New unhappy Trillium owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: marian
Trailer: Concerned Trillium Owner
California
New unhappy Trillium owner

I'm brand new to this blog and not sure how this works. I am looking for some feedback on the Trilliums. My husband and I bought a 2014 Trillium in Pleasanton July 2013. We've only taken it out twice - both trips about 150 miles round trip. Before we took it out the first time, we discovered the electrical wasn't properly hooked up and took it back to the dealer. The first time we tried to fill the holding tank, the clamps weren't tightened properly and water shot all over the inside of the trailer. There are small cracks around the door and the dealer told us that was normal for Trillium. On our 2nd little overnighter, we discovered the thermostat to the heater was not working. On the way home, on Highway 17, doing 55 around a turn, the left wheel flew off, crossed the meridian, and flew thru oncoming traffic. Luckily, no one was injured or worse. We made it safely to a turn out and trailer is of course damaged. Could have been so much worse. We discovered the lugnuts on the right tire were only finger tight. We are dealing with insurance and the dealer promised to "make it right". I didn't know where to start to find someone up the chain at Trillium since my confidence in the dealer is not good. I called Trillium in Canada and he gave me a number for Tom Young who is apparently making them in California, but indicated he would be very surprised if I got anywhere with this. Does anyone have anything positive t0 say about these trailers? I would love to feel safe traveling in this, since we payed a fortune for it and are stuck with it. marianb
marianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Was your trailer made in Canada or USA (California)??
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

California
I believe it was manufactured in the US.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #4

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I understand that buying new is not always a sure bet but lord. A 2014 to boot. 3 months and all this took place would make me do things that might put me in jail. I would get that thing back to the dealer and let him take care of ALL the problems as I was hooking up to another and giving a wave while saying call me, not.
I did it with a new car so why not a RV.
Tell your story loud and clear, over and over. Put the brand and dealers name all over it everywhere you go. Something has to be done to fix this right now.
Very very sorry to hear this has happen. But your doing the right thing by telling others. I sure hope the dealer will take care of you but it sounds like they are not. You did buy it from the dealer not the company. As far as the company goes they should be sending someone out yesterday on this. Do not settle for anything less. Have you called your state General Atty? I would call everybody and then a few more to find out what can be done.
Someone could have be hurt BADLY!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianb View Post
I believe it was manufactured in the US.
The trailers built by Team Trillium Manufacturing in Calgary have the name Outback across the rock guard and will no longer have any trillium name or logo on the door or elsewhere.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ess-45046.html

This is a thread started by P. Raz a few years back outlining some of the issues he had with the present day U.S. Trillium group.

I visited the Pleasanton RV dealer and saw these Trilliums. I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish, though I thought structurally they looked sound. You wouldn't think you'd have to have the dealer go over everything before you drove it off the lot, to make sure things were tight, lined up, installed correctly,etc, but it appeared to me that was what we'd be up against if we purchased one of these units. So we passed....

So sorry to hear of your plight. The local dealer (Nohr's?) in Pleasanton seemed to be competent and responsive...but they didn't manufacture the trailer. Hopefully they do make things right for you.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
I understand that buying new is not always a sure bet but lord. A 2014 to boot. 3 months and all this took place would make me do things that might put me in jail. I would get that thing back to the dealer and let him take care of ALL the problems as I was hooking up to another and giving a wave while saying call me, not.
I did it with a new car so why not a RV.
Tell your story loud and clear, over and over. Put the brand and dealers name all over it everywhere you go. Something has to be done to fix this right now.
Very very sorry to hear this has happen. But your doing the right thing by telling others. I sure hope the dealer will take care of you but it sounds like they are not. You did buy it from the dealer not the company. As far as the company goes they should be sending someone out yesterday on this. Do not settle for anything less. Have you called your state General Atty? I would call everybody and then a few more to find out what can be done.
Someone could have be hurt BADLY!

I am telling anyone who will listen. Even before the accident, we took the logos off the trailer because people love the look and always ask about it. They have to approach us and have done so to ask about it. They get an earful. The dealer is supposed to go over it head to toe. I just want to feel safe when traveling with it. I agree there should be an awareness. This was definitely a safety issue and could have been very bad. I hope the manufacturer doesn't ever release another trailer without completely checking everything. I can tell you I would have never thought to check lugnuts on a new vehicle.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
I can tell you I would have never thought to check lugnuts on a new vehicle.
Actually, when we bought our new Escape trailer this year, the guys at the factory (when we picked it up) told us to be sure to check the lug nuts after a couple hundred kilometres, as they can loosen on their own. They also recommended that we continue to retorque the lug nuts on a regular (and fairly frequent) basis during our ongoing usage of the trailer.

I am really sorry that you have had the bad experiences that you have described. I hope that you will be able to work through your issues with a minimum of additional trouble.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Actually, when we bought our new Escape trailer this year, the guys at the factory (when we picked it up) told us to be sure to check the lug nuts after a couple hundred kilometres, as they can loosen on their own.
That advice applies to all aluminum wheels, including your vehicles.
So, if you've just put your snow tires on, best check.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #10

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
I picked up a 30-foot, custom-built Loadmaster boat trailer in Ohio this summer. The manufacturer did a very complete review of the trailer before I hitched up and took off. One of the things he stressed with me was the need to stop and check the lug nuts every hour. He even had a diagram of the lug nut pattern including the order in which to tighten them in the paperwork packet I was given.

I was a newbie, and it would have never occurred to me to do this on my own. It seems like this should be, or possible is, part of any trailer hand off from dealer to customer. If your dealer failed to do so, it seems like a significant oversight.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
How Long to Make Repairs

Quote:
Actually, when we bought our new Escape trailer this year, the guys at the factory (when we picked it up) told us to be sure to check the lug nuts after a couple hundred kilometres, as they can loosen on their own. They also recommended that we continue to retorque the lug nuts on a regular (and fairly frequent) basis during our ongoing usage of the trailer.

I am really sorry that you have had the bad experiences that you have described. I hope that you will be able to work through your issues with a minimum of additional trouble.
I got the same advice from Casita when I went through their factory orientation "Check the lug nuts at 100 miles and again at 1000 miles"

The problem I see with returning the trailer to the dealer and telling him/her to call you when everything is fixed is that you could be without the use of your trailer for a month or 3 months or 6 month ETC I have friends who brought their stick built trailers back to the dealer for warranty work and sat home waiting all summer without a trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
I lived in the east bay prior to moving to NY. Nohrs or whatever they go by now used to be in Castro Valley/San Leandro.

Bought our RV from JC'S out in Livermore. Had problems with it from the day we drove it away! Did I mention JC'S went belly up?

Your Trillium should have a warranty for the problems inside. Cracks in the shell is probably from sitting in the blazing heat near that racetrack! Cracks any where would be unacceptable for something that is brand new!

I'm glad no one was hurt or worse when the tire flew off! Hwy 17 can be tricky with all tires secured.

It would be so simple just to swap it for another...but there isn't another to swap with! I went to look at the bathroom/shower model which wasn't there. There were 3 other models period. Hmmmm
Didn't feel right to me.

I hope this all works out for you and you can enjoy the trailer.

Checking lug nuts should be done every couple of hundred miles...that's just one of your walk arounds.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

Just something I grew up doing, no matter if it was a new/used tow. And the smaller the wheel the more often you check them!!!!!!!!!!

First I wanna say Welcome Marianb! Glad you found us, Glad you joined us!

As for the "cracks" around the door, I have to agree with (retired/Jay) that it is unacceptable for this new of a trailer! (PERIOD)! I have a 6 year old trailer and don't have any cracks around the door. Soooooooooo, I would return for that reason alone!

As for the other issues, unfortunately those issues as well as the loose lug nuts are found with all types of brands, models, etc....... But should have been caught before it ever left the dealer lot......... "Should" being the operative word . (Can't believe the water issues wasn't caught during the dealership orientations).

As Steve mentioned he had a, factory orientation. Having purchased a rv from a dealer, I have had dealership orientations. (I bought my Casita in the used market from a private owner, but even the PO walked me through the Casitas workings. )

But rv dealers do walk thru's with each sale. So your dealership should have walked through all the working parts of your trailer! Just as car dealers walk you through a new car purchase. So I frankly put blame on the "dealership" as much as the manufacture..... Purchasing a new vehicle the issues that arise during purchase aren't taken care of by the manufacture but the dealership! Same goes with travel trailer/rv dealerships! Neither the manufacture nor the "dealership" were doing their jobs! Do things get by both the manufacture and dealership, yes......... Hence some of the unsatisfied buyers with all manufactures, stickie built as well as glass! But most things are fixable and are worked out over time. And those issues should be quick fixes for the dealership.

But the cracks, those are manufacture issues and I would stay on that and not let it go un-fixed!

As for the, water issue and the lug nut issue, those both can occur again over time, with use as well as just sitting. So check often! It is said that when towing down the road as well as driving a rv down the road at 55mph it is equivalent to a 6.5 earthquake. So water hoses/connections, lug nuts, etc need to be checked often! Good luck, I hope you find common ground with your trailer and actually get to enjoy creating great memories with it.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lose wheels is not just a new trailer issue. Live and learn.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eel-53227.html

I would like to point out that this is in no way related to the classic Trilliums.

TRILLIUMS ROCK!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #15

California
Thank you for the info. Valuable lessons learned cheaply!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
I'm brand new to this blog and not sure how this works. I am looking for some feedback on the Trilliums. .......

...... Does anyone have anything positive t0 say about these trailers? I would love to feel safe traveling in this, since we payed a fortune for it and are stuck with it. marianb
Hello Marian and welcome to the forum. I was hoping that this time around TrilliumRV was doing a better job. Apparently not. We have had lots of issues with our Trillium. Do a search and you'll find my posts. There is very little that TrilliumRV made that hasn't needed repair. The worst was multiple leaks at the belly band that required removal of the wall covering. Also, check the bolts holding the trailer body to the frame. On mine they were loose and required replacement.

We bought direct from TrilliumRV i.e. Tom Young. While the company is registered in Nevada, he was having the trailers made in California. When he (they?) failed to honor the warranty and being 3000 miles away, I fixed things myself. Since you bought from a dealer and are in the same state, I think (hope) you will do better.

This poor build quality is unfortunate because the trailer design really is well thought out. If built properly they should be very competitive. There isn't a design currently being made that I would rather have. Despite the problems we just passed 30k miles on our trailer. I hope you can resolve your issues and get to enjoy your trailer. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ess-45046.html

This is a thread started by P. Raz a few years back outlining some of the issues he had with the present day U.S. Trillium group.

I visited the Pleasanton RV dealer and saw these Trilliums. I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish, though I thought structurally they looked sound. You wouldn't think you'd have to have the dealer go over everything before you drove it off the lot, to make sure things were tight, lined up, installed correctly,etc, but it appeared to me that was what we'd be up against if we purchased one of these units. So we passed....

So sorry to hear of your plight. The local dealer (Nohr's?) in Pleasanton seemed to be competent and responsive...but they didn't manufacture the trailer. Hopefully they do make things right for you.
Thank you for the info. I read the article. Good lesson learned cheaply!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #18

California
Quote:

I didn't know any of this. Will be more diligent in the future.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Marian and welcome to the forum. I was hoping that this time around TrilliumRV was doing a better job. Apparently not. We have had lots of issues with our Trillium. Do a search and you'll find my posts. There is very little that TrilliumRV made that hasn't needed repair. The worst was multiple leaks at the belly band that required removal of the wall covering. Also, check the bolts holding the trailer body to the frame. On mine they were loose and required replacement.

We bought direct from TrilliumRV i.e. Tom Young. While the company is registered in Nevada, he was having the trailers made in California. When he (they?) failed to honor the warranty and being 3000 miles away, I fixed things myself. Since you bought from a dealer and are in the same state, I think (hope) you will do better.

This poor build quality is unfortunate because the trailer design really is well thought out. If built properly they should be very competitive. There isn't a design currently being made that I would rather have. Despite the problems we just passed 30k miles on our trailer. I hope you can resolve your issues and get to enjoy your trailer. Raz
Sorry you had so much trouble. The design seems so perfect. We don't own a truck. It's just 2 of us and a dog. Thanks for the tips. Glad to hear you are able to enjoy your trailer. We're having ours checked out head to toe.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Marian, sorry to hear your troubles. I have a ParkLiner and most of us are having some problems with the manuf, so I can relate to your pains. If the dealer/manuf is giving you the run around then I would suggest reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and your states Consumer Protection agency. Hopefully if you can light a big enouh fire under there butt, they might be more motivated to do something about making repairs. If I lived in the same state as ParkLiner is (North Carolina) Id park out front of their facility with a big sign cautioning people about the known issues (tire rub and the batteries not being safely vented outside)...Im betting that would get them moving lol.

best of luck!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium