Newbie needs help before ordering my Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
I suspect ill come in at about 1,500 lbs. it appears ill come close to the 2,000 Weight when loaded
closer to the 2,000 lbs. Check out this thread: Trailer Weights in the Real World

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #16

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
So funny Donna, I was looking at that link just 5 min ago. I wish he weighed a 13 ft delux though, with the shower. I am going to call Scamp now and put my pkg together and get from them what they say is the empty weight. Then figure in fluids, gas, propane, gear etc. thank you for your continued help

Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi "H",
Personally, I'm with Byron. Less is more. Less hassle, less weight, fewer things to go wrong. As to the comforts of a shower and toilet...the ones in a camper are almost always less comfortable than the ones provided at state and national campgrounds or RV parks, for that matter. The few times I go to an RV park I find the bath/toilet facilities are immaculate and range from simple to elegant and always clean. Get this, they are almost always EMPTY 'cause everyone parked in their bus-like RVs use their own bathrooms. I'm fine with a porta-pottie in the trailer. Your wife might go for a porta-pottie outside under a special tent Amazon.com: Matter of Time Instant Privacy Pop Up Shelter: Sports & Outdoors. Plus, it's really nice not to have to bother with the emptying and maintenance of a black water tank.

Do get brakes! Safety and peace of mind comes first.

It all boils down to personal preference, camping style and $$$$.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
Registry
This describes my recent 13' Scamp deluxe (without A/C):

I came across a free vehicle scale that allowed me to determine that my 2005 13’ Deluxe Scamp weighed in at 1880 pounds including a tongue weight estimate of 164 pounds. Included is 12 gallons of water and about 200 pounds of food, clothing, and tools. That makes a dry weight of 1580 pounds. (Lesson: Scamp’s literature tends towards underestimates.)
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Don't know if you've placed your order yet, but scamp will allow you to option a flip out window instead of the standard sliding glass. This would enable you to have your windows open in the rain. If it were my money, I'd switch up to those.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #20

Alabama
Ron...I had planned on it being between 1,500 and 1,600 dry weight so thank you for confirming this. Paul, I saw that on a video and was thinking, man, that would be good in the rain so thank you for confirming. I did get from them yesterday that there is some flexibility from their published prices. I am going to negotiate the deal this morning. Donna, on the new ones they did move the "slinky stinky" to the rear. They must have realized your displeasure
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #21

Alabama
Ron...forgot to ask. On your tongue weight...was this one ball, two, one ball with battery? I am going to go with one ball and the battery. I believe I am glint to upgrade to the 27 group battery as well...good idea?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Not to be a spoiler this late in the game, but have you been inside a 13' SCAMP w/Bathroom??? It is very, very tight inside. The lack of space is why we sold our 2004 SCAMP 13' w/bath. And there are just two of us, w/o pets etc.

Unless you enjoy constantly converting the dinette to a bed and back, there's no place to be when the bed is made up.

Our 13' BigFoot is the same floorplan with a front couch, and is much, much more use friendly.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
If I was ordering new I would as Donna suggests buy every extra cabinet option they have - including the cutlery drawers. A Fantastic Fan, the louver windows (so they can be opened in the rain), screen door & pre wired for solar (if you plan to camp without power). I would get all interior LED lights (if thats an option) and only a 2 burner stove - as I don't think in 6 years and several hundred days of camping I have every used the 3 burners all at once.

I am 50/50 on camping with power so a fridge that will run on propane is a must. When on power having an outside electrical plug is a handy item and I added one myself but managed to get by for a number of years without it.

I removed the TV antenna when I purchased the trailer as I wanted to fit the trailer into my garage but do have an outside cable jack for those rare (maybe once a year) occasions when I stay at an RV park with cable, so could easily live without it. I use a flat MOHU Leaf Antenna that stores flat in an overhead bin and weighs nothing. I use it if I am camping close to an urban area that has TV signal coverage & I have power. More often than not though I use the TV mostly to watch movies at night if I have power.

I really like having a built on awning. Its not very big on a 13' but its better than nothing in rainy weather. You can get a portable EZ up type shelter but if weight is your issue then keep in mind most of the portable shelters are heavy as well & you need to carry them with you and the total weight of what you carry in the car also counts against your total weight capacity. I can put out the trailers awning on my own - something I find almost impossible to do with my portable shelter.

As far as propane tanks go - one is enough. I have gone for a number of weeks of camping without power & without needing a refill. Thats with running the fridge on propane, as well as using the hot water tank for showers and running the furnace occasionally. I have a small solar panel to keep the battery topped off.

As far as the need for holding tanks goes there are a number of places that I have camped that will not let you use portable type holding tanks (often National parks if they have issues with animals in the campgrounds) as well as some full service RV parks who want everything to be fully contained. As far as the black tank dumping vs the porta potty debate goes - I have over the years used both systems and personally find the porta potty to be more of a hassle than a built in black tank. I find dumping the tank to be pretty simple. Cleaning it even easier - just dump a bag of ice into it after you have dumped the tank. At the Bandon meet a very funny story was told about what can go wrong when dumping a portable tank such as a porta potty into a toilet not something I have ever experienced using a built in black water tank thankfully. I also like the fact I can pack up and go out of a camping spot at any time and not need to worry about finding a place to dump the porta potty first or worry about anything sloshing around if I don't. As far as maintenance goes I guess I have been fortunate but on my 21 year old Scamp & in the 6 years I have had it I have only had one issue with the built in toilet and it happened last week - clogged valve filter, so no water going to the tank - $2 part and 10 min to fix.

Its a personal thing and only you know what you cant live without and a lot of what you need or dont need will depend on your style of camping. I personally like having a trailer that's equipped to camp anywhere I choose. I often travel without reservations so I can stop at any place that looks nice or I meet up with friends along the way on trips who want to camp at such and such a place - I dont want to be the one that says sorry cant do that as the trailer isnt set up to camp there.

Edit: Yup get the brakes! You will not be sorry you did!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #24

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
If you care to read a bit more potty talk here, you may do so. If not, skip this entry.

When the porta-potti is used only for number one and the TP is put in the covered wastebasket it is easy-peasy to dump into a toilet. We've never had a leak in the porta-pottie while towing. We have no aversion to camp toilets or outhouses, for that matter.

It's all a matter of personal preferences.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #25

Alabama
Thank each of you for responding with your individual experiences. Like it has been said, everyone's needs are different and something that is a pain to one is not a chore to another. A necessity for one is not to another. We are two people who do most everything together...putting the bed into the table each am and back to a bed at night is a non issue. It takes longer to make my wife's pillow rama king bed every morning and getting it ready for sleep at night. I like going to the wash houses for all my needs...momma not so much. I have no desire to carry portable black water tanks. We will not be going back country so, we will just deposit it at the campgrounds we will be staying at. I've learned a bunch on this site and others...mostly, one mans poison is another's passion.
With that said, we ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp deluxe this am with almost every option available except the furnace. We live on the gulf coast thus no need. I grew up in Syracuse, NY and have no desire to see snow again other than movies..ha! We are excited to get it this fall and I am sure ill need help down the road with issues that will be new to me but old hat to you guys. It's great to have a place to go for help and.....Happy Camping!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #26

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
I hope that you decided to not have carpet and went with linoleum, you can get a cheap rug or runner. Then take out and wash or replace when dirty. I went with linoleum and so glad I did.. spills wipe up. If I had been on this site before I got mine I would have got only 1 propane tank and asked for a solar hookup. If there is a cabinet above the fridge it may have a outlet in the top. I took the door of and place a microwave oven in it. The outside outlet would be nice to have on its own braker. Mine is the 16ft deluxe. with Wangler as TV. I've used the propane heater probably 4 or 5 times is all. I'm a full-timer in mine, Huntsville area.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Just a little tip. Most people have their fridge open at one time or another. To reduce the probability of this we have an O-ring that we use to keep our fridge closed when traveling.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #28

Alabama
Darrell...we think alike. We figured linoleum was more practical than the carpet. Got the one ball with the battery which charges while driving. Getting a cheap microwave and will most likely mount it someplace once I get it. Also got the outside gfi plus two porch lights. How does the Wrangler do pulling it? I have the 2 door sport. 2013 with the tow pkg. I ordered the electric brakes so I need to go to uhaul or camping world to adapt the 4 pin to seven and get the control box, or whatever it's called, installed...how much did that cost you? Do I need anything else relative to towing?
Norm...I heard a story of a guy having his wife's pasta dish ending up all over the floor when the door came open...I believe he had the carpet. Good idea on the o- ring. Not seeing the fridge...was there a place/hole to slip it through?

Tags
scamp