New scamps, trimline awning, and Really Ugly Cushions... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp

So literally two days after I called the scamp folks about the cushions and they gave me the runaround, they suddenly sent me three more samples! They're not lovely - think 90s dorm furniture that's afraid to be a bold color because it's not Politically Correct - but they are NOT PLAID! Yippee!

You may think I was being picky and/or just trying to annoy the factory, folks, but you should see those plaids. And all it would have taken from the salesman was a "Oh, I see that's a problem. If we can't come up with something else in the next two months, I'm sure we can work something out, but we will probably have more fabric by then." And I would have been less frustrated.

I may be the only person out there who would really like a victorian theme, so I can't entirely expect them to be with me on that. Three non-plaid choices are good enough for me.

Thanks for the advice on the awning; I will follow up and check out your suggestions. I'd rather follow the accumulated wisdom than do my own experimenting, right now...

Laura Heiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #22

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Laura..

i dont think your being picky or anything else.. I have to agree that their pick of upholstery isnt the best choices... probably they dont get the best quality because of productions...
I say to each their own.... i have had new upholstery done in mine.. i chose microsuade material maroon and tan. i have been saving to get the upperbunk cushions done too, which hopefully can get done by this summer...
i dont like 'blue' and besides that the cushions were sunrotted and cheap looking The carpet on the top bunk is blue but that doesnt show.. so i will eventually get that done too maybe.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
As Christi suggested, why don't you forget the awning. Get the trailer without any awning, go camping and decide if your camping style really demands any kind of a four to five hundred dollar awning. We don't have an awnings, and yes a couple of times I've thought one would be nice, but not "nice" enough to justify the additional expense and trouble.

As for the cushions, take what they offer, resolved that you will have to make an improvement after delivery. Again, a couple of camping trips may enlighten you to additional needed corrections. We ordered Casita's 4" cushions with their material. We didn't like the material and the fact the cushions weren't reversible (vinyl on bottom side) from the get-go. Also, we decided the foam wasn't much better quality than the fabric. We aren't large people, but found the height of the cushions were a little too much and unless the cushions were rotated every so often they seemed to not return to the full balanced shape.

So, we bit the bullet and spent what some would consider "too much" and had new cushions made with new fabric and foam. When we went to the fabric store looking, we ended up buying a camo pattern of good quality that we had no intention of buying when entering the store. Back at the upholstery shop we were please to find a much better quality 3" foam that holds its shape. The cushions made with the fabric of choice on all sides can be flipped, rotated etc for longer wear, we hope.

Now I must point out, we have the large dinette area as a permanent bed, so we're talking about new foam/fabric for only the four cushions for the small dinette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	057_Camo_cushions__Medium_.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	11553
Hint, even camo cushions can still be seen.

Harold

Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the awning; I will follow up and check out your suggestions. I'd rather follow the accumulated wisdom than do my own experimenting, right now...

When I bought my Scamp I debated about the awning thing too. After much thought decided to do without the awning. 80+ nights in about 40 different spots I'm sure I made the right decision. Well over half of those spots I would not have been able to use an awning. I've had an EZup for several years and used it about 3 times when camping rain issues. I also bought a Kelty shelter that I've used maybe twice. I haul the Kelty around now, it's a whole bunch lighter than EZup.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
A few years ago they would give you the number of the company they get the cushions from. Then you call them and tell them what you want. They will use your fabric or tell you what else they have. Then you tell Scamp you want the trailer without cushions and put the ones you got from the upholsterer in yourself. Scamp either puts their cushions in or they put no cushions in. Thats it. Or at least thats the way it used to be.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
And some folks prefer screen rooms to awnings.

Screen room
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I ordered my Scamp without an awning. I knew I'd want an awning even though when I was inquiring about different peoples awnings they told me I'd never use it, they didn't use theirs. Well, I use mine all the time. I rarely put it out and leave it out unless I'm somewhere where there is little or no wind. It is so easy to put in, I do so rather than having problems with the wind.

I have a little 6' x 6' Play Hut screen room that I sometimes carry. It's a pop up and has been difficult to fold down simply because it's hard to span 6' and fold at the same time. I'm going to pratice putting it up and down from now until May when I leave for the Great Lakes. I think my little screen room might be a God's Sent this summer while in MN, WI & MI.

http://www.playhut.com/backup/product_deta...=2&keyword=

I'd love to have a larger one that would fit over a campsite table but they are even more awkward for me to put up and down by myself.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Laura... I guess we older Boler owners are to blame as we found a source in Scamp to replace our cushion covers and caused a run on Scamps fabric supplies and colour choices. Their "PLAID" was a lot nicer than the origional Boler ones('70's Orange). So many of us have ordered as they were made locally in Backus Mn. according to Scamp parts dept. and fit our Bolers 99%
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Quote:
I ordered my Scamp without an awning. I knew I'd want an awning even though when I was inquiring about different peoples awnings they told me I'd never use it, they didn't use theirs. Well, I use mine all the time. I rarely put it out and leave it out unless I'm somewhere where there is little or no wind. It is so easy to put in, I do so rather than having problems with the wind.

I have a little 6' x 6' Play Hut screen room that I sometimes carry. It's a pop up and has been difficult to fold down simply because it's hard to span 6' and fold at the same time. I'm going to pratice putting it up and down from now until May when I leave for the Great Lakes. I think my little screen room might be a God's Sent this summer while in MN, WI & MI.

http://www.playhut.com/backup/product_deta...=2&keyword=

I'd love to have a larger one that would fit over a campsite table but they are even more awkward for me to put up and down by myself.
W have 2 (!) of those wonderful screen rooms. When I found the 2nd one one super sale for $15 !!! it was a no brainer. Always leave that one in the van for "buggy picnics.
The trick to easy take down is sorta explained in the little paper that came with the tent. (setting up is like magic)
Hold the top with both hands spread little more than shoulder space apart (after 4 sides folded) and your feet just at the base of the folded tent.. Then take a step forward gently and walk kinda into the tent. This starts the twist/fold motion that shows you the direction the tent wants to fold up. Once that action has started, you follow through with the twist and tuck motion that curls the whole unit up into that really neat package. I found that "the walking into the tent" part was essential to the refolding.
Clear as mud I trust?
Thanks for the web site for these tents. I too would love the bigger one but can assume that it would be much more of a challenge to fold
Donna
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #30

can someone tell me were i can get the old style awninig hook up ???the metal strip that the fabric slides into. type found on so many old campers and pop ups usely sold by the foot cant find it anywere??? have a 13 ft scamp old 70s style not looking to spend500 for new awning worth more than camper
Robert W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
can someone tell me were i can get the old style awninig hook up ???the metal strip that the fabric slides into. type found on so many old campers and pop ups usely sold by the foot cant find it anywere??? have a 13 ft scamp old 70s style not looking to spend500 for new awning worth more than camper
After about 15 minutes of explaining at Camping World in Tacoma, the salesman finally picked up on what I wanted, wonder of wonders they did stock it.... If I remember correctly, about $10 for an 8 ft piece. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just got off the phone with the parts guy at Scamp -- all they have for cushion replacement covers right now are "Lakelure" and "Alpine".

No other choices now . . . but he did say they were expecting some new fabric in (and that's what he said last month).

I don't know if by "new" he means new patterns or just new bolts of the same old patterns that have been available like "Marble".

I was leaning towards getting "Marble" but now they don't have. . .

Our Scamp came to us (2nd hand) with cushions with brown on one side and beige on the other, reversable and goes with just about anything. I wish they still had something like that available!

I've resigned to getting "ugly" covers to replace the sun damaged and torn covers I have now and then making easy slipcovers in fabric of my own liking.

Maggie

Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #33

The older bag type awnings; do they come with poles and everything?? They slide on the rail right? How much? Where to buy in Massachusetts area? Simple to use??
Robert W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #34

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
The older bag type awnings; do they come with poles and everything?? They slide on the rail right? How much? Where to buy in Massachusetts area? Simple to use??

I have a bag awning that I swap between my slide in P/U camper and my Scamp.
I bought it on ebay and as I remember it cost about $160.00 or $170.00 delivered.
This is the second bag awning I have had and it is better that the first one. The upright ground poles and the rafters that go to the trailer all are hinged and fold up into the aluminium extrusion that is attached to the leading outside edge of the awning. A lot of these bag awnings have seperate unattached rafters and uprights that you have to assemble like tent poles and it is very difficult for one person to set them up. I purchased the 8 foot model and it has worked out very well.
With a little practice one person can put it up quit easily.
The brand is Shade Maker. Item #330210299265 on ebay is the awning I have only in the 8 foot width. The metal strip you are looking for is called an awning rail.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #35

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'm sure that we have had other threads on the relative merits of the stock Scamp-installed A&E Catalina 2500 awning, but I'll offer my limited experience here. Having had one on my 16' Custom Deluxe that I used a number of times, I feel qualified to comment. While the Catalina is a high-quality awning, they are not the most intuitive nor the easiest awning to put up and take down. Most awnings have arms that attach to the side of the trailer. The Catalina's awning's arms fold up and into the awning case. They're a little difficult to get in and take out, and folks under 6' tall will no doubt need a sturdy stepstool of some sort to make it work. It's helpful to have a second set of hands, but it can be put up and taken down by one person.

I certainly wouldn't pass up a used trailer with the Catalina 2500 installed, but were I ordering a new trailer today, I'd forgo the factory-installed Catalina 2500 awning and have one of the next-up-the-line A&E Horizon crank-out awnings installed aftermarket if Scamp couldn't install one at the time of build.

A&E also offers a bag awning called the Trim Line for those of you with awning rails who don't want to spend a fortune on an awning.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
<cut> I'll offer my limited experience here. Having had one on my 16' Custom Deluxe that I used a number of times, I feel qualified to comment. While the Catalina is a high-quality awning, they are not the most intuitive nor the easiest awning to put up and take down. Most awnings have arms that attach to the side of the trailer. The Catalina's awning's arms fold up and into the awning case. They're a little difficult to get in and take out, and folks under 6' tall will no doubt need a sturdy stepstool of some sort to make it work. <cut>
I agree with Roger the Catalina is not the easiest awning to put away on your own. I used the one on my 16' Scamp a great deal this summer on the wet west coast of BC and could not have lived without it. I did find though the more times I used it the easier it seemed to get to put up and take down. Seems my original struggles with it were owner/operator issues. I needed to read the manual!

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote