Newbie needs help before ordering my Scamp - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #61

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
I can see there not being much difference for the 13' but there is quite a bit of wood in the 16'. It adds up just like every other option. If you don't think so, ask yourself why we are hauling FG rvs instead of ones made of wood and metal?
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #62

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Why FGRV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I can see there not being much difference for the 13' but there is quite a bit of wood in the 16'. It adds up just like every other option. If you don't think so, ask yourself why we are hauling FG rvs instead of ones made of wood and metal?

That's easy, and it's not all about weight alone. Many, if not most, of us prefer FGRV's over sticky construction because they last and last and last.

Although numbers posted earlier suggest that there weren't all that many SCAMPS made, I'll almost bet that 90% of those ever built, minus any involved in accidents, fires etc, are still on the road. Can anyone make that claim for any brand of sticky..... Most of those from before 1980, and many, many built after 1980, have all fallen apart from water leaks etc.

And like my earlier comment about Rino Liner; Unlike love, fiberglass is forever.....

BTW: Airstreams are not sticky's

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #63

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Well Bob, going with your theme of fiberglass forever, wouldn't you want to apply that to the interior as well? You can take care of wood and make it last...but you can do basically nothing to fiberglass and it will last longer. If this is the last camper you ever plan to buy, the more fiberglass used in its construction the better.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #64

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Better yet, if a molded fiberglass camper is the first camper you ever buy, you won't have to learn about sticky's the hard way.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #65

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are good points and bad points for either kind of interior.

Fiberglass is easy to clean, much brighter (which may make the interior to APPEAR bigger). It's also harder to modify or repair (are you up to fixing damage? Like cracks, pits, etc [and they CAN/DO happen)

Wood interiors can still be cleaned... anyone other than me use Murphy's oil soap on the wood? Is easier to modify... wood is wood... cuts with saws, put together with screws, etc. But, it will be darker and wood darkens with age. Just ask me about a 26 year old Scamp Deluxe...

Either can be painted, just require different kinds of paint and care after paint.

Whichever way you go... it will be the ONE for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #66

Name: dave
Trailer: scamp
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Thanks Steve...got them too. Did the awning come with the poles and ropes? Anything else I may need to get or do before I get it other than changing the pin to a 7 and getting the controller box for my jeep?

Norm...that would be great. Any other helpful hints are always appreciated. I haven't done this since our family had a 16 ft FAN travel trailer in the 50's and. 60's. great memories.
You might want to check if your jeep is already wired for a 7pin connector. Seems like most vehicles that are purchased with a tow package are already set up for it. My Tacoma had a wiring harness already in place and the Tekonsha controller I ordered plugged directly into it making it very simple to install. It would surprise me if Jeep sells a towing package that wasn't intended to include brakes.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #67

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post

You might want to check if your jeep is already wired for a 7pin connector. Seems like most vehicles that are purchased with a tow package are already set up for it. My Tacoma had a wiring harness already in place and the Tekonsha controller I ordered plugged directly into it making it very simple to install. It would surprise me if Jeep sells a towing package that wasn't intended to include brakes.
Unfortunately the tow package on the wrangler is 4 pin only.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #68

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennco View Post
Unfortunately the tow package on the wrangler is 4 pin only.
If you have someplace wire in a 7 pin (it's pretty inexpensive) make sure they provide thick hot wire and ground wire.

The hot wire is used to charge the rv battery or run fridge on 12 volt while traveling.

You want at least 10 gauge, and 8 would be better for the hot wire and frame ground. The voltage drop caused by thin wire typically used for trailer lights, or break-away brake battery charging does not work for the primary use of the hot line with a camper.

You might even need to bring your own spool of wire for the hot, and a short piece for the ground if the shop does not have the heavy wire.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #69

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Well, as a follow up post...we FINALLY ordered one with the options we wanted and we changed several things. Once we received the video and after much discussion, we ordered the 13 ft standard with most every option available except the furnace....didn't need it but did order the heat strip. We got every light, cabinet, outlet, etc. we could. Donna...you are right on the tube...still working on that one. If it wasn't for these forums and all the generous help and advice you have shared, the process would have been much harder. Completion date is sometime in Oct. thank you all!!!
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp