Noob question - bed linens in a Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Noob question - bed linens in a Bigfoot

Hi All,

I just purchased a 1989 Bigfoot B-17G Deluxe, which is in virtually original condition, and I'm in the process of getting it ready for the first shakedown trip. Here are some photos of it...

trainjunkie's Trailer :: Boomer Caboose - Bigfoot B17G Deluxe

This is my first travel trailer so some things that may be obvious to some of you RV veterans, are not so obvious to me at first glance. One of these issues is how most people make up the bed for sleeping.

The B-17G has a "convert-a-bunk" in the rear (the "Gaucho") with the lower bed being comprised of a slide-out platform that supports the various couch cushions to form a "mattress". The overall size of the "mattress" is about 42-inches by 76-inches, which doesn't match any conventional mattress size I know of (see attached diagram).

To further confuse the issue, the dinette bed comes out to about 43 x 79 inches, and the upper bunk above the Gaucho is about 35 x 72 inches.

So while planning my first outing in this, I got to wondering what size sheets some of you carry and how make up your beds for sleeping. I will eventually be using all three beds and I don't want to carry a bunch of different sheet sets for each bed. My first thought was just to get all queen size flat sheets, which would be larger than the largest bed, and just tuck the bottom sheet under the mattress on all four sides. But not having done it yet, I have no idea if this is practical.

Just looking for whatever strategy you have found to work the best so I don't have to experiment too much by starting from scratch.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
mattressizes.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
you should be able to use a full size on the biggest one, and twin size on the smaller ones. they're made for thicker mattresses, so you'll have a bit of flexibility with the couple inches longer than regular bed sizes (the larger of the 2 small ones would probably be the closest to having problems. if you don't already have twin sheets, might wanna just get 1 to try it out on both of them first). For me, I'd use fitted sheets instead of flat, but we move around a bit when sleeping and a flat sheet would just come loose when tucked underneath.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
For me, I'd use fitted sheets instead of flat, but we move around a bit when sleeping and a flat sheet would just come loose when tucked underneath.
You can use something like these on either fitted or flat:
Sheet straps made by Holdup Suspender with patented Gripper Clasps in 2 style kitss
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Dude...sweet trailer! We just got an 86' BF(17ft) and we're taking it out this weekend for the first time. This is a great question- we were wondering about this. This is our first trailer as well...so cool
Bluebamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Alaska
Registry
Good suggestions here, thanks! I went with Harlequin's suggestion to use a twin size sheet set on the gaucho and it does fit pretty well. I used a fitted sheet over the cushions and it seems to fit well enough to stay put. I haven't spent the night in it yet but if I have an issue with she sheets moving around too much I'll look into those sheet straps Roy mentioned above. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
One additional size - Do a Google search for 3/4 sheets. They are 48" X 75"...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Hi All,

I just purchased a 1989 Bigfoot B-17G Deluxe, which is in virtually original condition, and I'm in the process of getting it ready for the first shakedown trip. Here are some photos of it...

trainjunkie's Trailer :: Boomer Caboose - Bigfoot B17G Deluxe

This is my first travel trailer so some things that may be obvious to some of you RV veterans, are not so obvious to me at first glance. One of these issues is how most people make up the bed for sleeping.

The B-17G has a "convert-a-bunk" in the rear (the "Gaucho") with the lower bed being comprised of a slide-out platform that supports the various couch cushions to form a "mattress". The overall size of the "mattress" is about 42-inches by 76-inches, which doesn't match any conventional mattress size I know of (see attached diagram).

To further confuse the issue, the dinette bed comes out to about 43 x 79 inches, and the upper bunk above the Gaucho is about 35 x 72 inches.

So while planning my first outing in this, I got to wondering what size sheets some of you carry and how make up your beds for sleeping. I will eventually be using all three beds and I don't want to carry a bunch of different sheet sets for each bed. My first thought was just to get all queen size flat sheets, which would be larger than the largest bed, and just tuck the bottom sheet under the mattress on all four sides. But not having done it yet, I have no idea if this is practical.

Just looking for whatever strategy you have found to work the best so I don't have to experiment too much by starting from scratch.

Thanks!

Sheets??? Those are for home beds. We use sleeping bags. A whole lot less fuss.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #8

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Sheets??? Those are for home beds. We use sleeping bags. A whole lot less fuss.
I probably should have mentioned this in the first post but I am perpetually hot, even in cold weather. I detest sleeping bags. Very uncomfortable for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I probably should have mentioned this in the first post but I am perpetually hot, even in cold weather. I detest sleeping bags. Very uncomfortable for me.
There are many many different weights of sleeping bags. We actually carry 3 different temperature ranges. My wife sleep cold so she has one rated to about 30°F. I sleep much warmer and have one rated to 50°F. For very warm nights there's the very light weight ones. They're nothing more than a sheet blanket with a zipper.
I used to have problems with sleeping bags being too hot. Then I got a light weight bag and went backpacking. After a couple night I really liked my sleeping bag. If you haven't slept out on the ground with the stars overhead I can understand how you might not like sleeping bags.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #10

Alaska
Registry
Thanks Byron. Yes, I do have a lightweight sleeping bag, and yes, I have slept "under the stars" on many occasions. But sleeping outside and sleeping in a room, especially a room that is a little 17-foot TT, are two different things. Not to mention it's summer here in Alaska, where we have 22 to 23 hours of light, which means I'll be closing it up tighter than a drum to block out the light, in a trailer with no AC.

At home, I sleep with a sheet over me and a fan blowing on me and I'll still kick that off in my sleep at least a dozen times a night. Then when I cool off I pull the sheet back over me. It's a vicious cycle that is the result of a medical condition I have that makes me the "human furnace". I can literally heat up a room, which my wife finds very handy in the winter, but which makes me incredibly uncomfortable in small spaces when I'm sleeping.

I'm going to try sleeping in this thing with just sheets and a fan running for now but I suspect I'll be looking for an air conditioning unit before I get a good night's sleep. Fortunately, this particular trailer came pre-wired for AC although it has never had a unit installed. But it likely will soon after I discover how hot it gets in there when sleeping. Thanks for your suggestions, but for me a sleeping bag is a last resort.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We pack 4 full flat sheets and 2 twin flat sheets in our 1980 15B17G. The twin sheets are for the bunk; but, none of the grandkids will sleep on it because it's too near the ceiling. We always use both the dinette and gaucho beds. We have added air conditioning to our Bigfoot. This time of the year in Texas it's still in the 90's at 10PM.

1980 Bigfoot :: rear gaucho bed & bunk picture by tomNjo - Photobucket
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #12

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
For sleeping when it's bright outside, get a sleep mask. I had one when we did our Alaska trips. They pretty much cut out all light. I had one I bought and one my wife made. Both worked really well.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you can use flat sheets and learn a hospital corner,,,or like we do,, just throw a comforter on the bed and sleep on top of it.adds comfort to the less then stellar mattress too.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot