Newbie Hitch Wiring Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 96 Scamp 13 ft
Thumbs up

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes here. I've already learned a lot by reading through the archives of old posts.

We just bought a '96 Scamp 13' and are excited about our summer camping plans.

My question(s):
The Scamp has a 7-way round "pin-type" (not blade-type) connector for the hitch wiring. My Xterra has both 4-way flat and 6-way round receptacles. Should I just buy an adapter? Will I loose any of the trailer lighting functions by adapting down to a 6-way or 4-way? Or would I be better off upgrading both trailer and truck wiring to the more common (modern?) 7-way round "blade-type" connectors?

Thanks in advance!
Scott Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
There is no doubt. Go with the 7-way blade Bargmen. I have used both 4-wire (Cadillac DeVille) and 6 wire (mistake on S-10 pickup - later fixed) to 7-wire adapters for the Cassita, but I would not reccommend that approach for the long term.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 96 Scamp 13 ft
Thanks, Charlie! That's kinda the way I was leaning anyway. I'd rather do it right than jury-rig a solution. I stopped by the local auto parts store and was able to find what I need (I think). The project can commence as soon as I get the kiddos down to bed tonight.
Scott Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Charlie, as a deVille owner, you're just the guy I need to talk to.

I have a '90 Coupe deVille and just screwed a modulite module into the trunk wall. Ran a wire direct to the battery, as instructed. But, I can't seem to get the modulite wires matched up correctly with the colored caddy tail lights wires. Could you tell me please which of these modulite wires listed below get spliced into which Caddy colored wires?

white is to ground.
yellow goes to....?
brown goes to....?
green goes to....?
red goes to....?

My '90 Deville tail light wires are brown, dark brown, green, light green, yellow, and black.

Thank you much!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Myron,
I've had good luck finding car wiring diagrams, including color codes, at my local public library. Another source might be the reference books which wrecking yards use, or even the closest Caddi dealer. U-Haul, since they install wiring connections in vehicles, might also share info.
Hope these ideas are helpful.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Cadet
Try this info:

#1 White - Ground.

#2 Blue - Electric brake.

#3 Green - Tail/Running lights.

#4 Black - Battery charge.

#5 Red - Left turn/stop.

#6 Brown - Right turn/Stop.

#7 Yellow - Auxiliary/back-up.

Babs

Quote:
Charlie, as a deVille owner, you're just the guy I need to talk to.

I have a '90 Coupe deVille and just screwed a modulite module into the trunk wall. Ran a wire direct to the battery, as instructed. But, I can't seem to get the modulite wires matched up correctly with the colored caddy tail lights wires. Could you tell me please which of these modulite wires listed below get spliced into which Caddy colored wires?

white is to ground.
yellow goes to....?
brown goes to....?
green goes to....?
red goes to....?

My '90 Deville tail light wires are brown, dark brown, green, light green, yellow, and black.

Thank you much!
justbabs is offline   Reply With Quote