No porta potties allowed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I think most of the problem with waste disposal in the woods is the manner in which disposal is done. Mother nature has a wonderful system of taking care of things if not overloaded. Septic tanks use mother nature and does many treatment plants through out the country.

Liquid waste needs to be 100' to 200' away from open water sources. Mother nature will take care of the rest.

Proper disposal is at solid waste at least 6" below the surface and covered well with soil. NO TP included. TP should be disposed in other ways. Read your local Forest Service web site to see what they say about the rules.

If any of you have ever backpacked you'll know what has to be done.

It's like throwing cans, bottles and baby diapers out the window of your car, it's not be done. The louts that abuse the basic rules create a situation where more rules have to be put in place.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have always wondered something..... um, the bears, deer, and other critters don't bury their #2, so why is human #2 regarded so differently? Not that I want to go around leaving droppings all over the woods or anything, but I've always been curious about this.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have always wondered something..... um, the bears, deer, and other critters don't bury their #2, so why is human #2 regarded so differently? Not that I want to go around leaving droppings all over the woods or anything, but I've always been curious about this.
I guess it is the numbers and concentration of campers.

Quote:
Mother Jones: Humans have been pooping au naturel for eons. Why has this suddenly become a problem in the last 30 or 40 years?
Kathleen Meyer: It's the amount of people and the amount of people going in concentrated groups up the same trails and down the same rivers.
Is It Okay To Poop in the Wilderness? | Mother Jones
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
For the same reason "Cave Art" is "Cave Art", unless you do it...
then it's graffiti!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Just another Bible quip............lol (sorry)
God told the Israelites to always go outside the camp and
to be sure to take their paddles (shovels) with them.

I always interpret this that God says He walks among us and
doesn't want to step in our piles............usually perks up the attention.

And as some have stated, we don't want to step in the piles either.......lol.

I like the scene in Back To The Future III where he steps in a horse pile.
Not used to that way of the public streets in the present.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Google is your friend. There are only TWO mammals that will PURPOSELY defacate in their nests (home). Rats and humans. ALL other mammals will try to take care of bodily functions away from "home."

Which are YOU? If you're a boondocker, educate yourself when it comes to "dispersed" camping. That does NOT mean you dump gray/black water at your campsite.

Be a steward of the earth, someone will follow in your footsteps...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #21

Oklahoma
Ok, so there must not be anything extra harmful about human solid waste vs animal. That's good to know. It must be more to do with location, then... humans don't get around in the deep woods as much, we tend to stay closer to the roads, and that would cause a greater concentration of the stinky brown stuff in areas we frequent instead of dispersing it more uniformly throughout the wilds.

Thanks for a good discussion about a crappy subject.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Ok, so there must not be anything extra harmful about human solid waste vs animal..........
Covered in the article I linked above:

Quote:
KM: That's one I get asked a lot—like, why do we have to worry about this; what about all the animals that are popping out there? One, animals don't stay right along the trail. And they also don't fly around the planet like we do and pick up some bacteria in South Africa and sh!t into the Colorado backcountry. We can truck around diseases really fast, whereas something in the animal kingdom would spread more slowly.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Covered in the article I linked above:
Tom,
If you do a search on "pooping in the woods" you'll a large number of use a cat hole hits, one pack it out, and at least one pack it out if the ground won't permit a cat hole.
This is a good example of how you can find anything on the internet to prove your own point of view.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #24

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Tom,
If you do a search on "pooping in the woods" you'll a large number of use a cat hole hits, one pack it out, and at least one pack it out if the ground won't permit a cat hole.
This is a good example of how you can find anything on the internet to prove your own point of view.
Sorry, Byron, I guess I'm missing your point. The article that I linked mentioned that humans, due to global travel, carry a more diverse colony of bacteria than animals that stay local. Thus, their feces may carry more potential pathogens. Does this seem illogical to you?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #25

Oklahoma
I see. We're drinking orange juice from Brazil, eating veggies from Chile, getting chicken from Arkansas and drinking tea from Ceylon. Then we drive 4 states away and take a dump. Animals don't do all that. Now I get it.

Well, I sure like having my bathroom right behind me in the trailer. Mighty convenient.

The only time I'm even tempted to do #2 anyplace outdoors is when I want to stop at a rest area and find that the state has closed it down (for winter, or for cost cutting, or whatever). That makes me want to squat and leave them a message .... but of course I don't.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #26

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
With Boy Scouts, you dig your hole and mark it with a stick so no one else digs a hole and goes there. Then you pick out a flat rock to wee on so the deer and the antelope won't create salt scrapes. Less impact on the eco system. After peeing on a rock for a couple of days, not many, I began to think that this would not be a deterrent to these animals creating a salt lick as they would learn to seek out lone rocks. Yeah, there's one.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #27

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I had to pick a rock.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #28

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I see. We're drinking orange juice from Brazil, eating veggies from Chile, getting chicken from Arkansas and drinking tea from Ceylon. Then we drive 4 states away and take a dump. Animals don't do all that. Now I get it.

Yes, that's right. The problem is that bears don't have driver's licenses.