Oh No! It leaks! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #21

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Success!!!The window is out, unfortunately the wood is rotten and wet. I could actually see water sitting and am drying it out as we speak. I might have hit paydirt with this one window as the water seems to have been running along the back of the kitchen on both sides, running down the trim track and out onto the benches. Hopefully this one window replacement will take care of my leaks. I'm not going to hold my breath. I also found out the paint job was cheaper than I thought....they didn't even take the windows off! My Lil Darlin' was originally cream colored. I'll post my pics, yes, I did take some. The rivets were on the sides and I drilled them out, no wood on the sides. Should there have been? I am going to put some there anyhow when I replace the other pieces as I have to put the window back in place with screws - #8 SS screws. Whew!
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #22

Alberta
Registry
Fred, my old screw cover is shaped like a short "u" with a channel on the bottom. I've been to two different places and all they have is trim shaped like the short "u" but no channel. Is this the stuff you meant or should I keep looking? Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie b View Post
Pull the window and clean off all the old butyl.

Peel the Ensolite back just enough to see if the wood is rotten. If it is, or if the screw holes are too loose, it is not a big deal to replace the wood if you can get it cut by someone from a sample.

Stick the butyl tape around on the window flange, overlapping on the corners, then screw it all back together using SS #8 screws.

Trim off the butyl squeeze out with something like a plastic knife that won't cut into the fibreglass. You might have to do this a couple of times as it may continue to ooze a bit.

The plastic screw cover trim is readily available in 6 ft lengths.

Remember, no guts no glory
Fred
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
lhanna,
So it looks like you may be replacing some/all of the wood, not unusual. Half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and someone to slice it up for you will do will be more than enough.

If I remember correctly my kitchen window was attached the same as yours, screws top and bottom and rivets on the sides. The problem with replacing rivets is that unless you can find closed end rivets like the originals (I couldn't find them) you will have to seal the centre holes with something like epoxy or JB Weld else they will leak. I cut some wood for the sides and used screws on mine.

The screw covers with the small channel are the right ones. The channel slips onto the ridge on the aluminum to hold it in place.

Fred
freddie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #24

Alberta
Registry
Thank you Fred -the window is done! I also put wood on the sides to screw it in. Now time will tell....hoping for rain? I'll keep looking for the screw covers. Thanks again. BTW - it took me all day! Next one should be quicker as I have everything now. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie b View Post
lhanna,
So it looks like you may be replacing some/all of the wood, not unusual. Half a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and someone to slice it up for you will do will be more than enough.

If I remember correctly my kitchen window was attached the same as yours, screws top and bottom and rivets on the sides. The problem with replacing rivets is that unless you can find closed end rivets like the originals (I couldn't find them) you will have to seal the centre holes with something like epoxy or JB Weld else they will leak. I cut some wood for the sides and used screws on mine.

The screw covers with the small channel are the right ones. The channel slips onto the ridge on the aluminum to hold it in place.

Fred
Old 08-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
We knew you could do it!! I bet you aren't scared to do the next one either, and the next, and the next.... Just teasing!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
GOOD FOR YOU LAURIE (and yes, I'm SHOUTING!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #27

Alberta
Registry
The next one will be a challenge also as it will be the first one where the frame comes off on the inside too. I think those ones are the ones I need to carefully pull back the ensolite and check the wood. Today was good enough for me for a couple days. I was so worried about matching up the holes!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
We knew you could do it!! I bet you aren't scared to do the next one either, and the next, and the next.... Just teasing!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Attachment 38952

Here is a pic our our maiden voyage last week. That is about a third of the trailer peeking past beside us! Funny, we were admiring a Mercedes motorhome and they were admiring our Lil Darlin'! The "average" size of unit in there was about 30+ feet, alot of 40 foot fifth wheels. Silly people
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #29

Alberta
Registry
Here are a couple pics from today's work - A couple showing the "hole" - that bright light shining from the outside my first clue, the actual color of my trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	38955

Name:	036.jpg
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	38956

Name:	039.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	38957
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #30

Alberta
Registry
The good news is I have a sealed window, the bad news is it rained and there is still water. My worst fear is the belly band. Something beyond me. Anyone interested in buying a 78 Trill? grrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #31

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Trillium 1300 belly bands are generally not a problem and I would almost bet that the water is coming in from around the other windows. Where are you finding the water inside?
freddie b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #32

Alberta
Registry
Hi Fred, the water is on top of the fiberglass on the couch end. Doesn't seem to be all over it but all along the edge. Also if you were standing looking at the dinette, the bench on the right side. The water is also in the storage area on that side of the bench. That's why I thought that little window over the stove was the culprit. There has been nothing on the other side of the dinette at all. I will plug along and do the windows one by one and we'll see. If there is still water coming in after that, then I don't know. We all know where it ends up isn't necessarily where it starts, finding it just might be a big pain in the As! Thanks for all the instructions and encouragement everyone.

