I have the original scamp
converter that came with a 1997 Scamp 16'. I noticed that my stereo would sometimes shut down, I think because of high voltage. Then the battery charger quit. I went to the converter and found that there were some circuits that are 12 volts from the converter and others that are 12v from the battery. There is a schematic of sorts on the inside cover. I found that I was getting 17 volts to the 12v converter circuits. If I turned on a number of lights that were incandescent, the load would pull the voltage down to less than 15v. Checked the battery and there was no voltage change with or without shore power. I did a little online checking and found that there is a ballast resistor that often burns out in the converter in the battery charging circuit. The converter is shoe-horned in there and i wasn't to inclined to get my 67 year old body in there. I opted to take one of the converter circuits, run it to a ballast resistor, on to a toggle switch mounted in the small angled portion of the dinette seat storage area and on to the battery. as the battery comes up to voltage, the charging circuit with the ballast resistor will be about 14.2 v. I run my LEDs and the stereo on a fused battery circuit from the panel. All seems well after about 18 months and a few weeks of camping. I can check the level of the battery by switching the toggle switch in the evening and seeing how much brighter the light
becomes. It's not the way it came from the factory but it works well for me.
Lead acid batteries are quite forgiving of charging voltage as lon as you keep it below 14.5v and watch the water level. The warning cry is the smell of rotten eggs that comes from gas boiling off which is flammable.