Now what?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD
Washington
Now what?!

So I was checking out my water pump and all was well; then I lost power. Since I'm hooked up at my house, I know I have electricity. What do I do to ensure power to my pump?
dykim18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
If you mean that you ran the pump and it was working and then it stopped working then I'd suspect a blown fuse.

As has been said by others many times, for this sort of situation an inexpensive digital multi-meter is invaluable for trouble shooting. Check the circuit, terminal by terminal, and find out where you have power and where you don't. I have lab quality meters but for most use my $8 meter that I carry in the trailer works just fine.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Is your pump 12 volt? If so having house power only matters if you also have a converter that runs your 12 volt off of house power when plugged in.

Sudden loss of power makes me think fuse also, but I would also make sure you have interior 12 volt power sufficient to run the pump. As in the battery is not dead. Sometimes it's the little things that trip me up so I thought I would mention it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I agree with Ron and Roger. First check the fuse. Then a few measurements with a meter should locate problem. My pump has terminals for easy removal. A voltage measurement there will tell if it is the pump or the supply. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A good tool to own is a 12 volt test light. It has a pointy end that can temporarily stab into a wire and an alligator clip that goes to ground.

In this case, you could have stuck the pump wire with the pump turned on and verified power to the pump.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
How to use a multimetre
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post

Good resource. I guess I need a sharp end for my multimeter.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dykim18 View Post
So I was checking out my water pump and all was well; then I lost power. Since I'm hooked up at my house, I know I have electricity. What do I do to ensure power to my pump?
I feel compelled to ask, so I apologize ahead of time but...
Are you aware that the pump stops automaticly when it reaches full pressure? Did it quit with the tap open?
Also... Not sure if the Casita has a switch on the side of the cabinet but could you have accidently shut it off?
Manipulate the switch a couple of times to be sure, but maybe it needs a new switch?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Washington
Floyd,
I turned on the pump switch in front of the sink and let the water come out. Then the pump went silent. I turned on the switch again but no response. The faucets were check both in open and closed mode. There is water in the reserve tank. I am going to check if the pump is getting electricity with a meter. Really weird...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Washington
Oh, and the fuse is fine.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Sounds like you have multi-meter scavenger hunt in your future. They tend to be annoying as all get out but solvable by process of elimination.

Two things never seem to fail, if I start testing at one end the problem is at the other end, and it's always the last place I check..... of course I stop looking there since I found it.

Good luck. Let us all know what you find.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I agree, in the end it'll probably be the multi-meter that points to the problem.

I have one other trouble shooting weapon in my tool box. It's considered low brow by some but on occasion has worked for me. I use a rubber hammer or my fist or anything else handy to give items like water pumps with internal switches a whack. Sometimes switches can have contacts that aren't making good contact and a little whack will make them seat and start the device. Doesn't fix the problem but points out what the problem is. And if the small hammer doesn't work I use a bigger hammer

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #13

Washington
All that or nothing.... It turns out that the pump was fine after all. I didn't know that once the water pressure is at its max, the pump automatically turns off until I start using the water. Well, this rookie has just learned yet another lesson in RV maintenance. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
All that or nothing.... It turns out that the pump was fine after all. I didn't know that once the water pressure is at its max, the pump automatically turns off until I start using the water. Well, this rookie has just learned yet another lesson in RV maintenance. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I see Floyd was right again!!! Dont worry we have all been there done that and more often than not its Floyd who is the master of guessing the cause!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I see Floyd was right again!!! Dont worry we have all been there done that and more often than not its Floyd who is the master of guessing the cause!
That's because Floyd files so much stuff under "Lessons Learned."
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #16

Washington
Floyd is the Jedi master of RV repairs!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Floyd is the Jedi master of RV repairs!
Isnt that the truth!

Under the FAQ section there should be if there isnt already tips for best ways of trouble shooting - the instructions should read something like this:

1) Post your problem to Owners Helping Owners Section
2) Hope and pray Floyd answers
3) When he does respond follow through on all his suggestions no matter how sure you are that your problem could not possible be caused by what he suggests it may be!
4) The only time you may want to bother wasting your time exploring suggestions made by others first is if Floyd suggests the only solution to your problem is to buy a Ford

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Isnt that the truth!

Under the FAQ section there should be if there isnt already tips for best ways of trouble shooting - the instructions should read something like this:

1) Post your problem to Owners Helping Owners Section
2) Hope and pray Floyd answers
3) When he does respond follow through on all his suggestions no matter how sure you are that your problem could not possible be caused by what he suggests it may be!
4) The only time you may want to bother wasting your time exploring suggestions made by others first is if Floyd suggests the only solution to your problem is to buy a Ford

Or a scamp
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote