Not sure if I should buy this trailer... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A new 12VDC compressor fridge is not a bad idea. They are available in small sizes, they don't take too much power and they are easy to operate.

I would however like to address some of the points in Martin's post. Parts for an RM211 may not be available in stores, but on this site I have seen multiple people offering parts, including me.
From the parts section of this site:
Dometic 211 - parts for sale
Referral - RV Fridge and Stove Top
Free Dometic 211 three-way fridge in Toronto

Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #30

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
A new 12VDC compressor fridge is not a bad idea. They are available in small sizes, they don't take too much power and they are easy to operate.

I would however like to address some of the points in Martin's post. Parts for an RM211 may not be available in stores, but on this site I have seen multiple people offering parts, including me...(...)
Hi David, I beleive that for someone that has no fridge, paying for RM211 shipping and installation is very risky. RM211 is very old... obsolete in many ways and discontinued for ages which makes some critical spare parts very hard to find. I gave away mine for whatever parts that could be salvaged. Chances are very slim to find one available locally in perfect condition or worth fixing.

That being said, I've listed the two models that are current and easy to find just about anywhere at discount or used, in good condition. SeansmomSandy mentionned that propane and camping without hookup (water and electricity) is unlikely. A 12V fridge with a compressor is common on sailboats. It is quicker to cool, but more expensive, power hungry and often noisy, as opposed to a 3 way fridge. Food for toughts.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Oh, I would never ship a fridge. Every one I have acquired was in driving range. A total of four, (including the one in Wedding Gift). I have the working unit in the the trailer, a hot swappable, (working) spare, and a bone yard unit for parts. The cooling circuit still works on the bone yard unit, so if one of mine dies, then I will just transfer all the missing parts from that one to the bone yard unit, and start looking for another one.
My 4500's have RM36E fridges. Much larger, and a bit less common. I do still have a working spare though. I got it at the local wreckers for $25. I have since seen another one there, but it was stripped for parts.
I am a recycler by nature. I think that is why I love my old Trilliums so much. Why buy a new trailer, when you can fix up an old one as good as new, for half the price. The fact that there are no moving parts in an absorption fridge helps them last a long time. Since they are easily available, and cheep, to free. I don't see any reason to spend $800 to $1000 on a new one. I also like that the old fridges don't require any electrical power when running on propane, unlike today's 3-way fridges.
I plan on putting a 12VDC / 120VAC fridge in the Cantaloupe. I want to preserve the road side logo.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #32

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Well, it's official. We got the Dolpin home and plated.
Yesterday I took it over to my RV guru and we decided the best course of action is for them to do a sort of PDI. They will check it from nose to tail and let me know what needs to be done. Then I can decide what I want them to do and what I am comfortable doing myself. They are really busy so it could take a few weeks. Waiting will be tough, but I don't really NEED the trailer and I couldn't be pushy just 'cause I am curious. When I get it home I will start a thread in the Mods and Alterations section. In the meantime I will just be lurking in the forums, reading up on all the stuff I can do and buying supplies to make her shine. Thanks so much to everyone for the great advice.
Sandy (doing a happy dance)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #33

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Good for you Sandy! Now, calm down, things will come along. Best of luck!

Frank
Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #34

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Calm, me? Never!! Typical type A. A little high strung I am looking forward to doing, but in the meantime I will plan and make lists... It's what I do so well.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The trailer doesn't need to be perfect, just perfect for you. Start with making certain it's safe to go down the road (you're sharing the highways with others), then the critical item(s), then the nice to haves... one thing at a time and it's much easier on your budget!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #36

Ottawa, ON
Registry
I agree Donna. That's why I figured a good inspection by the pros would be best. Safety first since my passengers are precious. Now we need to decide on a name.....
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #37

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeansmomSandy View Post
Calm, me? Never!! Typical type A. A little high strung I am looking forward to doing, but in the meantime I will plan and make lists... It's what I do so well.
I'm Type A too Sandy, and have to wait till next year to even go look! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh well, good things come in time...

Frank
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #38

Ottawa, ON
Registry
In the meantime you can make lists. LOL
Old 07-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #39

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
(...) I am a recycler by nature. (...) The fact that there are no moving parts in an absorption fridge helps them last a long time. Since they are easily available, and cheep, to free. I don't see any reason to spend $800 to $1000 on a new one. I also like that the old fridges don't require any electrical power when running on propane, unlike today's 3-way fridges.(...)
Hi David,
I totally agree with your philosophy and conclusions. The more knowledgeable we get at recycling, the more we can save... and have fun for cheap! This is one of the reasons that forum is great for.

I just want to reassure Sandy about the fact both current models I mentionned are totally independent from electrical power with working out of propane, even if it means more temperature monitoring than working under electricity with a Norcold (the most convenient option).

I paid only half the cost for a used Norcold fridge that was sold to me by an RV dealer with a warranty. I just did not want to invest time to spend time to adapt the opening for a defective fridge. As you pointed out, once we invest into used equipment, we must plan for a source of spare parts or working spare unit. It requires space and knowledge not everyone has. I'm glad you have both.

Best of luck for Sandy's new adventure !