No battery power in '78 Scamp???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Lightbulb No battery power in '78 Scamp????

I am looking at a '78 Scamp 13'. The current owner says there is no battery and no lights in the trailer at all. Was 12volt lighting not standard in the '78 scamps?? There is however an outlet for 120 volt for power when hooked up.

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to navigate my way through our first egg purchase.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
From the picture I saw you posted, the outlet is mounted where the 115 VAC light usually is mounted over the counter. All the Scamps I have seen have been wired for 12VDC light on the ends of the cabinets over the sink.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
My 77 scamp has no battery or provision for one but the stock 7pin trailer plug allowed running the 12 volt lights at the end of the cabinets that Eddie mentions off of the tow (typically wired to an accessory circut). Or the fridge could run off of 12 volt going down the road (bad idea to run fridge when not level but you could)

I too noticed the outlet where most I have seen would have an AC light.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
My 77 scamp has no battery or provision for one but the stock 7pin trailer plug allowed running the 12 volt lights at the end of the cabinets that Eddie mentions off of the tow (typically wired to an accessory circut). Or the fridge could run off of 12 volt going down the road (bad idea to run fridge when not level but you could)

I too noticed the outlet where most I have seen would have an AC light.
So do you have an outlet on yours like the one in the picture?

The owner says this one has a 4 pin/prong(don't the know proper term) connector.

Thankfully my Dad is an electrician and will be the one checking out the trailer and taking it home if we decide to buy. Hopefully he can figure out what this scamp does or does not have. So it is possible that this trailer never had a battery...hmmm.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
No outlet there, just under the sink inside the cupboard. I have a small flouresent light, like they sell in the scamp store.

Prev. owner of mine cut off the original Bargman 7 pin and spliced on the more common 4 pin flat utility trailer plug BUT the other wires are still there, just not hooked up.

Bargman 7 pin is a common plug at trailer stores or farm and fleet stores, Scamp sells them too. So you can restore 12 volt if original has been hacked off easily if wires still there, more work if it was re-wired and the original wire is gone but still not TOO bad.

If you have other trailers with the 4 pin there are adapters from 7 pin to 4 pin.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp