and fold at the same time. I'm going to pratice putting it up and down from now until May when I leave for the Great Lakes. I think my little screen room might be a God's Sent this summer while in MN, WI & MI.

http://www.playhut.com/backup/product_deta...=2&keyword=

I'd love to have a larger one that would fit over a campsite table but they are even more awkward for me to put up and down by myself.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Laura... I guess we older Boler owners are to blame as we found a source in Scamp to replace our cushion covers and caused a run on Scamps fabric supplies and colour choices. Their "PLAID" was a lot nicer than the origional Boler ones('70's Orange). So many of us have ordered as they were made locally in Backus Mn. according to Scamp parts dept. and fit our Bolers 99%
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie