OBD device. - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
OBD device.

A couple of years ago there was a device which was all the rage, which could divulge all sorts of information when attached to the OBD port on your TV.
what was the name of the most popular device?

I'm looking for a simple non invasive way to monitor transmission temperature.
Yeah...I finally got forced into buying an automatic.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
obd ii scanner

EDIT: They are very handy. Mine has built in bluetooth to communicate with an app on my cell phone.

EDIT2: Mine is a "BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices" bought on amazon for $20.

John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
From what I read, if your vehicle puts transmission temperature on the OBD network, the OBD II scanner can read it.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I use the torque app with a cheap bluetooth reader I got on eBay.

First: note that these Bluetooth adapters, often Chinese copies, don't always work, esp with the Toque app. I might have been lucky but so far mine has work fine.

Second, note that Toyota is damn secretive OBDII data, and since I have a Toyota I had to resort to using a custom data point based on sensor and programming information I got on the ever reliable Internet.

But it does seem that the info I found is apparently reliable. The tranny temp readout that I get does track what I would expect. And BTW, that is on two different Toyota vehicles. Vehicles from other manufacturers apparently have better documented sensors and OBDII data, so the Torque app is more reliable. Like they say, YMMV.

For info on the Torque app.. start with the Wiki.

PS. Condolences on your purchase of an automatic.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm looking for a simple non invasive way to monitor transmission temperature.
Yeah...I finally got forced into buying an automatic.
Floyd,

Do you think you could just drop some large bearings into the trannie to lock up the torque converter? It would be sort of like the mechanical equivalent of a bypass contactor in a soft starter panel.

I saw an older thread with some recent posts on the Escape forum last night. Maybe there's something helpful there...

Using a ScanGauge to monitor towing performance? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #6

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Floyd,

Do you think you could just drop some large bearings into the trannie to lock up the torque converter? It would be sort of like the mechanical equivalent of a bypass contactor in a soft starter panel.

I saw an older thread with some recent posts on the Escape forum last night. Maybe there's something helpful there...

Using a ScanGauge to monitor towing performance? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
I would't have the "bearings" to try something like that even if I wanted to!

Thanks for the link that was exactly the thing I was thinking of...and wanted to "scan"
Old 07-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I would't have the "bearings" to try something like that even if I wanted to!
Oh, yeah - I expect you're not talking roller bearings there.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Scangauge was the one that folks used, until the cheap and free appa came out. Oh, there is or was another brand, Ultragauge IIRC.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:28 AM   #9
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Before you buy make sure the information you seek is available. I too wanted to monitor transmission temperature and while my transmission apparently has a temp sensor, Scangauge can not read it.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Before you buy make sure the information you seek is available. I too wanted to monitor transmission temperature and while my transmission apparently has a temp sensor, Scangauge can not read it.
Check any forums for your vehicle. Scangauge didn't include the settings for my RAV4, but I found them at the RAV4 forum & entered them using the manual. Same with my 2016 Tacoma.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
I have a Scangauge in both my vehicles. They work nicely.
In my '06 Highlander I can get the transmission temp. I found the codes to read it somewhere on the web.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #12

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I have a Scangauge in both my vehicles. They work nicely.
In my '06 Highlander I can get the transmission temp. I found the codes to read it somewhere on the web.
The new tow has access to everything the Scanguage does right on the dash screen...EXCEPT trans temp! Wouldn't you know it!
I'll give it some thought, which means I'll probably never do anything about it.
I have a laser temp gun so I'll just pick a spot on the tranny and check it when I stop for gas.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #13
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Transmission dip stick?

My first auto I was concerned. At 30k I did a dump and fill. The fluid looked new. That's after several trips over the Rockies. About to do my second dump and fill. If the fluid looks good I probably won't worry about it even if a method becomes available.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Years ago I had a Nissan minivan to pull our popup. It was during when the Dodge & Chrysler minivans has systemic transmissions issues. My Nissan drivetrain was totally different but that got me worried. So I installed a temp gauge in the transmission aux cooler fluid line. I used a T brass manifold and appropriate fittings to mount the sensor. The gauge itself was a mechanical unit, sold for engine temp (coolant).

This worked perfectly. I nice thing was just by looking at the gauge I could tell if the torque converter was locked or not. ATF temps varied wildly between locked and unlocked (pan temps are much more stable).

In the end, I found that the transmission temps were not that high most of the time (I had an aux cooler). But the gauge was nice to have. Also, city driving (stop and go) is as worst for ATF temps that going uphill. And when climbing a steep and long grade, ATF temp will rise no matter what size an aux cooler you have. A larger cooler will simply lower the temps faster before the next grade.

Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote