Newbie Help Please for 76 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
Nebraska
Newbie Help Please for 76 Scamp

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and new to the wonderful world of travel trailers! My boyfriend has owned a 13' 76 Scamp for awhile and sadly it has spent too many lonely years in the driveway. We are now making plans for an extended trip later this year and I am working on renovations! So, here's the issue...

It leaks. The front window and one on the door seem ok, but the sides and back are taking in water. The old aluminum frames don't look to be in the best shape and one of the plexiglass panes has a crack and pinhole in it.

We had a couple of friends take a look (both with construction knowledge and minimal aluminum trailer experience). They suggested replacing the windows and frames. I contacted Scamp Trailers and found out that the new windows are made smaller. I was told to either order new frames/windows and have someone do the fiberglass work to make them fit or to find other windows "somehow-somewhere".

Can anyone provide some advice? I was really hoping we could renovate the Scamp we have as opposed to purchasing another, plus time is ticking. I appreciate all ideas and suggestions!

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1340.jpg   IMG_1344.jpg  

IMG_1342.jpg   IMG_1341.jpg  

scamposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamposaurus View Post
Hi All,

It leaks. The front window and one on the door seem ok, but the sides and back are taking in water. The old aluminum frames don't look to be in the best shape and one of the plexiglass panes has a crack and pinhole in it.

We had a couple of friends take a look (both with construction knowledge and minimal aluminum trailer experience). They suggested replacing the windows and frames. I contacted Scamp Trailers and found out that the new windows are made smaller. I was told to either order new frames/windows and have someone do the fiberglass work to make them fit or to find other windows "somehow-somewhere".
Just remove them clean up the frames & fiberglass of all the sealants that have been put on them over the years and reinstall them using Butyl tape. Do a google of this site for resealing Scamp windows and you will find lots of good info as to how to do it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

Nebraska
Thanks for the input Carol. Our friends made it seem like the frames were in pretty rough shape. I'll search through this site to learn as much as I can before we tackle the project
Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Susan
Welcome. 1976 was a year where Scamp changed window styles. My 76 front window is like the newer rubber sealed front windows. My rear window was origionally like yours but I only have the metal frame now and my side windows are the Jalose windows.
If I were you I would rebuild and reseal what you have like Carol suggested. The only solution I have for my rear window is to cut out the old frame and make an oversize plexiglass rubber sealed rear window. I wish I had what you have to work with.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

Nebraska
Thank you Eddie.

Tags
repair, scamp, windows