No power to my Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Name: Charles E
Trailer: Looking for a Casita
Texas
No power to my Casita

Hi, I purchased a Casita 17' SD. The individual that sold it to me had it hooked up to his home outlet via and all of the 110 volt outlets, fridge, microwave, etc, worked.

Towed it home and now I don't have any power. I am using the 30 amp to 110 adapter and I know I am getting power through my extension cord (not a two wire but a normal round cord). I made sure the outlet and cord are working by plugging in a lamp in my house.

I recycled the breakers to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?

The cord I am using is similar to any cord that you buy at Walmart or Home Depot.

Thanks

Charles
charleserwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleserwin View Post
Hi, I purchased a Casita 17' SD. The individual that sold it to me had it hooked up to his home outlet via and all of the 110 volt outlets, fridge, microwave, etc, worked.

Towed it home and now I don't have any power. I am using the 30 amp to 110 adapter and I know I am getting power through my extension cord (not a two wire but a normal round cord). I made sure the outlet and cord are working by plugging in a lamp in my house.

I recycled the breakers to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?

The cord I am using is similar to any cord that you buy at Walmart or Home Depot.

Thanks

Charles
I am assuming you mean 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor
1) Bad trailer service cord
2) Bad male cord cap on trailer service cord
3 ) Loose / bad connections of 120 VAC service conductors at converter / main breaker / neutral buss
4) Defective main 30 amp SP breaker in converter
5) Defective 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor.
6) Main 30 amp breaker loose on main buss or burnt buss tab
7) Breakers not reset properly ( move breaker handle to the FULL OFF position then turn on) Just flipping the breaker off and back on may not reset the breaker.
8) Bad extension cord / Bad cord caps ( male or female)
9) Worn or defective house receptacle

Take a volt meter and starting at the source of power check to see if there is 120 VAC at each termination / connection point..
At some point in the circuit you will find you lost power or the neutral connection..
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
If the previous owner installed a EMS (surge protector) make sure it is turned on. Mine has a switch on the display panel that has to be in the on position to power the trailer.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
In that you say you know you're getting power through the cord, this may be of little use...but is it plugged into a GFI protected outlet? If plugged into a typical garage or outdoor outlet it may be that the breaker on the outlet (or in the panel) is just tripped. Sorry, lame answer, I know.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One more place to check is the GFCI receptacle in the kitchen.
The outside receptacle and the microwave receptacle are fed from the load side of the Kitchen GFCI.
The GFCI receptacle may be tripped or defective . The GFCI in my Casita went bad within the first year . If the kitchen GFCI receptacle will not reset then check the outside receptacle , it is often the source of the problem / tripping
Check the receptacles by the front closet and on the face of the side dinette seat and see if they are energized. These receptacles are on a different circuit then the kitchen and are not GFCI protected.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Fleetwood Prowler
Alabama
That was an excellent answer!
SteveSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #7

Name: Charles E
Trailer: Looking for a Casita
Texas
Power restored

Thanks everyone. I got it going. I had a bad power cord that I thought I had tested and then an outlet that was not live. Combination of self inflicted errors.
charleserwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita