New Trillium 1978 4500 owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Went to Eugene Oregon this last Saturday and picked up My 1978 4500 Trillium. I have some things I'm going to do
#1 replaced the flooring.
#2 Replace the cabinet doors and drawers. Any suggestions here?
#3 The dinette table was not the original. Can any one send me pictures of how the original table looked and went together? From the picture I've seen it appears to be in 2 pieces. Does it hinge or are they separate?
#4 At the end of the kitchen counter was there supposed to be a hinged extension to the counter?
#5 What are you putting on the back splash behind the sink and counter. There was something here before but was taken out?

Thanks Micki
Michelle M Furlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Michelle

A lot of our members have used the Home Depot allure flooring.

To replace the doors/drawers you will want a thin plywood (3/8") and then apply a matching edging and then apply a durable finish. I plan to do mine in birch this winter.

Here is a shot of the 1300, I believe the 4500 is the same but longer: Table

Some trailers (mine has it) have the hinged shelf. I have never used it.

The backsplash on mine is the original fiberglass. Probably a previous owner had placed something there.

Congrats on your new trailer and don't forget to post some pictures!

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Hey, Micki Welcome!
I'm also the new owner of a 4500. Can't type too much right now as the baby is in my right hand. The table was my first project; I replaced the top with 3/4" birch ply. The 2 pieces are a "leaf", just like a dining room table. I used the old pieces as a template. If you don't have the table undercaridge then I'd recommend skipping the "leaf" option. After finishing my table, I've found that the leaf will be seldom used and problematic. I wouldn't do it again. Pics. are here. Counter extention is exactly that; mine was kinda beat up and I replaced it with a cheap bamboo cutting board.
More later.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Michelle
This is what I did in my 4500 for doors and drawer fronts.
Birch Plywood with a light roundover on edges and clear Poly finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Originals_2___2368.jpg   Originals_2___2367.jpg  

Originals_2___2370.jpg   Originals_2___2370.jpg  

Originals_2___2371.jpg   Originals_2___2378.jpg  

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #5

Here are a few of the table.

I cant find the floor pics right now but will look for them later.

Hope these help.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0622.jpg   IMG_0619.jpg  

IMG_0618.jpg   IMG_0616.jpg  

IMG_0615.jpg   IMG_0616.jpg  

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Ed,

What thickness plywood did you use? Looks close to 1/2 or even 5/8's.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi Ed,

What thickness plywood did you use? Looks close to 1/2 or even 5/8's.
Booker
I am sure it was 1/2" as I used what I already had on hand. I use a lot of 1/4,1/2 and 3/4 but only use 3/8 or 5/8 when needed.

I really like the look of the exposed ends when rounded and poly'd so it was perfect for me.
I did have to adjust for the latches as the 1/2' is thicker than the original doors.

Ed
Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #8

Oh and I also found a 1/8" piece for the fridge door panel and the extruded shelf frony accent too!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #9

I have used the allure flooring in our quest bath in our home and I was thinking to using in the trillium too. I bought some 3/8 inch high density particle board for the cabinets today. I want paint them a glossy dark blue with a brown stripe. Sounds weird I know but the upholstery was redone in a very nice blue brown materials and I think it will look good once it's done. The picture of the table helps to understand what was there. I will show my husband as that is going to be his project. I will post some pictures. Thanks for your reply. Micki

Quote:
Hi Michelle

A lot of our members have used the Home Depot allure flooring.

To replace the doors/drawers you will want a thin plywood (3/8") and then apply a matching edging and then apply a durable finish. I plan to do mine in birch this winter.

Here is a shot of the 1300, I believe the 4500 is the same but longer: Table

Some trailers (mine has it) have the hinged shelf. I have never used it.

The backsplash on mine is the original fiberglass. Probably a previous owner had placed something there.

Congrats on your new trailer and don't forget to post some pictures!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #10

The leaf set up looks cumbersome. I think just the 2 pieces with the front piece using a leg looks good. It appears that there is a storage spot in the closet where that front piece fits. I like the openness of the front of the table not always having to be there. I will put my husband on the counter extension it would come in handy.

Quote:
Hey, Micki Welcome!
I'm also the new owner of a 4500. Can't type too much right now as the baby is in my right hand. The table was my first project; I replaced the top with 3/4" birch ply. The 2 pieces are a "leaf", just like a dining room table. I used the old pieces as a template. If you don't have the table undercaridge then I'd recommend skipping the "leaf" option. After finishing my table, I've found that the leaf will be seldom used and problematic. I wouldn't do it again. Pics. are here. Counter extention is exactly that; mine was kinda beat up and I replaced it with a cheap bamboo cutting board.
More later.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #11

Your cabinets look great. A couple questions. on the dinette side of your closet what did you do there and what is up above in the little boxed in area? I also see you trimmed out the floor in wood it also looks really good.

Quote:
Michelle
This is what I did in my 4500 for doors and drawer fronts.
Birch Plywood with a light roundover on edges and clear Poly finish.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Your cabinets look great. A couple questions. on the dinette side of your closet what did you do there and what is up above in the little boxed in area? I also see you trimmed out the floor in wood it also looks really good.

Michelle

The mount on the side of the closet is a TV mount for an LCD TV.
I installed the panel there to not stress the fiberglas with the mount at all.There is a similar size panel on the inside of the closet and they are bolted together thru the side of the closet.
Overkill for sure but that is how I do it.

The little box above that is a power panel to provide switching for lights and 12volt outlets on the side of it and through out the egg.
This is the best pic I could find right now.

Also I installed the floor with some kind of those interlocking planks and finished with 1"X2" clear Pine slightly rounded over and clear poly finished for the trim.
Looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0567.jpg   IMG_0569.jpg  

IMG_0575.jpg   IMG_0572.jpg  

Originals_2___2370.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium
Hi there

I just re-united with my Trillium 4500 last week after storing out of state for year +

So I am a new-like owner too. Will be following this thread as I will be doing some mods too. Ed, really like your cabinets and the support wall panel for TV too. Was thinking on how to support a tv arm and like your idea.

That plywood is birch? It looks awfully nice for a home depot purchase.

Thanks!
sadie10023 - Barbraa
sadie10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Hi there

I just re-united with my Trillium 4500 last week after storing out of state for year +

So I am a new-like owner too. Will be following this thread as I will be doing some mods too. Ed, really like your cabinets and the support wall panel for TV too. Was thinking on how to support a tv arm and like your idea.

That plywood is birch? It looks awfully nice for a home depot purchase.

Thanks!
sadie10023 - Barbraa

I should clarify,this is not the Home Depot birch plywood.
The stuff at hardware store is just regular plywood with a thin birch veneer on the surface.
It also has far fewer plys in the construction than I used here and often there are voids in the inside plys too.

I used a Void free Baltic Birch that comes in 5' x 5' sheets instead of the 4' x 8' sheets of the hardware store item.
The plys are all birch and there are about twice as many plys too.
This way when rounded over the edge is an attractive(to me)uniform thickness and density edge that takes a nice finish and will not chip or tear when finished too.

It is harder to find and a little nore expensive but the higher grade of plywood is more stable and looks a lot better to me.
It is also stronger for a given thickness due to the extra plys and zero void construction.

Most lumber yards will either have some or be able to tell you where you can find it.

Ed

Tags
trillium