No vin on play pac= no title=no regiatratuin - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Francesca,
I do not wish to argue with you and maybe Washington has problems with titles, but here in Pa. the number that is on the title came from someone @ DMV verifying that number existed on the trailer. They then issue a title with that VIN, it is only assigned to you, no one else. You can search VIN# and obtain owners names, I have done it. No anyone can have a title with a vin on it, it has to be visually seen by dmv or state police. Why would I want to stamp my vin on someone else's trailer?
The label with my vin is slowly deteriorating and before it is gone, I'm going to duplicate it in several places, both inside and outside.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #42

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
here in Pa. the number that is on the title came from someone @ DMV verifying that number existed on the trailer. They then issue a title with that VIN, it is only assigned to you, no one else.
As you say, there has to be an original number on the vehicle to verify to begin with.
And I'm pretty sure that VIN's are permanently issued to vehicles, not to owners, and that legally issued number goes on the title.
Even in Pennsylvania.

Not that Meghan has a title, either.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #43

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
I'm merging this with yesterday's posts
Ohhhhhh cool thanks!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #44

New York
Registry
I did find out that titles weren't issues in my for this small of a camper of this age
Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #45

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So if you don't need a title then no registration, correct? No registration, no tags? maybe they are telling you you do not need tags? have you researched NY dmv rules on this yourself?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Start here maybe: NYS DMV - Proofs of Ownership
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #47

New York
Registry
I have. But they don't agree with me and say their office can't do that. it has tags from 1982. They can't trace it though. You can apparently register it without a title
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #48

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Meghan, I wonder if you can get it titled and registered as a home built or custom trailer? Read everything carefully, it may need a complete inspection.

NYS DMV - How to Register a Trailer that is Homemade or Custom-built
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #49

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
How about taking the tags off, and go to another DMV with just your paperwork from the prior owner. Just a thought.(I had 'fun' getting tags for my military surplus Scamp too).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #50

New York
Registry
I asked about reg it as home made. Although that is how alot if people do it, it is not the legal way. And just asking I was warned not to do it unless I want to get in big trouble. I do have a whole file of people saying that was how they did it. Not sure if I want to attempt something I was warned against......
Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #51

New York
Registry
I still don't have a vin and they will still send me to the vin guy who told me he won't give me a vin. Believe me I have researched the crap out of it. It is just them not knowing how to do what the law says they need to do. And nobody wants to take responsibility for something they aren't familiar with
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #52

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Big trouble, like what? The DMV is being a pain in the rear. I had a similar problem with my CT-13. It had a title with a VIN number, but the CT did not have a VIN number on it. The CT-13 has a metal plate on the left side with the trailer info on in including a sot for a VIN #, however the spot for the VIN number was blank. So when I went in for an inspection they would not title it in Ohio. I purchased it in PA. So since the title had a VIN, I electrostensiled the VIN # from the title onto the plate and my problems went away. After you get your ducks back in order go to another DMV to get the title done. The DMV in many cases don't know their own rules, for instance when I went to get a historic license plate on my CT the first DMV didn't think you could do that until they called another DMV to ask them, short story is yes you can get a historical license plate on a trailer in Ohio.

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #53

New York
Registry
I will still have to go see the same guy to put the vin on and 1 he will remember me and 2 I don't have proof that it is home made. fraud maybe???
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #54

New York
Registry
I am worrying myself sick....literally. I am going to bed and hope that there are wonderful helpful tips here when I wake in the morning.... Or the Vin fairy has highlighted the Vin and my problems are answered. Oy my head hurts!! Night all!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #55

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
stamp a number you like on that thing and fill out a bill of sale from the seller to you with the same number...have a plate made for an interior cabinet door under the sink with the number also.....drive into connecticut and register it.....you may need a address here or someone with one...keep the thing registered in CT to avoid the ding dongs for awhile.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #56

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Go to a different city (DMV) in the state, he can't be the only guy in the state that does that.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
VINs are not assigned by the DMV they are assigned by the manufacturer.

Meghan, don't panic or make yourself sick, slow down. Go to a different DMV, as has been suggested. If that doesn't work make calls to a bunch of them from the comfort of your own home. Keep track of who you are talking to, their name and contact numbers. Make it a game, keep talking to people till you get the answer you want. Be nice, play the dumb blonde. It works for me all the time...except now I play the little old gray haired lady.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #58

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Here's a thought(from a Calif DMV employee): Buy a wrecked trailer-get it registered, then transfer the VIN to the your trailer and scrap(as in pieces) the wrecked one. I've seen it work too.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #59

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The state of IL folks registered our previously-owned Burro as homemade, not us, so it is done on these trailers in some places, even by the DMV folks..

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #60

New York
Registry
Well everyone...I am at it again this morning. I woke stressing about this and my head is killing me. I spent the morning writing a letter to my Aunt in the DMV to see if she can help me ( she did steer me in the right direction before). I think I will be calling DMV and try to find one that gives me the correct answer. They all tend to give me the same phone numbers that lead to dead ends though. I appreciate all your feedback and will be trying all things mentioned while still trying to find that elusive VIN stamp. Can we put out an APB for all Play Pac owners to photograph theirs so I know where it is????
Wish me luck

Tags
vin