O.K., Here I go again with AWNINGS. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Just a warning for all you Canadians - USPS will not ship to Canada if the parcel size is larger than 4' so the awning is coming today UPS. I got hit for another $77 in duties/handling by them - in my case it probably would have been cheaper to get an awning from Escape in Chilliwack like Doug Mager did.

Booker

Quote:
Ok, just ordered a 8' Supreme Bag Awning from interwestsports.com for my 13' Trillium - Thanks Lenna for posting your Trillium picture to help with my decision.

It is a gray/black one like Mike bought (for reference is called 'Vulcan' gray and is a $30 extra cost due to not being a stock color and being a little heavier canvas). It was $337 Canadian out door - cost more for shipping to Canada of course. Though we have the beige trailer like Lennas our Trillium is slowly being accented with black instead of the orange she has - plus our TV is silver.

On a side note interwestsports.com has a note on their website stating that prices are increasing after today.

Will post pictures when we get it.

Booker

Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #30

Ok, just so this thread doesn't totally die out I will post a link to some pictures and review of the Interwest Sports awning:

wanted... awning

Old 08-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Surfside
I think over the winter this will be my next purchase. They all looks really good guys!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
On Booker's advice ( as well as being a Canadian and subject to import duties on all the 'good' stuff from the States) I ordered an awning through Reace and Tammy at Escape Trailers. We chose the 'Camel Fade' 8-ft bag awning; it should hopefully be available for pick-up sometime next week. Cost was $350 + tax.

Reace was amazingly responsive over email (on the weekend, even!), and Tammy has called twice already with updates on the order process. Can't wait to meet them, and hopefully see their shiny new trailers.

~Tim

Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
Just a warning for all you Canadians - USPS will not ship to Canada if the parcel size is larger than 4' so the awning is coming today UPS. I got hit for another $77 in duties/handling by them - in my case it probably would have been cheaper to get an awning from Escape in Chilliwack like Doug Mager did.

Booker
Hi Booker,
When I ordered my awning from Interwestsports my total cost to ship from them to me in Ontario was $214.00.This included the GST and PST I was charged on the purchase.They shipped USPS.There were no extra charges.I specificically asked them to ship via USPS and their email to me said that they always ship Canadian orders with USPS.My awning was a seven foot and I realize you ordered the eight foot,but I can not understand why they would have used ups to ship because of the extra foot. .
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #34

The owner actually called me when they were ready to ship and they were told that any parcel over 4ft could not be shipped USPS. InterwestSports just resells awnings from another company and they are shipped directly from that plant - it may be a policy with the awning manufacturer.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #35

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
The owner actually called me when they were ready to ship and they were told that any parcel over 4ft could not be shipped USPS. InterwestSports just resells awnings from another company and they are shipped directly from that plant - it may be a policy with the awning manufacturer.

Hi Booker,
I am sure that is what happened. Your awning is a Supreme 8foot, mine is a Classic 7 ft. I imagine they come from a different MFG,and the MFG decides how it will be shipped..... Just wanted to let you know that we purchased a BAL Chock/Leveler after reading how much you liked yours. It is absolutely the best purchase we have made for our Boler. Leveling could not be easier. No more adding blocks, one two low , two to high .....Thanks for all your informative posts.... Pat.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #36

I am glad the BAL Leveler worked for you Pat - the only issue I have with it is where to put it! I am going to try and see if I can fit a bracket in behind the propane tank to hold it. This thread was great for helping me decide on my awning and I am very happy with my purchase.

I really try to be as informative as others (like Peter H., Daniel V., Doug Mager etc.. ) have been so helpful to me with their posts. I don't have a lot to do on the trailer now, just replace the broken utility hatch covers and restore the gel coat - I am hoping to find a Trillium 4500 to work on next spring (my kids would love to have wider bunks)
Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #37

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Can these awnings be lowered on one end to help with water draining off easily? I am considering a bag awning for my Casita trailer. In all the photos that I have seen with the awnings set up, they are not lowered on one end. The awnings look great and are an affordable alternative to the pricey ones that Casita's come with if that option is paid for.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #38

Yes, the legs can be independently set for height which is handy because we were camping on some pretty rolling ground on our last trip.

The only issue with the legs is it would be nice if they were longer for the few times you are sideways to a slope. When that happens the awning rails will interfere if you try to open the door all the way.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #39

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
NOTE:
To help offset that rubbing door issue, RAISE the awning leg (slightly) that is on the open side of your door (open door, raise leg and swing door ...trial and error!) THEN lower the awning leg on the opposite side of the awning to the desired angle.

NOW ....here's a l'il bonus Reace talked me into buying that I thought (at the time) was a waste but we find we use it every time we open up the awning. There is available an OPTIONAL center support rod (adjustable) which one places into the outter edge rail and rests on the inside of the bag awning on the roof. This is added from underneath. What this extra support does is to give the fabric more support where it needs it must in the rain. It helps ease the stress on the fabric and also helps a l'il bit to direct the flow of water to the sides on the open awning. (....also gives you an extra 'towel drying rack', looks ugly with clutter on it, but it works!!)

A word of caution here people, Rease had fiberglassed a small block of plywood to the body side (from the inside) where the awning support bracket would attach to the body. These blocks were added to give the attachment screws (for the support brackets) something more to bite into. IF you were doing this add on project yourself, it would pay you to do something similar to avoid screws backing out of the fiberglass body. We find that we almost NEVER use these brackets as their use invites ME to be walking into them on a regular basis. We choose instead to use the awning legs in the vertical position. Yes, you still need to walk around them but for some reason does not see so obtrusive.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #40

The awning we purchased from Interwest sports also has the optional center rail. I did not purchase it but I can see how helpful it would be after a few hard rains while camping (rain on the BC coast, who would have thought).

When we go to bed at night and I fear there will a lot of rain I did drop the one leg to help the rain flow.

The awning also had the optional body blocks but since I had planned to have our camping stove/sink setup on one side of the trailer it would interfere with that. I could totally see myself walking into the leg when stumbling around making coffee in the morning =)
Old 08-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
I picked up our Carefree of Colorado awning from Escape in Chilliwack yesterday (8' bag awning). Fits like a dream. With the awning in its bag attached to the factory-installed rail, the door opens and closes freely. In fact, the awning sits pretty much perfectly, just high enough to allow the needed clearance.

I currently have the trailer about 3' off the ground (some serious sanding going on!) though, so haven't yet unfurled it. Pictures will follow soon.

~Tim