Not cold when using gas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
It worked for three days - how much gas is left in the bottle? I wouldn't bother turning it upside down. That's a trick to unblock the condenser coils and get the ammonia flowing more freely, which wouldn't be the problem if it works on electricity.

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Like others have said if it works on elec. no need to take out and turn upside down. I would get another gas regulator and see if that is your problem. How does your stove work on lp ? I suppose you could take your regulator to an RV place and have them check it out too.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #23

Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Like others have said if it works on elec. no need to take out and turn upside down. I would get another gas regulator and see if that is your problem. How does your stove work on lp ? I suppose you could take your regulator to an RV place and have them check it out too.
My stove works fine..which I suppose rules out the regulator. I'm thinking that maybe my issue is that the orifice needs a good cleaning. I'll start there and see if I can get some help blowing out the lines and will report back.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
The stove will burn at any pressure , if our pressure is not enough the flame is not hot enough. Can you boil water with a match? You have to bring the cooling solution to a boil. If you have not cleaned your orfice, I would start there. L.P. Pressure should be checked, they also do a leak test at the same time, to let you know if your system is safe.

If there is no problem only a adjustment should be about 1 hr

Money well spend, you will sleep better too.
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #25

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Whipping a dead horse ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
I am with you Donna, will let it cool of and let sit upside down for a day. Yes what do I have to loose. But the price of a new one is a lot. I am retired so maybe I will pull every few months and do it again.
Hi,
I suggest you have a look at Absorption refrigerator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to understand the basics of absorption principle used in LP gas refrigerators.

If it is working fine under 110V, playing shake and bake is useless. The use of reversing the fridge is mainly to disloge ammonia gas crystals that may obstruct the free circulation of gas in the cooling unit. Presence of ammonia crystals is an indication that the solution of water, ammonia and hydrogen has deteriorated over time or (likely) from overheating (if not leveled properly). No matter how hard you will shake or reverse it, you can't regenerate what's lost. You can only try to use what's left of cooling power.

I found that using a 12 volts computer fan to force vertical air circulation on the outside vents of the fridge helps to maintain acceptable fridge operation , but for me, it did not work on very hot days with my old 1977 Dometic 211, so I installed another fridge. There was no use to whip a dead horse in my case. You may be more lucky.

Since Gas operation is the problem, not the cooling unit operation, the first thing to do is to clean up all dust and obstructions, especially between the jet and the pilot. Next, I strongly suggest you replace the jet (accessible when you clean up the pilot burner) and the two stage gas regulator if it is more than 5 years old. They are inexpensive parts, easy to find. The whole cleaning procedure is explained in many service manuals you can find in the document center. Any spider nest or debris that obstructs the propane jet can cause a misfire and potentially some injuries to anybody who tries to light the pilot. I had a RM2193 for five years and I must have replaced the jets twice and cleaned up the pilot for spider stuff at least twice every year.

Good luck !