Norcold 3way fridge in my ParkLiner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well I opened it up and vacumed it out and it seems to be working.... unfortunatly the sun is on that side of the trailer so I can't see the flame very well cause its too bright....will relight it again tonight when I get home from work if I remember lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If it still doesn't seem to be up to expectations, get the pressure output of your LP regulator checked.

For Dometics they want 11" of mercury. In several cases I have read, as little as a 2" drop in pressure will, while still leaving the flame on, won't provide enough BTU's to run the cooling circuit.

The difference you saw between two different LP bottles sorta suggests a pressure problem.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Deryk, you may want to check to see if your fridge is on the Norcold Recall list of a couple of years ago. I know a few people here had fairly new 3 ways that were recalled.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If it still doesn't seem to be up to expectations, get the pressure output of your LP regulator checked.

For Dometics they want 11" of mercury. In several cases I have read, as little as a 2" drop in pressure will, while still leaving the flame on, won't provide enough BTU's to run the cooling circuit.

The difference you saw between two different LP bottles sorta suggests a pressure problem.
The gas pressure in my Scamp was only off by a little over 1" and the refrigerator would not go below 50 Deg F . Adjusted the regulator to the proper pressure , refrigerator temps dropped to the 30's
Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The gas pressure in my Scamp was only off by a little over 1" and the refrigerator would not go below 50 Deg F . Adjusted the regulator to the proper pressure , refrigerator temps dropped to the 30's
What brand/model regulator does your Scamp have, Steve, and how does one adjust it? I didn't know that such a thing as an adjustable regulator exists and would be most interested in acquiring one.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #20

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
What brand/model regulator does your Scamp have, Steve, and how does one adjust it? I didn't know that such a thing as an adjustable regulator exists and would be most interested in acquiring one.
I sold my 1999 Scamp last year so no way to tell you what model regulator I had ,but it was the factory regulator for the dual tank system
If I remember correctly there was a removable cover on the regulator with an adjustment screw under the cover . Talking to the previous owner he had dropped the gas pressure because he thought the cook top flame was too high and he never ran the refrigerator on propane so he did not realize the problem he had created
Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #21

California
I think most, if not all RV-LP regulators are adjustable.

As pointed out by Steven, the adjustment screw is under a threaded plastic cap. However, it should only be adjusted using a Manometer a device designed for measuring gas pressure, connected to the test port on the regulator, and with your appliances all ON..

The standard for LP gas seems to be 11" of water (not mercury) There is a simple manometer on Yahoo for less than $10 and lots of instructions on how to do it on Google.

The several suggestions to "Just turn it up" may not be safe with some appliances.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #22

None
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;459383]I think most, if not all RV-LP regulators are adjustable.

As pointed out by Steven, the adjustment screw is under a threaded plastic cap. However, it should only be adjusted using a Manometer a device designed for measuring gas pressure, connected to the test port on the regulator, and with your appliances all ON..

The standard for LP gas seems to be 11" of water (not mercury) There is a simple manometer on Yahoo for less than $10 and lots of instructions on how to do it on Google.

The several suggestions to "Just turn it up" not be safe with some a

My regulator was set to 11 WC" using ,a gauge .I did NOT just turn the screw and make an uneducated guess .I hope no one got that false lmpression from my post .Thank you Bob for pointing out the proper procedure for setting the pressure regulator
Old 05-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #23

California
I only made the comment because some of the answers you get if you Google how to do the adjustment say just that, a bad idea....

And there are always those that think that just because something is adjustable that it needs adjustment.

In short, don't do it without the correct tools .....
Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When i got my Scamp from its previous owner I had this issue too. My frige is a dometic so not the same as yours but after chasing the fuel to no avail it ended up being a partial blockage from the smallest spider web you ever seen. A vacuum wouldnt clean it out you have to remove the burner cover and remove the burner to get to the outside of the fuel orifice which has a hole in it smaller than a human hair. There was a small silk like caccoon over this area about the size of a match head. You have to get in there and wipe it out. Frustrating to get to and more frustrating to put back together if you don't take the frige out. Took me 4 hours for a 1 second wipe with a Q-tip. Fridge and burner worked well after that.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Thanks for the info re. adjusting regulators, folks...one more question hoping O.P. Deryk doesn't mind:

"High pressure" outdoor appliances such as gas grills operate at around 16"WC...is the standard RV regulator capable of adjustment that high, or is the range narrower, and just for fine tuning of standard 11"WC RV pressure?

thanks!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think most, if not all RV-LP regulators are adjustable.

Yup - they need to be. Anytime you take your trailer in to have the propane lines checked they will check the pressure and adjust it as necessary to meet the demand of your appliances.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #27

Name: Joel
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Hey Deryk, old trick to see the flame in daytime is to look through a paper towel tube.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #28

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Interesting idea.... It makes sense... Thanks Joel!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, parkliner