New to the Forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp 13
Illinois
New to the Forum

Hello, I am a new member but not new to this great forum. I have been using the forum to help with outfitting the Scamp camper we are planning to order. We go to Utah a couple of times a year to go 4 wheeling and hike and we are looking at the Scamp as a replacement for our tent. Therefore, we are going to keep it simple – 13 ft. with the Standard package. Options: outside outlet and porch light, additional 120 volt and 12 volt interior outlets, brakes, vinyl floor, vent fan, group 27 battery and 54 inch bed. Furnace maybe, but no A/C and no bathroom, the places we camp don’t have electricity and a $5 shower every 3 or 4 days seems to work. Let me know if I am leaving off any must have options or anything we need to delete from the Standard package, (city water/curtains?). We are going to try to make it to Backus before we place our order; probably a good idea since the only one we have seen was a 1984 that had been “personalized”. Any help appreciated, Terry.
Terry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Terry. The Scamp folks with be with you soon with some ideas and answers.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Welcome to the forum Terry. I would suggest that you order the axle with a downward angle, to give you the most ground clearance. We have been going to Moab for years, tenting, and then with our 13' Scamp. This year will be our first time to attend the Easter Jeep Safari, and the first with our Lil Snoozy.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Welcome to the forum Terry. How are you planning to keep your food cold? I sure enjoy having the 110/12v/propane fridge. I don't use the 12v option but sure like the propane option for boondocking.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to FGRV Terry
Old 12-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New to the Forum

Lil, I think the "package" includes a 3-way fridge.

Terry, welcome to the forum! Your selections sound like exactly what I'd order if I had to replace mine tomorrow (except the outside outlet - what for, since you won't be plugged in?). I would get the furnace. Never thought I'd use ours until we did a shoulder-season trip last week. City water? Never use ours, but I'd still get it. If you plan to use the on-board fresh water system much, you might want to get the 12V pump. Wish we had the wider bed.

I'm excited for you! Enjoy your new trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #7

Illinois
David, I will ask about the axle mod, thanks; agree Moab is a great area to 4 wheel and camp.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

Illinois
Lil, the refrig is part of the package TM
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #9

Illinois
Jon, I probably won't use the outside outlet either, but for $40 I thought I might add it. Furnace is a good Idea, it snowed on us last spring. Haven't decided on the pump, plan on using the sink to brush our teeth and I have had to replace the water pump on my boat a couple of times. We have been keeping a water jug on the picnic table for drinking and washing dishes which worked fine when we tent camped.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's what we do also. We don't use any on-board plumbing. Bottled water for drinking and a 6-gallon container outside for cooking and washing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Scamp keeps a list of owners that will give tours to potential buyers. You might want to check with Scamp and see if there are any in your area.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #12

Illinois
Scamp tour

Thanks Pam, they gave me a couple of owners within 150 miles of me, I live in Southern Illinois, but both had sold their campers. I will call them again tomorrow to see if they have a list for IL, Ky, IN and Missouri.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, I would leave the curtain hardware off as they use a crazy amount of rivets to put them on and then you can add what you want later and not put holes to the outside.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Welcome to FGRV

The furnace is a good idea.

We camped in Utah at Bryce Canyon in the middle of July and it got down to 25ş at night!

Many people on this forum are former tenters, including us!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
To Kootenai Girl,
How do you add curtains and their rods without putting holes in the fiberglass? Personally I like the curtain rods, for the most part, as I like curtains to personalize my trailer. I agree that there are a TON of rivets, though.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 007.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape fiberglasses blocks of wood to the shell during the build and attaches things like curtain rods to the blocks with screws. Simple really.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome Terry! We went to Backus last January to talk to the salesman and place an order. I did exactly what you're doing. I read all I could find about the options in this forum, and did the deed. We ordered the same options you mentioned, but added A/C and an awning later because our daughter moved to FL and we see it coming in handy. I would advise you get extra 12v and 110a/c outlets, even though you don't need them where you go now. It doesn't add much to the cost, but when you find out how much fun the little campers are, you will want to go everywhere. We use our outside 110a/c outlet daily for cooking on a hotplate, plugging in a radio, awning lights, etc. Recommend extra light fixtures as well. Change the bulbs to LED when you can to use much less current when boon docking. We went with the larger bed and are glad we did. Good choice.

I'd gladly show you ours, but it would be quite a haul from S. IL to Chicagoland. Ours is under a cover in an outside storage lot now anyway.

Ck your weather before you leave for Backus. We left in a blizzard and -20 temp. It was the first time I heard the term "Polar Vortex". It was still a fun trip. Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Illinois
scamp 13

Tom,
Thanks for the offer to tour your camper and if you were closer I would take you up on it. However, I would really feel more comfortable if I go to the factory and talk to them face to face and, if we get a 4 day weather window after the holidays we will probably make a trip to Backus. Talked to Wayne today and he is going to send me some contacts in the 618; 217; 812; and 270 area codes; I am in no rush as we won't need the trailer until April. It sounds like you have the same layout as we are planning to order and I am still undecided about a few of the options. Would you mind if I give you a call (Wayne gave me your #). Terry
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Terry, call me, check your private messages. (upper right corner)

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry M View Post
Hello, I am a new member but not new to this great forum. I have been using the forum to help with outfitting the Scamp camper we are planning to order. We go to Utah a couple of times a year to go 4 wheeling and hike and we are looking at the Scamp as a replacement for our tent. Therefore, we are going to keep it simple – 13 ft. with the Standard package. Options: outside outlet and porch light, additional 120 volt and 12 volt interior outlets, brakes, vinyl floor, vent fan, group 27 battery and 54 inch bed. Furnace maybe, but no A/C and no bathroom, the places we camp don’t have electricity and a $5 shower every 3 or 4 days seems to work. Let me know if I am leaving off any must have options or anything we need to delete from the Standard package, (city water/curtains?). We are going to try to make it to Backus before we place our order; probably a good idea since the only one we have seen was a 1984 that had been “personalized”. Any help appreciated, Terry.
I don't know why you would need the additional 120 volt outlets since you don't plan on camping places with electricity.
I recommend that you have the 3 way fridge and a furnace. Running the 3 way fridge on propane saves a lot of trips for ice.
You never know when a cold snap will hit while you're out. We got caught in some very cold weather in TX, the furnace was a must at that point in time. Much of the time it's really nice to have. We use light weight sleeping bags and the furnace thermostat is set to 50°-55°F. Works for us.

You can go to Backus or ask them if there's somebody close to show theirs. Phone calls are cheap and Scamp likes doing business over the phone.