No propane flow - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2016, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
No propane flow

Scamp 16 2012... Cooked breakfast yesterday (gas worked), hot water ok too. Today, no gas flow. Unhooked has tank for 10 min., re-attached... Still no gas. Any suggestions? Working fine for weeks. Tank is 3/4 or so full.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 06-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Disconnecting, waiting a few minutes and reconnecting should reset the safety device in the tank valve. If you shake the tank, do you feel the liquid sloshing around? (In other words, is it really 3/4 full?)

My experience is that it takes some time to push the air out of the lines before I get the gas at the burner after reconnecting.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

Kansas
Thanks, Paul. Will double-check this when I get home later today... but I just had tank filled a couple of weeks ago. Had been working fine up to now (after that fill). I had taken it in for a fill thinking that it was empty, but it was not - I guess the same thing happened then except at that time, I assumed the tank was empty.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca3 View Post
Thanks, Paul. Will double-check this when I get home later today... but I just had tank filled a couple of weeks ago. Had been working fine up to now (after that fill). I had taken it in for a fill thinking that it was empty, but it was not - I guess the same thing happened then except at that time, I assumed the tank was empty.
If you have a propane grille, you might try your tank on it to assure that the tank works as it should. If so, then you might check the regulator to see if there is an obstruction in the vent(Insect nest?) that could cause the regulator to shut down, perhaps replacing the regulator if you still have no flow.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Gas flow

We had a problem that was two fold gunk in the line we drained out and needed a new regulator, Gunk stopped the propane from flowing and the regulator was restricting flow amount. Disconnection below trailer drained it and used propane thread tape when reconnecting line. Wax like black fluid came out, about an ounce in our case. Worked but had a problem with running furnace, fridge, hot water tank and stove at the same time, that was the regulator.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Being a 2012 Scamp you should have a newer tank with a safety shut off valve which is intended to shut off gas flow if a line gets severed. The tanks with the valve have a roughly triangular shaped valve handle.

Did you disconnect the tank for some reason before you had the problem. If so you may have opened the valve too quickly and tripped the safety valve. I have had this problem in the past when I was in a hurry.

Here is the sequence to solve the problem:

-Turn off the valve at the tank.
-Loosen the connection from the tank to the regulator. You should hear a short hiss as the pressure releases at the connection.
-Now crack the valve open slowly to establish back pressure on the safety valve.
-Now open the valve all the way.

If this solves the problem, you have just confirmed that the safety valve is working. That's a good thing.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

Kansas
[Problem Solved]

This was a case of user error and assumptions: I had assumed that the tank was not empty, but when I checked it, it was! I spoke with an RV service person who told me that using a shower, or hot water, in general, dramatically increases usage of propane. I knew I was using more, but I had no idea how much more. So... she described the
Camco 11673 Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit to me. I will research this further... It may make sense for me to do this if I continue my volunteer efforts and stay in places for several months at a time while hooked up to electricity.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

Kansas
Problem solved

Tags
propane