Oh the joys of a 28 year old trailer... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft and 1980 Trillium 5500
So Garth, I was curious just how much water our toilet would use after your comment about your tank draining so quickly -- our is also small at about 10 gallons. Looks like it is not too bad on the water use front, but in the process, uncovered that I only have a stored water line running to the toilet -- no city water line! Both faucets have separate lines running to them for stored and city water, but the toilet just has the one. Is yours set up the same way?

I'm interested in what you end up doing for the pump -- while our is functional, it looks like it is original, and is running pretty noisy, so we may be considering a replacement down the line (will see how it performs over the next few camping trips!).
My water system sounds very different than yours - I have a single cold line running from kitchen sink faucet to bathroom sink faucet - in between, it tees off to the toilet, water pump, (and water tank behind that), hot water heater and city supply - in this way, either city or water pump can supply pressure to all the other things attached. There is also a similar line from kitchen to bathroom sinks but that only tees to the water heater for hot water - it is pressurized by the cold inlet on the water heater. I have included a very feeble schematic (drawing programs are not my strong suit).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water_System.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	14533

As for the water pump, we replaced it with a 2.8gpm Shurflo (supposedly the equivalent to what was in there) - much quieter and will empty that water tank in a heartbeat - really simple to replace, 2 wires, 2 water connections and 4 mounting screws (took all of 5 minutes - and I was being slow!)

Garth M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Trailer: 2011 KZ Sportsmen 242SB / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
You were correct in your observation that your toilet looked like a modified oversize portable. Many years back, we had a Camper Van (1980 Dodge Maxi) with the hand pump version of the same toilet. In the left rear top corner, where you have the large white cap (water control valve?), we had a plunger pump, providing flush water. In our unit the flush water tank was twice the capacity of the internal holding tank, while the fresh (potable) water tank was about 6 Gallons (closer to capacity of internal holding tank). I interchanged the water feeds for a better match.
As to your continually running water problem: why not use a hand spray nozzle, as used by Thetford as part of their 'Water Saver' system. Personally, I think the Thetford attachment looks just like a standard kitchen pull-out sprayer, with a different bracket. BTW, kitchen sprayers are cheap, work well with city water pressure, have a standard 1/8" MIPT connection, and would probably do a better job of cleaning 'soil' off the bowl.
Note: I started to send this as a PM, but thought I would post it in the forum instead, in case there were others with the same problem.
I'm now looking at modifying our current Travel Trailer for recycled gray water toilet flush, using a standard kitchen sprayer.
The rationale behind this is: Gray water is generally the first to fill, and has soap in it, which would help to clean the bowl. Also, by not using fresh water to flush, you conserve that too.
Guess what I have as a pump for the gray/flush water? A Shur-Flo 205-103 pump, that dates back to about the early 1970's, and is still going strong!

Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote