newbie - leaking roof - 74 trillium - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #1

Name: dune
Trailer: '74 trillium 1300
Alberta
newbie - leaking roof - 74 trillium

so, yeah, i very recently joined the club, about to take her on the maiden voyage and the roof is leaking on the 74 trillium am about to call home. it appaears it's leaking thru the fiberglass and drips down the moldings between the whatever it's called on the inside.
i checked the roof vent thoroughly and it appears watertight.
discovered a few minor surface holes and cracks, but on the other side, so pretty sure it's not the source. duct taped them all [just to check] and then tried the hose again and still leaking.
the roof is pretty solid - does have some surface pocks from hail or road grit, and a few bare brown patches.
fiberglass leaks? what do i do? will not have time for any major repairs before i leave.
suggestions [besides do a search - lol].
help appreciated.

tnx

Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Welcome Dune. We just finished solving a leak problem. Tough nut to crack, especially when all you see is a puddle coming from behind the wall covering. Are you sure it is the roof. If so, leaking roof vent, awning guide, door drip, etc. I would rebed them with butyl tape. I used duct tape to isolate my leak. Ended up resealing several windows and the belly band. Do a search for my and other posts. I am sure others will have suggestions. Good luck,Raz

Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dune View Post
i checked the roof vent thoroughly and it appears watertight.
tnx
But is it really? Water is like mice... it only takes a tiny little area to cause lots of damage. I'd cover it and tape it up and run a hose over the top to make sure. Resealing a roof vent is an easy fix.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd cover it and tape it up and run a hose over the top to make sure.
did that. it was completely sealed. ran the hose...drip drip drip.

it's not a window, or belly band. it's the roof itself.
i suspect it's a few spots where the paint was thinner or worn to brown, looks like there was some spots [and i mean 10 places] where there was hail or rock damage that someone bondo'd previously, they don't appear deep.

someone suggested a new coat of good paint would help seal the tiny pores?

does that make any sense?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

Oregon
Chris & Maureen had a Bigfoot 5th Wheel with roof problems, check out this direct link for their solution: 1984 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Updates
Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chris & Maureen had a Bigfoot 5th Wheel with roof problems, check out this direct link for their solution: 1984 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Updates
many thanks.
i suspect that's the route i will be going shortly, but won't have that done before monday when we head out...i'm thinking of tarping the top if we get rained on...not sure what i will do if it's really wet on a travel day, but will play that by ear.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #7

Oregon
Time is running out, but if you're concerned about roof leaks and don't want to use duct tape for the holes (the glue turns to concrete!), you might want to get a roll of this stuff. You could probably find it locally, while NOT cheap neither is a bunch of roof leaks and the discomfort it causes while camping:

Amazon.com: Scotch(R) Weather Resistant Masking Tape 225 Silver, 18 mm x 55 m [PRICE is per ROLL]: Industrial & Scientific

"Scotch(R) Weather Resistant Masking Tape 225 has a silver coating on the crepe paper backing which reflects ultraviolet light to provide outdoor weather resistance for up to 30 days. This tape should be dry before unmasking."
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #8

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Sorry to hear about your leak - I too am experiencing the "thrill" of tracking those little suckers down! I found a couple when I was contorting myself under the storage bins everywhere, trying to nail down the leak. My big moment came when I saw sunlight shining thru where it shouldn't have been. Maybe you could try looking at night. Kind of the opposite of me. I was in the dark and saw the light (so to speak) If you try doing this at night with no lights on, and someone else to shine a flashlight from the top - perhaps the same effect. Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dune View Post
did that. it was completely sealed. ran the hose...drip drip drip.

it's not a window, or belly band. it's the roof itself.
i suspect it's a few spots where the paint was thinner or worn to brown, looks like there was some spots [and i mean 10 places] where there was hail or rock damage that someone bondo'd previously, they don't appear deep.

someone suggested a new coat of good paint would help seal the tiny pores?

does that make any sense?

Tags
trillium