Newfoundland - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Newfoundland

My wife and I are planning our second trip to Canada's East Coast. Last time was 2015. This time we want to target Newfoundland. It was not on our agenda, but a Mennonite Disaster Relief project came up in Westport NL. I was interested in helping with this house build, (as a Plbg & Htg contractor) , for part of a week, and this is a way to get us to take in Newfoundland. I think we will still take in the Cabot Trail but most of the other mainland sites will have to be forfeited in order to devote sufficient time to NL. Bob and Mary and others of you have a lot of experience with doing justice to NL. Considering our destination, what have you got to offer in terms of suggestions?
Jim & Molly from Manitoba

Manitoba Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Norm and Ginny Millard (honda03842) have been to Newfoundland many times and led a FGRV caravan there in 2016. Norm produced an excellent and detailed guide covering all matters about traveling and camping in Newfoundland for all of us on the caravan. He is eager to encourage others to enjoy Newfoundland and I'm sure will be happy to share the guide with you. Norm and Ginny sold their Scamp a year or so ago and I've not seen him on this forum since then but you might be able to PM him. PM me if you have trouble reaching him.

Good luck on your trip. I'm sure it will be wonderful and a gratifying contribution to the project.

WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
That Newfoundland guide would be a great addition to the document center. Its kind of like Alaska, it has that special attraction to many travelers.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
We made one trip to NL on our own and I was hoping to join Norm on that 2016 caravan, but it did not work out. Our home was VT then and we took the North Sydney to Port aux Basques ferry out (6 hours overnight) and then the short ferry St. Barbe to Blanc-Sablon back to Canada. I say that because the island is quite different from the mainland in many ways.

Newfoundland is beautiful, its landscape and geology are very interesting, its history is fascinating and the people are charming. Same goes for Labrador.

The long trek across Labrador and Quebec back to VT was well worth the detour. The Trans-Labrador highway was only finished in 2010, but it should be all paved by now. Big part of it was gravel in 2014. It roughly follows the new power lines that were being built when we were there.

Here is a link that gives you an idea:https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/TripRe.../?p=main_3&n=6
When I was planning our trip I read that whole report. It was extremely helpful. The photographs are exquisite.
Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:14 AM   #5

Manitoba
Newfoundland

Thanks so much for your replies. How do I PM Norm and Ginny. I recall reading many of thier posts in the past. I'm not very good with all this forum technology. I started school in the era of dip pens... next thing to a quill and just before the fountain pen. ;-)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
Thanks so much for your replies. How do I PM Norm and Ginny. I recall reading many of thier posts in the past. I'm not very good with all this forum technology. I started school in the era of dip pens... next thing to a quill and just before the fountain pen. ;-)

Jim,
I just sent you a personal message.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland

Hi Jim (and David)

I PMed you with my email address.

For the first time in a while we did not go to Newfoundland this year. Our grandson was married in Seattle April 6th so we left FL in February and made the trek to Seattle.

Weddings can become an epidemic and did for us. We have 3 weddings between now and October in the west so we decided to turn it into an 8 month loop of the USA. One of the weddings includes a extended stay at a campground...campground weddings are great it will be our second.

We've been to NL 10 times so far and hope to repeat next year.

WE still have our 1991 Scamp 16, but this past October on a whim we purchased a 1993 Born Free 21. The bed is no wider but the bathroom is huge.

Jim I sent you my email address. Do not hesitate to drop me a line, or actually to share my email address with people who need it.

As to the Scamp, Ginny told me that if I sold it she would cry. So now we're a two RV family.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Hi Jim (and David)

I PMed you with my email address.

For the first time in a while we did not go to Newfoundland this year. Our grandson was married in Seattle April 6th so we left FL in February and made the trek to Seattle.

Weddings can become an epidemic and did for us. We have 3 weddings between now and October in the west so we decided to turn it into an 8 month loop of the USA. One of the weddings includes a extended stay at a campground...campground weddings are great it will be our second.

We've been to NL 10 times so far and hope to repeat next year.

WE still have our 1991 Scamp 16, but this past October on a whim we purchased a 1993 Born Free 21. The bed is no wider but the bathroom is huge.

Jim I sent you my email address. Do not hesitate to drop me a line, or actually to share my email address with people who need it.

As to the Scamp, Ginny told me that if I sold it she would cry. So now we're a two RV family.
Hi: honda03842... Ha... We have a wedding in San Diego in July... but we're going to NFLD instead. Plan to be there from July 7th to the end. Any info would help. My wife told me that if I get a dog... she'd leave!!! Hmm.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

Florida
We have the no pet rule. No pets, more petting. Hold you wife's hand not a leash.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

Florida
What are your interests when you travel?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

Florida
We usually stay until early July avoiding the high tourist season. Their equivalent of the fourth of July is July 1st. We usually spend that evening in Codroy a little town on the water that puts on a good fireworks display ND provides free burgers. We stay at Grand Codroy RV a former provincial park not far from the ferry. You want to begin by ordering travel info from the NL tourist Breaux.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #12

Florida
Newfoundland

This is the start to every trip to NL. If you go through their website, really the best I've seen, you'll go.

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...avellers-guide

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This is the start to every trip to NL. If you go through their website, really the best I've seen, you'll go.

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com...avellers-guide
Hi Norm. Have they oversaturated the colors of the photos in that guide, or does the scenery really look that way to you?
Old 04-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #14

Manitoba
Newfoundland

Norm
It looks like we will focus on the west side of Newfoundland. We will ferry in from Sydney and return via Labrador taking the trans Labradors highway. I have contacted Their Tourism office for information.
Jim R.