non-glass mirror? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
non-glass mirror?

I'd like to stick a mirror on my bathroom door. Something full length, lighweight, and even non-glass if possible. Anyone have any suggestions where I might find such an animal. I just spent an hour googling it, but no luck. Maybe there is special verbiage to describe such a thing?

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I got mine for my previous Scamp at a glass shop. They even cut it to the size I wanted for the door, and I was able to purchase the necessary hardware to hang it also.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Texas
Hey, thanks. Do you remember the name of the glass shop that you got your non-glass mirror at?

S.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
I just spent an hour googling it, but no luck. Maybe there is special verbiage to describe such a thing?
There is certainly an art and science to picking search terms! I tried "shatterproof mirror" and was given lots of relevant matches.

Polished metal mirrors have been common in camping equipment, but that wouldn't cover the size that you want; fortunately some of the links in that Google search look suitable. Some are metal; I wouldn't be surprised in some are plastic with "silvering" on the back like a glass mirror.

I like this idea. Sharon, please let us know what you find and how it works out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Texas
Will do. My search terms were "non-glass door mirrors, shatterproof door mirrors, metal tile mirrors." None worked to point me to a place with those. Let me try your terms next.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I replaced a couple of door mirrors on my boat with the plastic type. They looked great, are lighter but they aren't as durable as glass. They scratch quite easily. You almost can't clean them without scratching them.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Sharon, it has been a number of years since we purchased that mirror, but we bought it locally at Arcadia Glass Co in Mesa, AZ delivers a wide range of quality glass products from windows to tub enclosures.. I was going to try to call them to find out the name of the material, but they are closed on Sat & Sundays. You can use a special plastic polish/wax that I use on the plastic convertible windows, to clean the mirror. This protects and keeps the scratches out.

Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Try search term plexiglass mirror or sheet acrylic mirror.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Texas
Thanks folks. Found several after using plastic/plexiglass/acrylic in the search. Man, they certainly are pricey. Time to think about this...

S.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Searching for "acrylic mirror" in the Home Depot Canada site, I found that they sell a 2'x4' sheet (for $62), which would be a pretty good size for a long door mirror. I don't see any need for a frame - I would just smooth the edges and stick it in place with 3M Command adhesive strips... although it's important not to wreck the coating on the back.

I agree this is not cheap, but I have broken a glass mirror of this size, and that's not a happy situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #11

Texas
I also found it at Home Depot. $60. I really would like to buy this. Rethinking budget at this point.

S.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I heard some time ago that Walmart had some kind of stick on mirror material. Never actually saw it though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
My father worked for a company that built Mylar mirrors. They consist of a frame (they used aluminum) with 1mil Mylar glued and stretched across it, then heat shrunk. Better than a glass mirror but not easily cleaned -it scratched. Advantages were light weight & it doesn't steam up.

About the only place you can get small pieces of the stuff is theatrical suppliers; I'm not even sure they still sell it since I rarely bought it. We used rejects from the mirror plant. I've made wooden framed 5' wide by 20' high mirrors for use on stage, but I also had a 2' square one that was great in the bathroom.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I heard some time ago that Walmart had some kind of stick on mirror material. Never actually saw it though.
I've seen a product like that in the automotive department.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #15

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Check your local glass shops. The glass shops here have this type thing and if you go in and talk to them they just might have a scrap piece they would make you a good price on. The shop here in my town will sale end pieces at a discount also check around your cabinet shops and big shops that do remodels.

For years I worked for different retail stores that used this type mirrors,we did found them easy to clean with just a damp towel,I also don't remember them being easy to scratch
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote