New Silver Cloud - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
New Silver Cloud

We picked up our new Silver Cloud. We love it. We tow with an Expedition with full tow package. The Expedition has very quick steering reaction. When the wind is blowing and semis pass we get buffeted. The only solutions we find are slow down, hold the steering wheel tightly, or add a sway bar. We have a WDH. Can the steering sensitivity be adjusted? Any other thoughts?

Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Did you have your WDH installed by somebody who knows what they are doing? I tow my 17' Escape with a RAV4, using a WDH and I don't experience sway or buffeting from semis. Improperly installed WDH is the reason some vehicle manuals say not to use one. They can't count on it being properly installed.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Registry
Installed as per instructions and by the RV tech. What would improper look like?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Should be good then, but you need to know the weight of the trailer and the tongue weight. Maybe you have too much weight behind the trailer axle.
Don't think you can tell by looking, unless the chains are not set properly ( by you when you hooked up. Depends on the installation, but I hook on the third link with two hanging. Did you get instructions on how many links to leave hanging?
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Cindy, the more square shape of the Big Foot as compared to a U-haul, Scamp, or Casita, may contribute to handling issues, which a sway bar may help out.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Registry
That is what it is on. Tech said this too
Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

Registry
Dave Paula

We plan to look into a sway bar*
Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I bought a '96 Windstar, new, and the steering seemed off. Wind would make the van move more than it should, and I felt like I was having to do a lot of steering corrections. I took it in to the dealer, they adjusted the rack & pinion somehow, and the problem went away. Not sure if that will help you, but thought I'd mention it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Experience tells me that if weight distribution were the issue you would notice the trailer fishtailing at highway speeds, especially down hills, even without wind or passing trucks. After dialing in weight distribution (by shifting what is stored where - no WDH) I still had a little bit of fishtailing which I lived with for some time. A tire upgrade to 225/75R15 load range D Goodyear Marathons (from 205/75R15 load range D) eliminated the rest of the fishtailing.

A sway bar may be the way to go to help with the effect from passing big rigs. Our Sprinter van came stock with a sway bar. In response to our mentioning being buffeted by semis passing to windward, a Sprinter repair shop in Oregon convinced us to install their aftermarket heavy-duty sway bar. Since upgrading the sway bar we have experienced much better cornering when towing our 4000# Bigfoot 17 and a dramatic reduction in buffeting from passing trucks.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tires. Hummm. Cindy I remember hearing the dealer put new tires on the trailer. What kind?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My first thought would be tires. Trailers tires; air pressure, load rating, etc.? Then tow vehicle; rear tire air pressure and maybe rear shocks. The only time I have experienced sway was with an older tow vehicle. I didn't know the rear shocks were bad until I hitched a trailer to it.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #12

Registry
Sorry to be ignorant, but I don't know what tires were put on.

Kevin was able to corral the sway after we learned that the best way to cope was grab the steering wheel and use muscles to keep the van in our lane and not try to correct it. The Expedition also, after the first time, kicked in and helped. It became clear that it only occurred when there was a cross-wind and the trucks were passing really fast.

This creates a problem though. I have Dupuytren's Contracture on my hands, so I cannot grab the steering wheel hard enough to spell his driving.

Cindy
Old 04-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #13

I just cruised RV.net and found this. It doesn't help much as it's not a direct comparison of tug and tow, but equal enough I hope you find it of value and know you're not alone:

I just bought my dads Ford Expedition and although we will primarily tow our 25 foot trailer with our E-150 van, I might want to tow with the expedition. the maximum trailer weight for both are about the same, but I with the shorter wheel base of the Expedition I was wondering how well it would tow. I have some issues with the vac, but I'm not sure if it is just becuase I am new to towing or if these are actuall issues (a little sway with 18 wheeler going by, more sway the higher speeds I go etc.).

I have a Coachmen Lite 241 FK (25 ft.) and 2001 Ford Expedition 4.6L V8 and would not recommend anyone to go over 60 mph with this setup. We have the equalizer hitch, but do not have any sway control configuration with this rig. I am very new to towing a travel trailer and can attest to the vaccum effect that a semi has when we're passed and wind gusts, not a real safe feeling (considering a new Dodge 1/2 ton).
Old 04-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #14

Registry
Thanks, Donna. We know we were going too fast, but we were trying to beat this winter storm.

Our 2007 Expedition was a police car and has the top of the line towing package with heavy-duty springs, etc.

Cindy
Old 04-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Thanks, Donna. We know we were going too fast, but we were trying to beat this winter storm.
Wishing you safe travels! Last I heard you were in Wyoming. This should be south of you... you're not going through Colorado are you?

Storm could bring up to 4 feet of snow to parts of Colorado
Old 04-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #16

Registry
Not just south; also east. Travel not recommended at Cheyenne, WY which was to be our next stop and I80 closed due to a crash.

Cindy
Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #17

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
I don't have any experience with them, but AirTabs might help. They are mostly marketed for fuel savings, but they also appear to help with wind buffeting such as you're deceiving.

You can see them at AirTab.com.

Just an idea.
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud