Oh No! It leaks! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #15

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Okey dokey Freddie - I have the butyl tape. Now, pulling back the ensolite - isn't the wood in the inside part of the metal frame, the part inside the trailer? Also, dumb newbie question - the flange - what is that? Is it just the opening? Okay, you can stop laughing now. In future, if you need a giggle, picture me actually doing this. Thank you so much for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie b View Post
Pull the window and clean off all the old butyl.

Peel the Ensolite back just enough to see if the wood is rotten. If it is, or if the screw holes are too loose, it is not a big deal to replace the wood if you can get it cut by someone from a sample.

Stick the butyl tape around on the window flange, overlapping on the corners, then screw it all back together using SS #8 screws.

Trim off the butyl squeeze out with something like a plastic knife that won't cut into the fibreglass. You might have to do this a couple of times as it may continue to ooze a bit.

The plastic screw cover trim is readily available in 6 ft lengths.

Remember, no guts no glory
Fred

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #16

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I just found out my play pac window leaks also. I am hoping it is because the outside trim , caulk, whatever, is missing. The stuff that seals the window into the window frame. I will be following this thread closely!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Just another question to throw out there guys - Does anyone have a link, or video, i.e utube - showing the window reseal? I'm pretty sure I've got it down, but would feel so much more confident seeing it done first. Thanks again. I don't know if I will have the ability to video my first window, but will try to do it for the next.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #18

Name: Fred
Trailer: 78 Trillium 1300
Ontario
The wood is inside the trailer behind the ensolite. The fibreglass of the trailer is sandwiched between the window frame and the wood, which is what actually holds the window in.

The flange is the flat part of the aluminum window frame where the screws go through into the wood.

On the front you will also have to remove the rock guard to access the top row of screws.

Nobody is laughing, we've all been there. Keep us posted.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Thank you Freddie - starting off small. Got under the storage bench and found out the new LED lights were not sealed. Can see quite easily where some water is getting in. Also, the little @#$! didn't fill in the old holes properly, looks like he just filled it with bondo and painted over. I literally pushed the little patch right out. As a quick fix for that I'm just going to fill with RV sealant. Not at the fiberglass patching stage yet. So I'll seal the lights with butyl tape first and then tackle "a" window. I'm going to double check them all one by one with the hose (ever so lightly) just to make sure I'm not fixing it if it ain't broke. I know they probably all need redoing eventually, but time and money are not on my side. Courage is also diminishing as I head out with my handy dandy screwdriver!
Quote:
The wood is inside the trailer behind the ensolite. The fibreglass of the trailer is sandwiched between the window frame and the wood, which is what actually holds the window in.

The flange is the flat part of the aluminum window frame where the screws go through into the wood.

On the front you will also have to remove the rock guard to access the top row of screws.

Nobody is laughing, we've all been there. Keep us posted.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
ok, so that didn't go very well. Can't get the light off. Something my electrician husband will have to do. Once I was in there it looked like they had put butyl in with the screws so the search continues. Took the trim off the little window above the stove. Once I got over the 20 or so little spiders that came out of a little egg sack (eek!) I saw that the two side of the window are riveted while the top and bottom are screws. Definately rusted in the corner and loose so water in there for sure. How do I remove the rivets and once done can I just replace them with screws? Also, the inside of this window does not have the frame on the inside. ????????? suggestions?,
Old 08-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #21

Alberta
Registry
Success!!!The window is out, unfortunately the wood is rotten and wet. I could actually see water sitting and am drying it out as we speak. I might have hit paydirt with this one window as the water seems to have been running along the back of the kitchen on both sides, running down the trim track and out onto the benches. Hopefully this one window replacement will take care of my leaks. I'm not going to hold my breath. I also found out the paint job was cheaper than I thought....they didn't even take the windows off! My Lil Darlin' was originally cream colored. I'll post my pics, yes, I did take some. The rivets were on the sides and I drilled them out, no wood on the sides. Should there have been? I am going to put some there anyhow when I replace the other pieces as I have to put the window back in place with screws - #8 SS screws. Whew!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #22

Alberta
Registry
Fred, my old screw cover is shaped like a short "u" with a channel on the bottom. I've been to two different places and all they have is trim shaped like the short "u" but no channel. Is this the stuff you meant or should I keep looking? Thanks again.
Quote:
Pull the window and clean off all the old butyl.

Peel the Ensolite back just enough to see if the wood is rotten. If it is, or if the screw holes are too loose, it is not a big deal to replace the wood if you can get it cut by someone from a sample.

Stick the butyl tape around on the window flange, overlapping on the corners, then screw it all back together using SS #8 screws.

Trim off the butyl squeeze out with something like a plastic knife that won't cut into the fibreglass. You might have to do this a couple of times as it may continue to ooze a bit.

The plastic screw cover trim is readily available in 6 ft lengths.

Remember, no guts no glory
Fred
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #23

Name: Fred
Trailer: 78 Trillium 1300
Ontario
lhanna,
So it looks like you may be replacing some/all of the wood, not unusual. Half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and someone to slice it up for you will do will be more than enough.

If I remember correctly my kitchen window was attached the same as yours, screws top and bottom and rivets on the sides. The problem with replacing rivets is that unless you can find closed end rivets like the originals (I couldn't find them) you will have to seal the centre holes with something like epoxy or JB Weld else they will leak. I cut some wood for the sides and used screws on mine.

The screw covers with the small channel are the right ones. The channel slips onto the ridge on the aluminum to hold it in place.

Fred
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #24

Alberta
Registry
Thank you Fred -the window is done! I also put wood on the sides to screw it in. Now time will tell....hoping for rain? I'll keep looking for the screw covers. Thanks again. BTW - it took me all day! Next one should be quicker as I have everything now. Thanks again.
Quote:
lhanna,
So it looks like you may be replacing some/all of the wood, not unusual. Half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and someone to slice it up for you will do will be more than enough.

If I remember correctly my kitchen window was attached the same as yours, screws top and bottom and rivets on the sides. The problem with replacing rivets is that unless you can find closed end rivets like the originals (I couldn't find them) you will have to seal the centre holes with something like epoxy or JB Weld else they will leak. I cut some wood for the sides and used screws on mine.

The screw covers with the small channel are the right ones. The channel slips onto the ridge on the aluminum to hold it in place.

Fred
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
We knew you could do it!! I bet you aren't scared to do the next one either, and the next, and the next.... Just teasing!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
GOOD FOR YOU LAURIE (and yes, I'm SHOUTING!)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #27

Alberta
Registry
The next one will be a challenge also as it will be the first one where the frame comes off on the inside too. I think those ones are the ones I need to carefully pull back the ensolite and check the wood. Today was good enough for me for a couple days. I was so worried about matching up the holes!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
We knew you could do it!! I bet you aren't scared to do the next one either, and the next, and the next.... Just teasing!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Attachment 38952

Here is a pic our our maiden voyage last week. That is about a third of the trailer peeking past beside us! Funny, we were admiring a Mercedes motorhome and they were admiring our Lil Darlin'! The "average" size of unit in there was about 30+ feet, alot of 40 foot fifth wheels. Silly people

Tags
leaks