new uhaul, no clue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
We finally bought a trailer after searching for 6 months. We ended up with an 84 Uhaul 13 footer and think it is just what we needed. I started cleaning it today and I think it is in pretty good shape, but have some very basic questions:

The elctrical works, but the amount of light that the fixtures puts out will not work for much. Is this normal? Do I need to change the lightbulbs?

How to we convert the dinette into a bed? I figured out how to remove the table top and stand, now how to I make the platform complete so I can layout my cushions (not worried about cushion layout yet, just the platform.

Can the parts for the front bunk be bought anywhere? We'd like to have the option of a sleeping spot for a fourth person (child).

That's all for now, but I am sure I will have more questions as I continue to explore.

Thanks for the help.
cvesbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
The table should fit into the slots/cut outs along the front of the dinette seats... if you have the original table.

If not, it should be easy to fashon a platform.

Your light problem could be as simple as a low battery. Or it could be other electrical problems, but check the charge on the battery first.

The battery could be old and not hold much of a charge anymore. are the lights dim on 120v? If so, convertor issues. I am not much help with those. I don't have one and probably never will.

Do Uhauls COME with a convertor?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our Burro is like the Uhaul. We just found that the lights that came with the Burro to be inadequate. We addd a light below the cupboard over the stove and hang a couple of flourescent work lights from hooks next to the side windows.

Cindy
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Congratulations! You have acquired an excellent and uncommon egg with many unusual and desirable features.

The UHaul has its own solar panel and converter. I added 12volt reading lights over the dinette and up front. With a good battery, you should be able to light up nicely anywhere, any time.

The dinette table drops down to shoulders on the edges of the seats. The table is okay if you're feeding two adults and two kids (which I assume you may be). For just two adults, we found it too heavy, unstable, awkward to get around, so we got rid of it and use a smaller folding table. For the bed, I made two 3/4" pine boards to fit; they stack under the rear cushion when not in use.

Don't know what to do about the front gaucho bunk. Again, we scrapped ours along with the multiple, complicated cushions. Had two cushions made up to fit, so we have a comfortable 'couch' up front.

If your UHaul still has its original swamp cooler, you might find it useful in arid New Mexico. In the humid Midwest, it is useless; we got rid of it and installed a FanTastic Fan, which gave us almost 2" more head room.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #5

Oh, duh, the table fits and makes a nice bed. We are charging up the battery to see if it needs replacing, but we will probably have to add a few lights as you all suggested. I think it should be easy enought to make a new bunk, but this shouldn't be an issue for another year or so, our second child won't be born until May. Our trailer didn't come with a swamp cooler, so we might put in the fantastic fan this spring. Tomorrow we wil try the furnace and stove-I hope they work, we are taking our first trip this weekend and it has been cold around here. Thanks for your help all, Tina
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Oh, duh, the table fits and makes a nice bed. We are charging up the battery to see if it needs replacing, but we will probably have to add a few lights as you all suggested. I think it should be easy enought to make a new bunk, but this shouldn't be an issue for another year or so, our second child won't be born until May. Our trailer didn't come with a swamp cooler, so we might put in the fantastic fan this spring. Tomorrow we wil try the furnace and stove-I hope they work, we are taking our first trip this weekend and it has been cold around here. Thanks for your help all, Tina
Swamp Coolers and Solar Electricity. Wow!! I'm jealous!! I wish my 13' scamp had that. We do love our Egg though. No furnace in ours though.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Can the parts for the front bunk be bought anywhere? We'd like to have the option of a sleeping spot for a fourth person (child).
Scamp and Trillium and Casita still make that style of front bunk arrangement, but their dimensions may be different than UHaul.

A while back, Kurt in BC had the same problem you do now.
Only, he called it a "couch". See his story in this link.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Scamp and Trillium and Casita still make that style of front bunk arrangement, but their dimensions may be different than UHaul.

A while back, Kurt in BC had the same problem you do now.
Only, he called it a "couch". See his story in this link.

Perfect, that looks rather easy (for my husband) to do!

Thanks, Tina
Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
For the most in-depth info you can get, just check the left hand column where it says "Document Center", there's a couple of original U-Haul manuals on PDF files there.

Here's a direct link to them...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/manuals.html?pageid=596
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul