No Vin, no title how to register in AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: AJ
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
No Vin, no title how to register in AZ

Hi, I am new to the forum My name is AJ and I am from Arizona. I Just bought a Burro, My first one, been dreaming about it for a while. I will be pulling it with my H3, according to the seller it is a 1980 or so, and he said it was a kit built by family that was never registered, What is the best way to title this little thing in Arizona.

Thank you for helping.
megatrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by megatrack View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum My name is AJ and I am from Arizona. I Just bought a Burro, My first one, been dreaming about it for a while. I will be pulling it with my H3, according to the seller it is a 1980 or so, and he said it was a kit built by family that was never registered, What is the best way to title this little thing in Arizona.

Thank you for helping.
Actually the kit should have come with a certificate of origin which would be used to procure a title. Lacking that, you should approach someone at the DMV and tell them the truth and ask for help, Go to an office some distance from your house the first time so that you can keep all options open!
A little judiciously applied obsequiousness might be wise when dealing with autocratic bureaucrats.
Look here...
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Registry
You need to go to you local state office that deals with it and ask. Usually it needs a statement of origin. There may be other possibilities. I've never heard of a "kit built" camper but anything is possible I guess. I hope you at least got a signed dated bill of sale.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Burro kits were trailers that were complete on the outside, but you had to assemble and install the inside yourself. They should have received a "Manufacturers Statement of Origin" which would be a printed form.

If they can't come up with it check magazines that are for antique car buffs. You may find ads for title procurement.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Kit built trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
mp0058.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is a Burro kit:
Click image for larger version

Name:	BurroKit.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	43940

Burro Kits
Here is what you get:

Basic 14 and 17 foot Widebody Kits include
  • Double wall construction and laminated fiberglass coach
  • Welded box steel and angle frame
  • 5/8" fiberglass-coated floor (interior and exterior)
  • Rubber torsion axle
  • Two 185/80D13 wheels and tires
  • 2" ball coupler and adjustable tongue mounted swivel jack with wheels
  • Two safety chains
  • Interior walls, furniture and cabinetry installed
  • 4 tinted windows installed
  • 1 Entrance door pre-hung with flush mounted lock, deluxe hinges, window and screen door
  • Burro decals and label
Includes Wood Group, Appliance Group,
Electrical Group and Decorative Group.
Detailed assembly instructions included.
The standard Burro Kit requires approximately 40-80 hours of assembly time for an experienced assembler to complete and can be assembled with ordinary hand and power tools. Your actual
assembly time may vary.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here in NY the "right answer" for registering a trailer that had no paperwork is "it's been in my possesion for more than a year". Or we can register one as "home made". If all else fails, there's a thread over on the T&TTT site about how you can easily register a trailer in Maine, even if you don't live there. It's by a PA resident, apparently PA is tough to deal with on paperwork, so he registered his in Maine and I believe a few others have done so too. That would give you a registration that could be used to get a AZ title later. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm.... A 42 year old virgin??? This story has the makings of a movie. It's hard to believe that in 40+ years that it has never been registered somewhere, making it a bit suspect to me.
As mentioned, there are several states that don't title older trailers and getting transferrable registration there seems to be fairly easy. But be warned; I once bought an Airstream Bambi in VA with a "fresh" MS registration. When I traced the ownership through the Wally Byam (sp?) group it turned out that it had been stolen from a storage yard in VA and re-registered in MS by mail. The real owners didn't even know it was gone. And Yes, the perps were caught.
Again, be careful, Sheriff Joe has a free parking place and pink jump suits for trailer thieves in PHX.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Burro's "zombie" site can be viewed at burrotrailers.com The site doesn't know that the company folded a dozen years ago.

I suspect the webmaster keeps it up as a portfolio to show potential clients.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Did it ever have plates or "tags"? Hard to believe it was never towed on the road. That paperwork might help.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #11

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Sometimes you just have to out think the DMV.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
You will have to check with your DMV as the answer to your question will be dependent upon your states laws. Unfortunately, not every state handles this issue the same.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #13

Math Error
Oooops, I reread my last post on this and I now realize that this Burro is being presented as a 32 (not 42) year old virgin..... But my concerns about legal ownership still apply (as does it's untouched status.)

Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You may have to register it in S. Dakota, I here you can register anything there.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
generaly a bill of sale , or receipt. a weigh slip from a comercial scale, is all you need to title a trailer, though your state may require an inspection for safety, by a mechanic.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I purchased my CT from PA, in PA they apparently don't do VIN checks. When I bought my CT the title had a VIN number. When I went back to Ohio to register it, they do an inspection and VIN check, I did not previously realize that the VIN plate was blank where the VIN was supposed to be and Ohio would not register it at first. After several trips, I was finally able to register it with no problems, you do the math.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #17

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I had a friend who, after repeated attempts, gave up trying to register and non-titled trailer in AZ. I ended up registering it for him in MN as a home made. This worked out swell as years later I ended up buying the trailer, and it was already in my name.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
how come you don;t call the department of motor vehicles in arizona and find out?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #19

RE: No VIN no Title
I hope that AJ doesn't have this same problem (and the one I posted re: a Bambi I bought)
Bought a Stolen Travel Trailer
As we all know, small travel trailer, boat and motorhome scams abound on CraigsList and elsewhere.
Basic rule: "If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is"

Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #20

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Yep, NY didn't require title or registration when my trailer was last on the road. I did my homework and WAS smarter than DMV. I told them what the rules were and I finally got all the correct paperwork. #1 rule....do research, call several offices And demand answers. There is a way to do it, you just have to find it
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, vin