Newbie needs help before ordering my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Smile Newbie needs help before ordering my Scamp

I am considering ordering a new 13 ft Scamp deluxe with the shower/commode. This will only be used by my wife, me and little Tee our rescue mut. As I look at adding options we want, it gets expensive so I don't want to order things I don't need, nor omit useful options through my inexperience. I know we will order the air but, living in Gulf Shores, Al...I'm not sure I want the furnace...especially because I can always use a small electric space heater. The awning seems to be an $800 must. More cabinetry and lighting seems like a good idea too. The microwave oven is $220... I can buy a small lightweight one for under $100 and put it in a cabinet so..??? should I upgrade to linoleum? Is the TV antenna worth it? Should I upgrade to a larger fridge, larger battery...I'm really a newbie on the function of electric brakes...order them or have installed later? I chose the 13 ft vs the 16 because I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with a GTW of 2,000 lbs. I felt the 16 would be too heavy and of course more money, plus, like I said...these buggers are not cheap, any advice would be appreciated. We wiant to take a 6 week trip to Florida this winter but mostly will use it on weekends, football games, etc. Heck, we just realized we should get an outside ground mat...lol. Please share your thoughts and advice from experience...thank you...H
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
all the cabinets you can get. And you can buy your own microwave, just make sure it's wired for it.

You may prefer a screenroom, etc. rather than the awning. A 13' Scamp awning doesn't give you a lot of space and having a screenroom, etc over the picnic table may be preferable.

Tell them to NOT bolt the stinky slink tube to the front of the trailer... it's FUGLY and there are better ways of transporting the sewer hose... plus that's FOUR fewer holes.

AND, don't let them rivet the curtain rods... there again that's alot of holes you don't need. There are better ways!

GET BRAKES.

I'll let others answer....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

Alabama
I've posted on two sites Donna and you were the first to respond. Good advice. I think the sewer hose is in the back so that's good. Ill see about the curtains. I was thinking the brakes would be smart. Where would I look for a screen room? The 8 ft awning was $800 I think and the 10 ft $900. Seemed high.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #4

Name: John & Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 std. Big bed
Texas
One of our first outings with our new 13 std, proved the worth of the vinyl floor upgrade. The wife had pre made a nice tomato based pasta dish, which I stowed in the refrig. for trasport. I was positive that I had latched the refrig. door..........glad it was not carpet I had to clean up!
johnkinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
I think the sewer hose is in the back so that's good.
No, Scamp mounts the stinky slinky tube in the front just below the belly band... note the cursor and arrow.

You can get a screenroom at sporting good stores and even Walmart. There are good ones and bad ones. Maybe try a search here on the forum until someone answers up. You do NOT want an E-Z up.... it's NOT!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp13er.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I am considering ordering a new 13 ft Scamp deluxe with the shower/commode. This will only be used by my wife, me and little Tee our rescue mut. As I look at adding options we want, it gets expensive so I don't want to order things I don't need, nor omit useful options through my inexperience. I know we will order the air but, living in Gulf Shores, Al...I'm not sure I want the furnace...especially because I can always use a small electric space heater. The awning seems to be an $800 must. More cabinetry and lighting seems like a good idea too. The microwave oven is $220... I can buy a small lightweight one for under $100 and put it in a cabinet so..??? should I upgrade to linoleum? Is the TV antenna worth it? Should I upgrade to a larger fridge, larger battery...I'm really a newbie on the function of electric brakes...order them or have installed later? I chose the 13 ft vs the 16 because I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with a GTW of 2,000 lbs. I felt the 16 would be too heavy and of course more money, plus, like I said...these buggers are not cheap, any advice would be appreciated. We wiant to take a 6 week trip to Florida this winter but mostly will use it on weekends, football games, etc. Heck, we just realized we should get an outside ground mat...lol. Please share your thoughts and advice from experience...thank you...H

The 13' Scamp with bathroom will probably exceed your 2000 lb limit Therefore you want to reduce the weight as much as possible if you really have to have the toilet/shower. Your going to be squirrely enough with the Wrangle's short wheel base without adding a bunch more weight to tongue, which a toilet/shower will do.

I'll give you a bit of my experiences. First I rarely stay where there's any hookups, no electric devices other than the 12 volt lights and the furnace fan. No water pump, no shower, no toilet, no television, no microwave, no air conditioner, etc., etc. Those things all add weight and we wouldn't use them. Anything that requires 120 Volts is left off. With 12 gallons of water and some propane, (single tank) my trailer weighs about 1870lbs with 180 of that tongue weight.
Options... BRAKES.
Without the toilet I get a front overhead cabinet and rear overhead cabinet. Along with a couch/bunk bed. (Grand kids love the bunk bed)
no awning, can't use it in the wind anyway and we've been in some really strong winds.
Furnace.. Even in the south it gets cold at times, 5° on one trip in TX.
We're out for minimum 3 months every winter. Then 7 to 14 day trips during the summer, close to 120 days per year.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Our Casita has a furnace that hasn't worked in years. I'm sure there's not much wrong with it (probably a bug nest somewhere) but we've never taken the time/trouble to get it fixed. It was great when it worked, but we don't camp in cold weather unless we have hookup, so we do as you suggest: bring a small, electric heater (with ceramic element).

As Donna said, do get the brakes. (You need them with a wrangler, and they're hard to add later.)

We did not get the TV antenna, so I can't advise you on that. We did get the cable connection, which we've used a few times.

Think hard about upgrading the fridge: how much space does it take up; will you be able to mostly travel with it full? (They cool better when they have stuff in them, AND when you're under way, the more stuff the better - things don't bounce around as much.) Some people like to carry a spare chest for iced down drinks... YMMV - ours does. (Sometimes we like for everything to be inside, but if we're camping with a crowd, having the drinks nearer the picnic table is handier.)

Good luck with it!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkinzler View Post
One of our first outings with our new 13 std, proved the worth of the vinyl floor upgrade. The wife had pre made a nice tomato based pasta dish, which I stowed in the refrig. for trasport. I was positive that I had latched the refrig. door..........glad it was not carpet I had to clean up!

As yes the fridge door opening problems, sometimes even braking the latch. To keep things in place one of these and one of these will take care of things. They're adjustable in length and there's two sizes.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #9

Name: John & Pam
Trailer: Scamp 13 std. Big bed
Texas
Outside outlets. Outside lights, one at door, one at front. Get air and fantastic fan if you are in the south. Forget the furnace....you can heat a 13 foot with the wife's hair dryer or a couple candles for us southern folks. We have got by just fine with a pota potti for over 4,000 miles. Brakes, even though I pull with an F150. Coleman quick set up screen room, 90-100 bucks. Buy some reflectix at Home Depot, cut to fit widows for them hot sunny days. Cable tv fittings, skip the permanent antenna, use a portable one.
johnkinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #10

Registry
One more thing, our average cost per night is under $7.50.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #11

Alabama
Really great information here. The 2013 13 ft Scamp deluxe with shower/commode/ tanks, is rated to weigh between 1,300-1,600 lbs. the latter would be with every option. I didn't think I needed a furnace here in the south and ill take a small ceramic heater if I need heat. I suspect ill come in at about 1,500 lbs. it appears ill come close to the 2,000 Weight when loaded but should be ok if I don't overload it. I WILL get the electric brakes...stay with the standard fridge, get the extra cabinets, check out screen rooms, make sure the fridge is latched ( John) and go with the vinyl. I didn't think a carpet was a great idea anyway just for sand and dirt. The cable hook up was cheap...like $40 but the roof tv antenna intrigued me. We are going to go to football games sometimes and I usually use my 20 inch LCD with a $15 antenna...works pretty good and I actually have it set up in my bathroom at the house. I was thinking I would get a bunch more stations if the campground didn't have cable. Momma is a bit of a priss so no rural camping for us. A happy wife...happy life. You guys have been very helpful and feel free to continue my education if you think of something else....like the best outdoor mat to buy. I was going to go local until I got my feet wet...like within 3 hours away. I do have a Camping-world 35 min from the house but they are kinda high on their prices for normal stuff.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #12

Registry
Beauties of trailing.

One of the real beauties of trailer camping is easy to set up, and for me not needing the infra structure (electricity, water, etc.).. The infra structure is very fragile and at some point you'll have to do without electricity in both your house and your trailer. Therefore I set mine up to be self sufficient without electricity. When the electricity goes out at my house I can easily move into my trailer for at least a month. Don't say it won't happen to you, because it will. It's not if, but when.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #13

Alabama
Donna....is the EZ up the factory awning? I'm going to take your advice on that one. On the SS tube...I saw a video on u-tube of the 2013 and it appeared there was a porch light where you have the arrow just above the propane ball. Ill have to check on that.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #14

Alabama
Byron...I live in the eye of the hurricane here on the gulf coast so I know all about not having electricity...lol. Generators are the norm down here so we are not out long. Also, I am going to get the battery combined with a single ball.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #15

Quote:
I suspect ill come in at about 1,500 lbs. it appears ill come close to the 2,000 Weight when loaded
closer to the 2,000 lbs. Check out this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

Alabama
So funny Donna, I was looking at that link just 5 min ago. I wish he weighed a 13 ft delux though, with the shower. I am going to call Scamp now and put my pkg together and get from them what they say is the empty weight. Then figure in fluids, gas, propane, gear etc. thank you for your continued help
Old 07-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi "H",
Personally, I'm with Byron. Less is more. Less hassle, less weight, fewer things to go wrong. As to the comforts of a shower and toilet...the ones in a camper are almost always less comfortable than the ones provided at state and national campgrounds or RV parks, for that matter. The few times I go to an RV park I find the bath/toilet facilities are immaculate and range from simple to elegant and always clean. Get this, they are almost always EMPTY 'cause everyone parked in their bus-like RVs use their own bathrooms. I'm fine with a porta-pottie in the trailer. Your wife might go for a porta-pottie outside under a special tent Amazon.com: Matter of Time Instant Privacy Pop Up Shelter: Sports & Outdoors. Plus, it's really nice not to have to bother with the emptying and maintenance of a black water tank.

Do get brakes! Safety and peace of mind comes first.

It all boils down to personal preference, camping style and $$$$.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
This describes my recent 13' Scamp deluxe (without A/C):

I came across a free vehicle scale that allowed me to determine that my 2005 13’ Deluxe Scamp weighed in at 1880 pounds including a tongue weight estimate of 164 pounds. Included is 12 gallons of water and about 200 pounds of food, clothing, and tools. That makes a dry weight of 1580 pounds. (Lesson: Scamp’s literature tends towards underestimates.)
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Don't know if you've placed your order yet, but scamp will allow you to option a flip out window instead of the standard sliding glass. This would enable you to have your windows open in the rain. If it were my money, I'd switch up to those.
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #20

Alabama
Ron...I had planned on it being between 1,500 and 1,600 dry weight so thank you for confirming this. Paul, I saw that on a video and was thinking, man, that would be good in the rain so thank you for confirming. I did get from them yesterday that there is some flexibility from their published prices. I am going to negotiate the deal this morning. Donna, on the new ones they did move the "slinky stinky" to the rear. They must have realized your displeasure

Tags
scamp