Newbie Question - first camp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 AM   #1

Name: Nikki
Trailer: in the market
Ontario
Newbie Question - first camp

So I'm doing a shakedown camp this weekend - just a few miles from home to get sorted out; work out what is still needed etc etc.

I have a question - I have 3 axel stands for stabilising my Boler once parked. Where is the best place to position them? Should there actually be four?

Also, how do you actually put them in place. Leave the tow bar wheel in place and position underneath then lower on to them or what?

I've usually had camper vans in the past which has involved using levelling blocks and driving on and off them so this is somewhat different!!

All advice, and pictures welcomed. Thanks :-)
Butterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Your stabilizer jacks are just to keep it from bouncing as you walk around in it and keep it 'stable'. They are not meant to level it. If you park on a campsite that is very 'un-level' you may need to pull the trailer up onto leveling blocks just like you did your van. Then, you place the stabilizer jacks in position and tighten them up to reduced the 'bounce' factor.
I am not familiar with the boler so hopefully someone can chime in on the proper place to locate them. I keep my tongue jack wheel in place when I park, and chock the tires so there is no movement. I like to put one jack directly under my entry door in addition to the two that I put at the back corners.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:26 AM   #3

Ontario
Thanks Pam
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The general procedure is: (1) level side-to-side by pulling the low wheel onto leveling blocks if needed, (2) block the wheels with chocks to keep it from rolling, (3) unhitch and pull the tow vehicle forward, (4) level front-to-back using the tongue jack, then drop a couple of turns below level in the front, (5) place stabilizers at the back and tighten, (6) raise the tongue jack back to level, (7) put the third stabilizer on the tongue near the coupler and tighten, and (8) back off slightly on the tongue jack to transfer weight to the stabilizer.

Sounds complicated, but it will become natural quickly. Notice that the tongue jack is doing all the lifting, not the stabilizers, and that most of the weight remains on the axle and wheels. Stabilizers should always be placed on the main frame members of the trailer. I think on a Boler the curved bumper is part of the main frame, so you could put them there, or a little forward under the cabin. In soft dirt or sand it may be necessary to put blocks under the stabilizers to keep them from sinking in.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #5

Ontario
THANK YOU!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
You might copy the instructions given by Jon in AZ and make that the start of your arrival check list...keep it handy and develop a complete arrival and departure checklist and use it on every trip...even if it seems like second nature you still will forget things .... Even veterans drive off with electric or water still connected from time to time....take your time when you set up and depart a campsite and always use a check list.

Happy Camping
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote