non opening rear window 13 ft Casita PD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 1997 Casita 13 ft Patriot Deluxe
I have a "new" 1997 Casita PD I just bought a week ago. It is in excellent condition. Spent the weekend testing all the systems. They are a "go". I replaced the battery, what a job that was, had to partially remove the seat to get it in..
I love it so much already, and am taking it to Breckenridge this weekend to visit my daughter, plan to stay in it at her house.
I do not like that the back window does not open, only the side windows and vent in roof for fresh air. So not much fresh air coming in. Has anyone had the back window replaced with one that will open?
Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrat's! Welcome to the wonderful world of egg addiction.

Woooo Hooo another Coloradoan!

As far as your window, hopefully someone will have done this project and be able to guide you. But if not my suggestion is to call Casita, our 17fter's back window opens so maybe they make one for the 13ft'er.
I think I would only order a opening window from Casita just for the fact I have seen a lot of mod's that the products used weren't meant for the rounded shape of our trailers less successful. Good Luck! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #3

Name: Monte
Trailer: Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
Louisiana
Hi Diane! I see this post was from several years ago, but I am considering a similar modification and I am curious if you ever found a solution here?

Thanks!
Monte
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Lots of manufacturers of all-molded towables realize, a whole bunch of dust/dirt/rain can come inside your trailer when the rear window opens. Ten Forward has a solid window for that exact reason. ETI researched the issue, made their decision during the build. AND it's now standard. No opening rear window!

Remember, it's not when you're camped, it's under tow!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Lots of manufacturers of all-molded towables realize, a whole bunch of dust/dirt/rain can come inside your trailer when the rear window opens. Ten Forward has a solid window for that exact reason. ETI researched the issue, made their decision during the build. AND it's now standard. No opening rear window!

Remember, it's not when you're camped, it's under tow!
I have both a rear window that opens and a front window that opens. No dust. No dirt. The jalousies do allow a little water in in a hard rain. Tablespoon or two at most. It flows out the weep holes as long as the trailer is level. If not, it collects in the channel. Whole bunch, not in my experience. I get more from condensation. Scamp has a slider in the rear of the 13' (Scamp windows). I've never heard of a complaint??

When I looked at an Escape, the owner told me his trailer was one of the last with a front window that opens. He was glad he had it. He said Escape stopped putting opening windows there because people complained. Complaints are bad for business. My guess is that people left the windows open while underway. In that case, whole bunch might be an understatement. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
When I looked at an Escape, the owner told me his trailer was one of the last with a front window that opens. He was glad he had it. He said Escape stopped putting opening windows there because people complained. Complaints are bad for business.
Escape stopped putting in the front opening window because the window manufacturer quit making it in that size. Yes, a whole bunch of folks have complained (over different build types) about dust/dirt coming in through an opening back window. Cruise over to the other three big all-molded-towable forums and read all about it. But, if an owner wants an opening window, the window can usually be installed. May require some fiberglass work. With enough time and money nearly anything is possible.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No complaints from this Scamp owner about the opening rear window! It has vibrated open once or twice, usually because I was careless in closing it. If I engage the latch and back the window a smidge so there is pressure on the latch, it stays closed.

My understanding is that standard opening windows cannot be mounted on the compound curved surface on the front and back of most Boler-derived eggs, including Scamp and Casita 13'ers. When Scamp switched to an opening slider in the 80's, they modified the upper mold to create a flat, vertical window mounting area. You can see the outline pretty clearly in this photo:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	87544
Looks like Casita never did the same, so they still have a fixed plexiglass window that curves with the shell. I think it likely that fiberglass work will be needed to make a regular window fit. BTW- Re post #2, the 17' was a completely new design, providing an opportunity to incorporate a flat surface for an opening rear window.

Have you posted your question on the Casita forum? My impression is that's where most of the technical discussions about Casitas happen. I don't see too many here.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

Name: Monte
Trailer: Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
Louisiana
Really appreciate the info gang. I will run the same question by the casita forum and see if this is a realistic mod.

Thanks!
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Every year we go to the Outer Banks for at least a week. We bought our trailer with that in mind. NPS campgrounds have no hook ups. It's rare there isn't a sea breeze. Opening all the windows, what can I say, heaven . Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Monte, if changing out the rear window turns out to be a dead end for you, you could also look into replacing the side windows with something that provides more ventilation. Scamp switched to radius jalousies (as of 2014), which give a greater area open for breezes (and can be left open in the rain):

Name:   Scamp.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  10.9 KB

You might even be able to find a larger size or different style that will fit by going directly to the window manufacturer (Hehr, I think). Changing or enlarging the side windows might end up being less work than reshaping the fiberglass in the back. Just a thought...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita