Offering less $$ for a brand new Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Offering less $$ for a brand new Scamp?

Has anyone here purchased a new Scamp from the factory and made them an offer lower than the original quote? If so, how'd that go?
Thank you.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Since there is usually a waiting list for new Scamps I cant imagine them taking less. Hopefully somebody else will weigh in though.

Melissa
Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Since there is usually a waiting list for new Scamps I cant imagine them taking less. Hopefully somebody else will weigh in though.

Melissa
I have a profound reputation for being the very best at buying cars and light trucks... I have bargained successfully for many items at Walmart ....

I paid the asking price with the standard discounts for my Scamp.

The only place I made progress with them is that they are always willing to do minor custom mods while building. These people are great in customer service but stubborn with any attempt to negotiate price.

There are no dealers for Scamp, if there were, there would be lots of room to negotiate from a much higher retail.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
lol when you have people willing to drive all the way to backus minnisota to pick up their camper,,,, you sort of have a lock on price.

and quite frankly for my standard13 footer, air, furnace awning, and a bunch of other stuff added jst the way i want for about 11,500. i can't imagine they have that much space to barter.

they have some units ready , or at least when i called for under ten.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
I got them to shave a few hundred off back in October 2011, but that was at the very end of the season...

And I customized with 2 extra interior outlets and several extra interior lights; but all those were at very reasonable prices I thought prior to the discount.

At most you might be in the $100 to $200 range.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another idea may be buying used from the factory. I have a 98 that was bought used from the factory in 2007. I believe the buyer at that time had them do some mods.
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Wonder how often used ones come up at the factory? You'd think they'd post them either on their website or their Facebook page so folks would know.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Melissa, it could be they sell so fast it's not worth the effort to take pictures and advertise? If I was interested in buying used from the factory, I would call and ask if they'd take my information and tell them specifically what I'm interested in. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I actually called to get some info on mine but it was pre-fire so the records are lost. They indicated that it was a rare and random event to have a used one at the factory. Thankfully the previous owner found all of the paperwork.
Henry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
One day I stumbled across an ad for a small, egg shaped, fiberglass trailer called a Scamp. I found its website on the internet and learned a little about this trailer that I had never seen. Here is what I learned:

Scamps are made in Backus (SP) Minnesota. If you want one new you have to buy it from the factory, they have no dealers. It comes in three sizes, 13 feet, 16 feet and 19 feet. They are comparatively light and my current vehicle, a Jeep Liberty, had ample capacity to tow either of the smaller units.

In early April I decided to talk to the sale manager at the factory and after 20 minutes decided that I wanted the 13 foot Deluxe model. But when I asked how soon I could pick it up, he informed me that the current waiting time was 4 months. That meant I’d lose another summer camping so I said I’d have to think about it.

Two weeks later, they called and said they’d had a cancellation. I asked how long I had to make up my mind. He said until our conversation ended. I told him I’d take it.

Twenty minutes later I called him back to ask the question I had forgotten to ask. “How much will cost me?” He told me, I said fine.

I didn't even think about asking for a discount.

Two weeks later I drove across the northern states and picked up my new 13’ Scamp.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
My first thought is, Why should they? But you never know, still doubt it but always worth a try. But don't set your dreams on getting a deal. And honestly until the day comes that orders for new come to a slow stream or even halt they have the upper hand.

Personally for my experience with Casita, anything I have ordered from them is at rock bottom prices compared to local rv dealers and parts supplier's. So I haven't asked for a deal. Example, I cracked my Hot Water heater tank, called several local dealerships, camping world, rv parts suppliers and Casita looking for a new hot water heater. If I remember right, it was almost a $80 dollars cheaper from Casita and that is with shipping right to my home. It was here within days. So I too wonder if they have much room to cut deals? Hard to say.........
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #12

Wisconsin
I'm guessing time of year has everything to do with it.

When we picked up ours in late October, 2011 they did have a row of I'd guess ten 13 footers lined up in front of the sales office. Those were "ready to go" - as in not sold yet.

I had to wait about a month because we didn't want the AC and wanted the extra vent in the roof. The spare inventory and end of season is probably the only reason they were willing to come down a bit for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #13

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Don't forget you can always be patient and hope for a little luck and maybe find a used one sitting in a farmers field, mistreated, lonely, and hoping for a new owner. They come fresh with new farm smell, mold, rodents, and usually about a years worth of hard work to get on the road but you can pick them up for less then $1000 as long as the farmer hasn't been keeping up to date on fiberglassrv.com on current prices. Yeah...okay I know...probably not the best scenario for a lot of people but some of us are crazy like that.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #14

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
they do get the rare used one,,,or a listing of one someone has that wants to sell it , usually because they want a new one.

and they are happy to let you know when they have one. after all,,,every scamp out there is a great advertisement for them.

when i was there a couple weeks ago they had a 1973 in to have a new interior put in it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Depends a lot on what features you want. Scamp only makes ~325 trailers total across all models a year. We wanted a 13' with the bathroom and those were only an option after the Scamp factory fire in 2006 when they raised the interior height several inches.

In our hunt, we quickly realized that folks that have bought a post-2006 13' scamp with a bathroom were plenty happy with their purchase and we could easily end up waiting years for a used one.

They hold their value so strong compared to your run-of-the-mill travel trailer that we felt confident just buying new knowing we could resell it down the road if we wanted and not be out that much.

Sort of frame the picture as "renting" it for 5+ years, but with the freedom to modify it.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Depends a lot on what features you want. Scamp only makes ~325 trailers total across all models a year. We wanted a 13' with the bathroom and those were only an option after the Scamp factory fire in 2006 when they raised the interior height several inches.
Ah sorry, that's not true. Floyd has a 13' Scamp w/ factory bathroom and his is a prefire Scamp. I think RonMayo's 13' Scamp with bath was prefire too.... his is a 2005.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

I thought Scamp was up to over 700 units a year now????
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Floyd has a 13' Scamp w/ factory bathroom and his is a prefire Scamp. I think RonMayo's 13' Scamp with bath was prefire too.... his is a 2005.
Both of those units are Custom Deluxe wood interiors, which you needed to order if you wanted a shower. You could only get a "toilet only" bathroom in a Standard interior pre-fire. But now I think you can get a Standard interior that has a full bath with shower post fire?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I was at the Casita factory last week and they had some marked down around $3000 or so. They had finished units for sale. No wait.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #20

Wisconsin
My info was just from what they told me during the factory tour at pick-up.

I should have been more specific in 13' with bathroom _and_ shower I guess (I never thought previously they separated those two).

The guy giving the tour made a point that until they raised the height a few inches, they couldn't accomodate one of the tanks or something prior to 2006. Maybe that's just what someone told him at some point?

Regardless the main point is - consider how many possible models of what you want are in the real world out there. The total inventory might be smaller than you think.

Tags
scamp