No gas Flow in my BURRO - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
No gas Flow in my BURRO

OK, a big THANK YOU to all of the awesome colleagues out there who submitted advice to help me with my propane issue. I have an older Burro that I am restoring and I could not figure out why the gas wasn't flowing into the cooktop. I repalced the tank, the two stage regulator, and the hose leading to the 3/8 inch copper pipe. Still nothing. Then I removed a section of the rigid copper pipe at the joint and used wire to inspect the inside. Sure enough, some insect had built a mud nest inside the pipe! I had to ream it out several times and tap it on the cement driveway but I removed a big plug as long as a peanut from the pipe. I reconnected everything with a little tape around the threads and attached the flared fittings and BINGO! Gas! The stove lites beautifully now! I would have never thought that an insect could get inside an almost closed system but somehow they migrate down the burner outlets into the pipe and they find a very comfortable, dark dry home to live and nest in!
I wish I had down this first, it would have saved me almost $100 in needless part replacements but at least now my entire propane system is new. THANKS TO EVERYONE. If you have this same issue, you can't get you propane to flow..........inspect the flexible rubber hoses and the rigid copper pipe. It could be that you have the same issue I had.

Thanks Again Everyone!
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Glad you got your problem solved but just a word of caution ,teflon tape is not recommended to be used with flare fittings .They are designed to seal by metal to metal contact .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Glad you got your problem solved but just a word of caution ,teflon tape is not recommended to be used with flare fittings .They are designed to seal by metal to metal contact .
This is true for the white teflon tape made for water or air, but they do make a yellow tape for gas. I didn't know that for years and just use the white, until the hardware person educated me.

Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tape is used only on pipe thread fittings, not flare fittings like Steve says
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
I will double check the Teflon tape to make sure I didn't use it on flares. Thanks gang!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

John
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro