Norcold 3way fridge in my ParkLiner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #41

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
It seems like a good idea to at least do an inspection. There are screens you can get to keep the bugs out. I have debating using these.

My plan is to add a fan for the summer and see if I can improve the insulation. But this is a low priority as mine is working well.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #42

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
It's not the vent size per se, but the free air space in the vent. What I did was measure the vents themselves, measuring perpendicular to the vent 'blade' to the adjacent blade, multiplied that times length of the vent opening and then times the number of openings.

There were just not enough openings in the existing bottom vent and they were too close together. On this last it was more a matter of the angle of the blades not providing enough free air space

Actually, before buying a replacement insert for the door, I ran the unit for a couple of days with the lower door open and got excellent results. So, if you think ventilation is the problem, I would try this first.

I then went to Lowe's and Home Depot with ruler and calculator and found a vent that would restrict the vent the least, getting as close as I could to the free air space of the upper vent and still providing adequate protection from weather.

So far so good.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #43

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well I checked the temp when I got home from work at 8:45 pm and it was 40' in the fridge (80' outside temp)so I would say its a Success! So had it on a lower setting on the knob... but I'm happy with the results...guess this is now annual maintenance.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #44

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Glad it worked out for you Deryk.

And Clif, I'll have to study mine some more. I already cleaned it this year. It is working great so far.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #45

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well the new vent is installed. I still need to order a set of keyed alike cam locks...want at least the 2 for the fridge the same. a 3rd for the umbilical cord would be nice too.

I spent several hours bending aluminum to modify/recreate the baffle to direct the heat and exhaust outside. I did have to tuck some fiberglass insulation in there because I now understand why the vent was as small as it was with the galley kinda in the way. But the new hole is larger and I ran the fridge for 48 hours, didn't set off the CO alarm and no more smell of unburned propane, and I got about a 40' difference in outside air to inside fridge at coldest setting....so real happy with that in a near empty fridge. I did contemplate adding a 12 volt fan to help direct the heat out but seems to be working well now.
Attached Thumbnails
0620141412.jpg   0620141432.jpg  

0620141447.jpg   0620141447a.jpg  

0620141448.jpg   0620141713.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, parkliner