new trailer lover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Name: Julia
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Smile new trailer lover

I just purchased my first travel trailer...1986 Scamp. I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited. Can anyone tell me which Hitch to get and what do I do for a break controller? I am a total newby...HELP
jabithorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
your car has no hitch reciever at all rigth now?

so you'll first need to get a 2" class III receiver assembly specific to your car, I believe Draw-Tite, Curt, and Reese all offer these for that generation Outback.

2nd, you'll need trailer hitch wiring with a 7-blade RV connector. this will require both a trailer light converter module, which you connect to your existing tail light circuits, this can be hidden behind a panel on one side of the back of the wagon, and is connected to various pins on the 7-blade, second you'll need to run a fused heavy gauge power wire (for the trailer charging circuit) from the battery to a relay then onto to the 7-blade, the relay would be triggered by your ignition circuit, 3rd, a heavy gauge brake wire from under the dash to the 7-blade. the brake controller mounts under or on the dash as convenient, and needs that brake wire, a power wire (which can be wired to the same relay as is supplying the charge power, a ground wire, and also needs a wire to the brake pedal switch so the brake controller knows when your brakes are depressed.

if your Subaru has an automatic transmission, you should ask your mechanic about installing a heavy duty transmission cooler, and possibly an aux engine oil cooler, too. If your Subaru has a CVT transmission, erase everything I said above, sell the Subaru, and buy something else which comes with a class III tow package to save most of the grief above.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Hi Julia, did you get a 13' or a 16' Scamp? The Subie most likely is rated for only 200 lbs hitch weight, so I hope you got a 13'er.

I believe Subaru does not permit use of a weight distribution hitch, so you're just going to be towing on the ball mount. As for what receiver to bolt onto your Subie's underside, it looks like you can get either a Class II or (stronger) Class III unit. Since you can get either one for about the same money, Class III seems like the obvious choice (not that it will increase how much you can tow, but stronger is better). I like Draw-Tite just fine; I've had Curt receivers break after considerable use. https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2012_...back+Wagon.htm

As for brake controller, it's hard to beat the Tekonsha Prodigy. Either P2 or P3 model will do fine. https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2012_Sub...back+Wagon.htm

I am not 'death' on CVTs (continuously variable transmissions), but they are not well proven yet for towing applications, therefore many folks are leery of them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote