new tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
Hi I have a 1979 Fiber Stream and I want to get new tires for it. It has tandem wheels even though it is a light weight fiber glass trailer. Some tire stores say I NEED "trailer tires" for $300 out the door and some places say I can use car tires for $200 out the door. I don't mind paying the extra for trailer tires but don't want to have tires on the little trailer that are really made to fit on larger tandem wheel stick trailers. The size is 155/12 which is really small and really cheep in just steel belted radials. What does everyone think I should do? Ken
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #2

This is a old topic around here.It has caused some to argue the merits of both types of tires.I would strongly recomend trailer tires as that is what they are made for.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 21 ft Bigfoot
I've owned 10 different trailers (boat, travel & utility) and the ONLY time I ever had a tire issue was on the third trailer with a 'ST' rated tire. It completely shredded at about 60 mph only two years old. After that incident I have used nothing but automobile tires on every single trailer since including my current 5,000 lb Bigfoot. Most automobile tires are rated well beyond the weight limits of trailers. A 2,500 lb. trailer will be fine with an automobile tire that is capable of handling a 5,000 lb vehicle. Just check your speed ratings (S, T, W etc.) and load range (B, C, D etc.)

BOTTOM LINE: The tire doesn't know if its on a trailer or a car.
Chuck Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
So far, I run "P" tires on both my 13' and 17' Bolers with no ill effects...13" on the 13 and 14" on the 17......they track true with no sway problems and as near as I can tell they both ride very smooth.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have used both and had no problems with either. The car tires were on the trailers when I bought them, and when replacement time came, on went the trailer tires.

Supposedly, trailer tires have a different sidewall that can stand the bouncy flex better.

Since MY tire store had no apprieciable difference in price, I went with trailer tires.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Whether you go with trailer or auto tires, the prices you've been quoted seem a bit high to me. I just replaced the ST175/80R13's on my 02 Scamp with Goodyear Marathon 185's. These are trailer tires ('ST' designation) which I ordered from www.tirerack.com. I paid $129 delivered for the pair. Mounting and balancing added $40.

Goodyear doesn't make the Marathon in a 12" size but searching the tirerack site turned up Kumho's 155/80/TR12's at $22 each. Give the guys at tirerack a call and see if they would recommend this tire for your application.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Hi;

I just went through the same thing with my Fiber Stream. I landed up going with standard trailer tires, because the clearance between the tire and the wheel well is extremely small, only slightly more than an inch, and this is with an empty trailer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	swheel_well_at_door.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	3151

Regardless of the tire, make sure it has sufficient load rating, and don't forget that the spare needs to be the same type and size!
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
$300 for 4 trailer tires seems kind of expensive to me. When I had my tires replaced on my Scamp, it seems to me I spent around $100, including mounting and balancing.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
Thanks for all the help. I went with the trailer tires. they were $35 each and I opted for 5 tires. Had them put on today and all is well for the Oregon trip. I got the trailer in its garage where I will tinker a bit with the many things that rattle loose in travel. Take care, safe driving and towing to all, Ken and Chris Hildner 1979 Fiber Stream
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires