New Trailer Issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
New Trailer Issues

We just replaced our fiberglass trailer with a new Bigfoot 25RQ. There is an issue I cannot find an answer to.

Our hot water heater will not work with gas or electric it's an attwood ac/propan. The control module is blowing fuses so I understand why the gas system isn't working.

Does anyone know if the AC side of the water heater should work if the control module is bad?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
We just replaced our fiberglass trailer with a new Bigfoot 25RQ. There is an issue I cannot find an answer to.

Our hot water heater will not work with gas or electric it's an attwood ac/propan. The control module is blowing fuses so I understand why the gas system isn't working.

Does anyone know if the AC side of the water heater should work if the control module is bad?

This is one approach. You'll get lots of answers, most worhtless. My suggestion get the model number look up on the internet Atwood's repair locations, given them a call. It if requires to go to shop contact make sure you have warranty information with. Many component supplies have a 2 to 3 year warranty.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #3

Mississippi
testing

It arrived tuesday, tried the hot water heater friday found the fuse blown. Going to check the heating element with multimeter to see if it's bad this afternoon.

I didn't know that attwood was now owned by dometic till I started looking at this stuff.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Tank is full of water?
Old 08-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Mississippi
Tank

Tank is full of water, it is not bypassed. Heating element is showing 10.4 ohms resistance. No power though to the terminals, Thats what I'm trying to find out, if the control module is bad for the gas operation will that also shut down the electric operation of the heater.

The control module blows fuses so there is definitely something there.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
I’m surprised this was not discovered during your walk through. Odd. I assume propane tanks are full and open, and your house battery (batteries) are fully charged. In the spirit of keeping it simple, I also assume the MW/HW switch is on HW, and the Gas or Electric select mode select switches are on the aporopriate mode.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #7

North Carolina
I have a new 25RQ as well. Out at it right now. So it’s the 2 amp controller fuse that’s blowing? And it has blown after replacement? If that is so, should get a warranty replacement of the control module. Just two screws hold it in. I would start with that.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #8

Mississippi
Controller

Thats the same conclusion I've come to about the controller.

We didn't do a walk around due to buying it almost 3000 miles away and having it shipped to us.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #9

North Carolina
Clarifying my previous post

Just thought I would attach photos of the switch positions I mentioned in my previous post. The microwave/hot water heater switch has gotten me in trouble on occasion when I told the wife there was hot water and then...oops, there was not. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome. We had ours shipped 3,000 miles from BC to North Carolina, but fortunately we have a local dealer. I would imagine Grant would ship you a new controller, or help you get one from a local source under warranty. Sorry for your troubles.
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0535.jpg   IMG_0536.jpg  

IMG_0537.jpg  
Old 08-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Mississippi
Yep, ours is identical to that.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

Mississippi
Controller

Bad controller and it does shut down electric and gas when it goes out. Makes me wonder, I was told everything was checked before it left the dealer.

Working on a few more issues that need solving, wife isn't happy!
Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #12

Name: R
Trailer: Escape
Illinois
Warranty

I have a 1 yr old Escape with a suburban water heater, gas-electric. Picked it up last July. Tested ok before I took ownership. A few weeks out, the gas portion stopped working. Checked the obvious switches, etc.abn called Escape.

In general I recommend calling the manufacturer or dealer first. In this case and others I gave found them very responsive.

They asked some questions, noted that it was the circuit board and directed me to call surburban as it was a warranty issue.

In general I recommend calling the part manufacture at this point before you void the warranty.

I called Surburban and they confirmed the problem and directed me to some authorized dealers. Non of the dealers were willing to take on the work. Most wanted to sell me a Dinosaur Electronics board. I finally found a dealer who laid it out for me.

It was peak season. If this had been November he would have taken on the warranty work. But, it did not pay enough, there was paperwork and payment delays involved. He recommended the Dinosaur board, told me where I could obtain one and gave instructions. The board solved the problem - and the are very cell made.

My approach to these kinds of problems is similar to those who recommend taking the Warranty route. I only took direct action in the beginning to test. In the end I only took direct action when I clearly understood the issue and realized that Warranty in this case was not very helpful.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I almost hate to have a warranty, because of the hassles.
I am lucky in that I can fix almost everything, given access to the internet and parts.

Steps.
1. Determine symptoms
2. Google symptoms
3. Google parts
4. You Tube repairs.
5. Buy more parts.
6. Repeat as necessary
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #14

Mississippi
Board

Yeah we figured it was he board after we check everything else with multimeter. They still wanted the camper to be towed to an authorized repair place. We got lucky found a guy who said bring the piece in and he would check it no charge, it was bad he called attwood/dometic and has a new replacement on the way.

What model of dinosaur board?
Old 08-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #15

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I almost hate to have a warranty, because of the hassles.
I am lucky in that I can fix almost everything, given access to the internet and parts.

Steps.
1. Determine symptoms
2. Google symptoms
3. Google parts
4. You Tube repairs.
5. Buy more parts.
6. Repeat as necessary
Ha ha Ha ,....That's funny. Modern times makes it easy.

I would much rather fix things myself rather than have some minimum wage character with a hangover tearing into my RV.

I know, I know, that's an unfair statement. My point is, you never know what you are getting into. You may get lucky and get one of the many great professionals out there that can do the repair at a level you wish you could match. Like, have you ever watched a real pro do caulking work??

For low cost repairs like replacing an electronic board, even tho theoretically the warranty covers it, its' simpler, quicker and less frustrating to just get it done. I'm sitting on the same side of the campfire as "redbarron" on this.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #16

Name: Dale
California
I assume it is new, you said it is new and should be under warranty.

Grant will take care of you. Call and bug him. If you have any more troubles call and get his ok to take it to a RV repair place and get it taken care of. He has taken care of issues we had. One was the refrigerator was not plugged in at the factory. Dealer should have caught it. Also had some relay issues, and he talked us through it.

We pay big money for these trailers and the factory will take care of you if you ask.

That has been our experience. Don't be afraid to call him.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
According to the OP's last post (#14), sounds like he's found a shop that is handling the repair under the appliance warranty.

It also sounds like they would have preferred he brought the whole trailer in and let them do the diagnosis and R&R. That allows them to bill labor to the appliance manufacturer. Seems reasonable, since that's how repair shops make money. They're not getting much just providing the part as a warranty replacement. Goodwill gesture, perhaps.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would have called Atwood FIRST. It's their product and more than likely have had this identical problem before. Quick assessment, new part sent (hopefully) and you're off to the races!

When ever I have had questions/issues with my Coleman Cub A/C, I dealt exclusively with them and they were !A1! on their phone support and helping me. One example, I had a broken vent happen on my A/C when I was in Florida @ Gulf Shores on vacation. I called them and an entire new vent system beat me home!

Call Atwood and forget a dealer first!!! (Especially Camping World!)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #19

Mississippi
Hot water

We have hot water. Atwood has been having multiple failures with their new boards. They sent the new one made by old manufacturer and all is good.

Now if weather will cooperate for an upcoming trip we have planned.