I thought the trailer was so good, having all the ensolite and in great condition, trim, frame reinforced, new battery, etc. Smoke and mirrors, the guy obviously did some quick fixes to sell. Very frustrating how people do that and then lie. Even more funny how I fell for it. I know a lot of the FB trailers you guys get need a lot of work (that is quite the understatement for some!). But I specifically set out not to get a project. I specifically said safe and dry. Sorry, feeling a little silly at the moment.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #33

Alberta
Registry
Hi Meghan! It was not soooo horrible and if I can do it you can definately do it. I'm sorry I couldn't do pics or video while I was doing it, but I was all over the place. Fred's instructions were bang on. Just make sure you have everything you need on hand before you start. Tools, supplies, etc. Butyl tape is what everyone here said to seal the window. The guy at one RV place tried to sell me something else 'cause he didn't have any. I declined. I got a roll of butyl, probably enough to do a couple big windows or the three smallest ones for just over $10.00. I don't know if that is good or not, but it seemed ok to me. A pack of 100 SS #8 screws for $7.99 they seemed hard to find, and a full sheet of the plywood. I got a full sheet 'cause it was the same price as a half sheet (????) and got them to cut it into three for me (easier for this old gal to handle) and it came in at $20.11. More than enough to do all the windows and then some. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
I just found out my play pac window leaks also. I am hoping it is because the outside trim , caulk, whatever, is missing. The stuff that seals the window into the window frame. I will be following this thread closely!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #34

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanna View Post
Thank you Fred -the window is done! I also put wood on the sides to screw it in. Now time will tell....hoping for rain? I'll keep looking for the screw covers. Thanks again. BTW - it took me all day! Next one should be quicker as I have everything now. Thanks again.
Wow, you certainly gained experience in a short time! A day to do a window is a completely reasonable trade-off, since you saved a lot of time and money from the repair shop, and also gained both experience and confidence. The inevitable future problem solving will be much easier to take on now that you have tackled the first one. Soon you will be thinking about modifications, not just fixes.

Congratulations.
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #35

Alberta
Registry
Oh Rick - you are so funny!If I find and repair the leak I'm done! No modifications here! Like I said, safe and d -r -y is all I want. I can make it prettier with new curtains and cushions, something I planned on doing anyway but nothing hard core like some of you. I am in awe of you all
With the exception of what I learn here, I am pretty much on my own with this. My husband originally humored me on this purchase and money should have gone elsewhere when we sold our other trailer. I have no choice but to hanker down and do the work myself, even the fiberglass repair from the inside if it comes down to it. Thank you for the encouragement though.

Laurie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Wow, you certainly gained experience in a short time! A day to do a window is a completely reasonable trade-off, since you saved a lot of time and money from the repair shop, and also gained both experience and confidence. The inevitable future problem solving will be much easier to take on now that you have tackled the first one. Soon you will be thinking about modifications, not just fixes.

Congratulations.
Rick G
Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #36

Alberta
Registry
Ok, so I'm not obsessing - not much. We had a little cloud burst here and I ran outside and sat and waited in the trailer. Found where the water seems to be coming through. At the front window drivers side, out the bottom of the trim onto the couch form. Not enough to go into the storage underneath. Same with the rear window, drivers side, at the bottom of the trim onto the dinette bench. Also seems to be going through the lensolite along the FB in between where the bench form sits against body of the trailer, and into the storage under the bench. Of course it had to be the two biggest, most intimidating windows!We are out of town with my son's provincial rugby next week so I will touch base when I do the windows. Most likely in the middle of it as I will be asking questions and for . Don't worry, I'll also be addressing those bare wires - my hubby is an electrician - maybe if I use my wifely ways he'll help me out.........or not! Eeeeeew - look the color of that lensolite - more scrubbing also in my future!

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	38968Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	38969Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	38970

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	38971Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	38972
Old 08-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
maybe if I use my wifely ways he'll help me out.........or not!

A bribe never hurts!! If not though, I'm betting you can tackle the electrical too!!!! I mean, you weren't so sure you could do the windows and look at ya now...
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks