No 12V to Dometic 24 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Question No 12V to Dometic 24

I searched back seven(7) pages and some other pages but I can't find it.
Dometic 24 works great on 110V and Propane. Trl is wired with a flat 4-pin connector. The Tacoma is pre-wired. I have the manuals in print. Does the 12V operation require a direct, fused feed from the battery or should it pick up power from one of the flat four pins? There is no power to the 10amp in line fuse at the fridge controls but everything else lights up. Thanks.
Scouter Dave.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Direct fused feed from the battery.

After I wired it I realized why the PO hadn't. 12v draws too much amperage and doesn't cool as well as 120 or propane.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
This is important:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3871597885.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	48139

Discharging your battery on 12v is a real hazard.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Generally a 7 pin connector is used with a large (10 gauge or thicker) wire used to run power from the TV battery to the trailer battery and from there to the refrigerator. As Brooke has mentioned, the fridge draws a lot of current - you may find the trailer battery actually discharging even with the TV running.

If you want to run the fridge while driving, I think I'd wire the fridge directly to the TV via a relay and keep the trailer battery out of the circuit.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Newfoundland & Labrador
Thumbs up Upon further investigation

All trailer lights are working properly.

I have unwrapped all the outer wiring from the hitch to the trailer.
There are heavy gauge blue and white wires in a seperate tube. These are for trailer brakes as far as I know.
There was a large heavy gauge black wire that runs to the terminal block at the fridge controls. It was not hooked up.
There is also a small gauge yellow wire that is not connected. (?)
By running power to the open black wire and using regular ground, I can get power to the terminal block and to the 10-amp fuse.
So, if I change from a flat 4 to a 5, 6, or 7 pin hook up I can wire the fridge in for use on the road. Which is what I want.
We ran 12 volts while on the road with our other Trilliums and never ran the battery down. Secret is to disconnect if you are stopping for more than thirty(30) minutes and to switch to 110V or propane as soon as you get to your stopover. I always do a walk around [a la big truck] before starting out again anyway.
I'm off to Canadian Tire now. I will let you know how things work out after my shakedown run this weekend. Three parks around the Musgrave Hbr loop do not open until Friday. The lilacs are just now in bloom and we actually have warm weather. We haven't had a frost warning since last week.
Thanks for the help.
Scouter Dave
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #6

Newfoundland & Labrador
Thumbs up Trial run

I didn't get to go camping but I did get to go to camp. I had a 1 1/2 hour run to a camp to teach knots to 35 Brownies and their leaders. The fridge was cold when I arrived [thermostat on 4] and when I got home. So, I have 110V, propane and 12V. Lights are all functional and, although "Never Again" may not be pretty, she is ready to go. Perhaps after next week's jamboree......
Thanks again.
Scouter Dave.