Not sure if I should buy this trailer... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Dolphin 15 ft
Ottawa, ON
Registry
Not sure if I should buy this trailer...

Hi,
I have an opportunity to buy a trailer - 14' 1981 Dolphin. The owner has sent pics and I am going to see it in person tomorrow. There is no fridge and the furnace has been removed but comes with it. The frame has been soldered. She not sure why it was soldered or exactly where but she has the inspection certificate from the provincial government saying it is safe.
I have tried to attached 10 of the pics that she sent and I'm hoping it works.
Should I look for anything specific? I know to look for water damage and rusty frame and such, but FG is new to me. Thanks so much for all of the wisdom that I am sure you will provide for this hopeful newbie.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo inside 1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	61656

Name:	photo inside 2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	61657

Name:	photo inside 3.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	61658

Name:	photo inside 5.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	61659

Name:	photo inside 6.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	61660

Name:	photo inside 7.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	61661

Name:	photo inside 8.JPG
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	61662

Name:	photo outside 1.JPG
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	61663

Name:	photo outside 2.JPG
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	61664

Name:	photo outside 4.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	61665
SeansmomSandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
It's a personal choice, however, for me, a fridge and a furnace are two essential things I look for in a trailer.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

Ottawa, ON
Registry
I was thinking of replacing them, in time (no huge rush) and maybe reconfiguring a bit. Or would that be a bad idea?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Sandy, at least from the pics it doesn't look too bad, but soldering is for electrical stuff, welding is for frame repair or improvement. You will not have any fun at all if the frame is iffy to begin with. Anybody that is handy with steel and such that can go with you to take a look?

And yes, all sort of stuff can be done with any trailer as long as it is sound. New furnace, frig, A/C, electrical entrance, etc., it's just a money and time thing!

Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #5

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Sorry, that was my French coming out. The french word for weld is "souder" so I put soldered when I meant welded. The welds have been inspected by the provincial gov't for safety. Based on a few things that I have read in these forums I will check near the front to see if they are plates welded on to the hitch frame where it meats the trailer frame...
Anythign else that I should look for?
Thanks so much for the advice I really appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
The price might be a factor
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeansmomSandy View Post
Sorry, that was my French coming out. The french word for weld is "souder" so I put soldered when I meant welded. The welds have been inspected by the provincial gov't for safety. Based on a few things that I have read in these forums I will check near the front to see if they are plates welded on to the hitch frame where it meats the trailer frame...
Anythign else that I should look for?
Thanks so much for the advice I really appreciate it.
Sounds to me like you have a good handle on it Sandy. "Your French coming out" eh? That's a good one. Many years ago I was conversant in French, but that's a long time ago. All my ancestors are from SE Ontario (SDG), and though all English & Scottish, we learned French in school.

Good luck!

Frank
Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #8

Ottawa, ON
Registry
She's asking $2700, but I want to try and get it for less. $2000 if I can get her that low. What do you think? I don't want to get taken, but the pics look pretty good.
I know that a buying a fridge and getting it installed and having the furnace reinstalled will probably run between $1500 and $2000, since I am not knowledgeable and will have to have it done by pros.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #9

New York
Just for comparison sake Sandy, we bought an '83 Sunline T-1550 a year ago this past spring for 1700USD. The original 3 way frig was gone, replaced with a cheap electric one, the hot water heater didn't work and had to be replaced (new ones are a lot better than the old ones!), the 7 pin wiring had been reduced to 4, the brakes didn't work, the power entrance was screwy, and this year I had to replace a bunch of wood framing around the rear window resulting from leaks around the window. I replaced the power entrance, put a new 30 amp entrance in, installed roof mount A/C, rewired the trailer for a 7 pin rv connector and got the brakes working. I also coated the frame with POR-15 to prevent further rust.

Again, as long as the frame is good, lots of renovation can be done over time as you get cash. If the frame is good, 2 grand would be a braggin rights deal.

Next trailer we buy I hope is a fiberglass one I can just polish and go...

Good luck!

Frank
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
That's a good price if there are no frame issues even without the fridge and furnace, if it looks as good in person as it does in the pics.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #11

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Many years ago I was conversant in French, but that's a long time ago. All my ancestors are from SE Ontario (SDG), and though all English & Scottish, we learned French in school.

Good luck!

Frank
We are in Ottawa, but I was born and raised in montreal, French is my first language so it tends to come out once in a while .
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #12

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Ok, so check the window frames carefully, check the frame for rust and/or cracks, check fibregalss for cracks, check that roof has right "shape". If I can I"ll try and check the wood in the corners of the floor inside.
I am pretty sure most of the wiring and propane/plumbing may need work.
Anything else that you would consider a deal breaker?
Thank you so such, you are all so kind and helpful.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sandy, download, print and take with you the Buyers Check List. It will help you remember the things to check. All items, as far as condition, is subjective and whatever YOU think the condition may be.

I agree with Frank. $2,000 would give you lots of braggin rights! But, you'll know if the trailer sings to your heart. It may even be worth full price to you. Only you can determine that. But, looking at the pics... it looks like a nice trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #14

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeansmomSandy View Post
She's asking $2700, but I want to try and get it for less. $2000 if I can get her that low. What do you think? I don't want to get taken, but the pics look pretty good.
I know that a buying a fridge and getting it installed and having the furnace reinstalled will probably run between $1500 and $2000, since I am not knowledgeable and will have to have it done by pros.
Bonjour ! (oups !)
I've installed a used fridge in mine for 450$. The furnace is more tricky, since it may have been taken out because a component was defective. Parts for used furnace are extremely hard and expensive to find, so consider it as dead weight (not contributing to the price you pay). You should at least check the power converter, since this is the next most expensive item to replace too. I'm assuming the stove is in good condition and can be tested. If not, it is another gambling (much easier to find parts and inexpensive replacement).

If the body of that trailer was aluminium over wood frame I would say, don't touch it, but with a solid fiberglass body, it is an interesting project. I suggest you bring a volt tester and something like a heavy screwdriver to gently tap (with the handle tip) all over checking for fiberglass and plywood integrity. Uneven sound might suggest voids, delamination and rot, especially around the windows. Check especially for traces of rust on screws and mildew on the inside around the windows, which might indicate water infiltration. Parts to repair the windows might not be easy to find, so make sure everything works. The door lock is sometimes hard to replace at an affordable cost, so pay special attention to current condition and make sure you have a key. Looks like you got a separate lock cylinder over a Bargman 400 door handle. Finding parts for that Bargman latch, handle are extremely rare and expensive.

Check for tire integrity (no cracks or excessive wear, for suspension and possibly electric brakes / electrical connectors condition.

Overall, if the shell look good, the interior is without leaks, 2000$ is a fair price to start, considering you will likely have to spend about as much for a fridge, furnace, possibly power converter, brakes, tires and electrical to repair or replace.

You may want to have a look at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-48267.html and http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-48272.html

Bonne chance !
Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

Ottawa, ON
Registry
What a great list. I just hope that I can find all the parts, I am such a newb! Oh My God! I have so much to learn. But it's going to be fun.
I have already learned so much especially no "sillycone" and post lost of pictures
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #16

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Thanks Martin! I will add your suggestions to my list. Great idea with the screw driver handle.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Sounds like a good price as long as there are no major defects that would cost you a bundle to repair. If you're not comfortable deciding that on your own, tell teh seller the purchase is subject to you having it inspected and having the right to cancel the purchase based on the outcome of the inspection. It may cost you some additional money up front, but it could save you $1000s and a lot of frustration in the long run.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #18

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Great idea! I'll see if I can line up an rv place close by for an inspection.
Thanks so much!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #19

Ottawa, ON
Registry
Donna D.... It sang to my heart. 60" wide bed which could also be 4 bunks. Front couch with top bunk. (yup it can sleep 6 if 4 are short ). Roof looks great, windows and screens are in great shape. A few minor hairline cracks at the top of the door and no more rust that expected on a 1981 frame, still solid. No mold, no moisture and no hollow sound when tapping with the screwdriver handle.
$2500 and I pick it up tomorrow.. Do I still get bragging rights?
Soon to be FG owner... YIPEEE!!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Brag away----you did great!!!!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote