New Water heater installed, but........................ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I had a new water heater installed today, easy breezy (not so much, what a pain) but, once we tested both gas and electrical heat up's Good to go. Our friend the plumber packed up his tools etc, was pulling out of the driveway when he said Robin don't forget to switch it off if your gonna leave the trailer plugged in. So I went to hit the switch to off and got zapped! He actually saw me jump so got out of the truck and came back into the barn. I told him I got shocked so he hit the switch and same thing happened to him.

My question is, any ideas what might be doing it? Cause the hot water heater comes all encased and all you do is plug in the wires that unplugged from the old unit. It's not like your rewiring it. Short of taking the whole dammmmmmmmmmm thing back out I thought I would see if anyone has any suggestion on where to look for a short. Plumber is thinking the switch but from what we can see you have to take it all out to replace the switch. Which requires breaking into the foam encased around the whole thing. (this ought to be fun!) So anyone every replaced your hot water heater have any ideas where to start?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I think the heating element must be bad. ( shorted )

Bill K

Quote:
I had a new water heater installed today, easy breezy (not so much, what a pain) but, once we tested both gas and electrical heat up's Good to go. Our friend the plumber packed up his tools etc, was pulling out of the driveway when he said Robin don't forget to switch it off if your gonna leave the trailer plugged in. So I went to hit the switch to off and got zapped! He actually saw me jump so got out of the truck and came back into the barn. I told him I got shocked so he hit the switch and same thing happened to him.

My question is, any ideas what might be doing it? Cause the hot water heater comes all encased and all you do is plug in the wires that unplugged from the old unit. It's not like your rewiring it. Short of taking the whole dammmmmmmmmmm thing back out I thought I would see if anyone has any suggestion on where to look for a short. Plumber is thinking the switch but from what we can see you have to take it all out to replace the switch. Which requires breaking into the foam encased around the whole thing. (this ought to be fun!) So anyone every replaced your hot water heater have any ideas where to start?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Sorry Bill I hadn't seen that someone responded to my question. Really on a brand new water heater? Seriously?
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Anything is possible, a human built it. LOL

Also check the wiring to make sure the hot wire is not shorting out to the metal of the tank.

Bill K

Quote:
Sorry Bill I hadn't seen that someone responded to my question. Really on a brand new water heater? Seriously?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks Bill, the wires have all been gone back thru. So, I suppose he will have to pull the whole darn thing back out and start from there. Thanks for your help.............