Non-resident dump going rate? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Non-resident dump going rate?

I would like to know how much people have paid for dumping if they simply show up as non-resident. Recently we dry camped at Hecla Junction on the Arkansas river and a nearby campground wanted $20 from me to use their dump. In the past years I paid $5 or $10, but $20 seemed outrageous. It was confirmed that other CG's in the area also charge same. I drove home and took care of it bucket by bucket and opened wide all house windows after that. (I do not like the extra weight and stress on the Scamp on the way home, nor do I appreciate the stinky job, but $20?)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I guess they can charge what they want, so long as everyone plays along.

Where I dump is a gas station. No different for locals or out of towners. $5 fee, or free with a $15 purchase. I top off on gas whenever I dump my tanks.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For the most part I just use free ones, and have seemed to find them fairly well. There have been a few places I had to pay and the cost was usually $10 or less.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
AllStays Camp & RV app, as well as many other campground finder apps list dump stations & cost, and there are apps & websites that only list dump sites. Might be useful for finding something between the high prices ones & home...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We often camp in campgrounds that have a dump station with no additional fees. In the west, it’s possible to find gas stations with free dump stations and we might leave our no services campground and drive 50 to
100 miles and then gas and access one of these sites. In Iowa, many of the Interstate rest areas have free dump stations. Some parks have a minimal fee for non campers too. We “catalog” those sites or check on the internet and access free or cheap sites as necessary. A few places allow grey water to be dumped in the woods but not too many from my experience. I stopped at a USForest service campground in Montana where you could dump for $2. The host acted like I was about to beat them out of the money pointing out the deposit post for the money three times which was accessible as we were leaving. He looked at our Escape which had the Made in British Columbia decal on the back and an Iowa license plate. He said “You Canadians have all the money so it shouldn’t bother you to pay two bucks”’ He was staring at the rear of the 19 but did not read the license plate. I figured one catty remark deserved another so I told him “we’re not Canadian but I’ve got plenty of money” that finally shut him up.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

Colorado
Thank you guys, it seems that the campgrounds in the Arkansas river headwaters, e.i. the valley between Salida and Buena Vista have so much river rafting traffic that they can charge whatever they want and they all settled on $20. Is that what they call collusion? (Just joking.)

I am going to explore Jon's idea and check out Allstays. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Thank you guys, it seems that the campgrounds in the Arkansas river headwaters, e.i. the valley between Salida and Buena Vista have so much river rafting traffic that they can charge whatever they want and they all settled on $20. Is that what they call collusion? (Just joking.)

I am going to explore Jon's idea and check out Allstays. Thanks!

Plus the public dump stations in Salida and Poncha Springs are both closed.
Getting fresh water has also become a challenge.
Less supply, more demand equals higher prices.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
I would like to know how much people have paid for dumping if they simply show up as non-resident. Recently we dry camped at Hecla Junction on the Arkansas river and a nearby campground wanted $20 from me to use their dump. In the past years I paid $5 or $10, but $20 seemed outrageous. It was confirmed that other CG's in the area also charge same. I drove home and took care of it bucket by bucket and opened wide all house windows after that. (I do not like the extra weight and stress on the Scamp on the way home, nor do I appreciate the stinky job, but $20?)
Talking here about dumping black/gray water, right? NOT simple empty packages and kitchen garbage.

Brave of you to take it home and do it there and all. I think I'd have paid the $20, but I'm older now and less likely to do the bucket by bucket route.

Besides, in Peanut, we have a porta-potty and deal with it as we travel. Only, maybe, the last day's worth ends up at home. Not such a daunting task then.

Better luck next time finding free or cheap places to dump.

"K"
Old 06-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
I paid $25 at the closest place to me which was the fairgrounds RV park in San Jose.

I dunno about anyone else but I'd pay a whole lot more than $20 not to have to haul buckets of poopy water through my kitchen.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Most sites around here are free. I currently live in a town with no free sites, but the town 2 hours away where I used to live has at least 3 free sites.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Colorado View Post
Plus the public dump stations in Salida and Poncha Springs are both closed.
Getting fresh water has also become a challenge.
Less supply, more demand equals higher prices.
That makes perfect sense now - we see the market forces at work!

When we camped at the Hecla Junction earlier this spring, we paid at the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Visitor Center in Salida and we were given free water from the spigot at their building, thanks to the nice lady who was at the desk. This week we were at the Mt. Princeton CG one night and they only have wells with hand pumps (some of which need repair). An absolutely beautiful spot otherwise.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #12

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Quote:
That makes perfect sense now - we see the market forces at work!

When we camped at the Hecla Junction earlier this spring, we paid at the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Visitor Center in Salida and we were given free water from the spigot at their building, thanks to the nice lady who was at the desk. This week we were at the Mt. Princeton CG one night and they only have wells with hand pumps (some of which need repair). An absolutely beautiful spot otherwise.

We were in the area two weeks ago. The USFS station in Salida used to have water and a dump. No more.
They simply have a sign on the door directing you to commercial campground dump stations.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
If you are in the Canon City, CO area there is a Conoco gas station just off of Hwy 50 one block south on Raynolds Ave that charges $7 to dump. I see people in there a lot dumping. At the west end of Canon City is a Shell station called Hanks Travel Stop and the restaurant is Big Daddy's. They have a dump and propane. Their food is good also. At the Colorado/Utah border there is a Colorado State Visitor Center that has a free dump. The rest area is very nice and has a military memorial also. If you are going into Kansas there is a free dump at a rest area at the border in Colorado in Burlington. If in northern Colorado there is a free dump in the rest area off I-25 right at the Wyoming border. I've used all of these free ones in the last year.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
At every Pilot/Flying J the dump and water fill is $3.00 with the (free) professional drivers card.

All the Camping Worlds I’ve seen have free dump and water fills.

I’d start pooping in the woods before I’d pay $25.00 to dump.

We’ve camped in 45 states and several Canadian provinces, almost always boondocking and we’ve never had a problem finding a place to dump. I think the most I ever paid was $10.00 at a private campground in Pahrump, NV as we were driving through the area.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #15

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
https://www.rvdumps.com/map-of-rv-dump-stations/
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
So last week I stayed at a NY State Park for five days.. it was threatening to rain when I arrived so, before registering, I first went to the dump area where there is also potable water, and filled up my water tank before the rain hit. Only the entrance is visible from the ranger's station, but still a woman came out of the office and walked the 700 yards or so toward the entrance and as I started to pull back onto the main drive and head toward to the office to register, she started running toward me. So I stopped and she told me it was $7 for dumping (if not staying). I apologized for making troubling her since I did not dump and was headed to the office to register.

So to answer your question, $7.

$20 sure does seem steep (esp for a small FBRV) but considering the size of some of the tanks on Class A motor-homes, and the possibility of excessive government regulations, and perhaps the added cost to maintain the disposal system that they might have.. perhaps its fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Helpful but the State Park I just mentioned is not listed, and in fact I can there are MANY dump stations available that are not on that map.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd gladly pay $20 versus bucketing it out. Fortunately, I have a strategically located sewer clean out on my driveway that serves me well.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
At every Pilot/Flying J the dump and water fill is $3.00 with the (free) professional drivers card.

All the Camping Worlds I’ve seen have free dump and water fills.

I’d start pooping in the woods before I’d pay $25.00 to dump.

We’ve camped in 45 states and several Canadian provinces, almost always boondocking and we’ve never had a problem finding a place to dump. I think the most I ever paid was $10.00 at a private campground in Pahrump, NV as we were driving through the area.
I've never seen a water fill or dump at a Camping World yet. I'm not saying they aren't there but have not seen them. Do you have to ask about them? I've been to Camping World in CO, NM, TN and many others. Flying J gives a discount to Good Sam members also. How do you get the professional drivers Flying J card? It would be a lot cheaper than any others.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #19

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Wow. I never realized places charge for dumping. We have a cassette toilet. If I can’t use a free dump station I just take it to a rest area or business and dump it in a toilet. Fast and clean.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Wow. I never realized places charge for dumping. We have a cassette toilet. If I can’t use a free dump station I just take it to a rest area or business and dump it in a toilet. Fast and clean.
We have been to several campgrounds in Minnesota and Wisconsin that had signs posted “ No dumping of gray / dish water or portable / cassette toilets in the restroom facilities” .
The reasoning I got for the rule was they didn’t have the time or resources to clean up the mess people left . I’ve personally seen people dump gray / dish water down the shower drains leaving a mess all over the shower floor
I have also seen people who own large class A motorhomes dump their tanks in the pit privies , flooding the privy , making it unusable for others .

If caught dumping in the restrooms the fine is rather hefty— still not hefty enough for my liking !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote