Old Gas - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
OK.. I am not talking about what Grandma has...

I have a gallon of gas thats 6 mos or so in it's red plastic container. Is this too old to use in my gen set?

If it is, where do I dispose of it???

I never have had to get rid of gas, at least not the kind my car runs on.

My car does a good enough job of that on it's own.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Gina, I just pour mine in the truck gas tank at the end of the season. It mixes with plenty of fresh. Never had any problems...Mike B

Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I agree with Mike, put it in your truck or car. It will get mixed with your "fresh" gas so that it will burn with no problem. When I have premix chainsaw gas that starts to get old, I even dump that into the van tank to get rid of it. Never had a problem but there is so little oil when mixed with 25 gallons of straight gas it shouldn't hurt.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #4

West Coast USA
Registry
But But...

How do you know when it's "old"? Does it change somehow that is visible?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Gina, It's hard to describe, but after 3-6 months the gas will change smell. I just drained some out of a motorcycle today that was at least a year old. It had changed from clear to a yellowish color and really smelled bad. The inside of the carb had dark brown coating of varnish from the gas sitting in it for a year. Had to clean carb to get the gunk out and make it run right. MikeB
Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #6

West Coast USA
Registry
Thanks..

I think it's old then. It seems thick. Hard to describe, as you say.

The stuff in the generator is just as old.

Oh boy..
Old 03-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
No "but's" about it, when it's old you'll recognize that fact by the smell. I'm unable to describe it, but a whiff compared with what is in your Element will tell you instantly. You are using STA-BIL to extend the life of the gas, aren't you? I bought a good sized container of STA-BIL @ Wal-Mart, but it's also available at auto parts and lawn care stores. A metal-rimmed string tag on which to write the date the gas container was last filled and fastened to the handle will keep track of the age.
If you prefer to avoid frustration, following these instructions will help to avoid aggravation.
Did you run the generator dry the last time? Normal procedure should be to pour the dregs from the tank, and then run it until it quits. This prevents "varnish" build-up in the fuel system and spoiled gas in the tank. The alternative may be to rebuild the carburetor and clean the fuel system so it will start the next time.
Mike and Bob have suggested the solution for disposal, but I would not put more than one can of old gas per your Element's tankful.
Kurt & Ann K.
P.S., Rick owns a Casita similar to Ann's & mine.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #8

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Sta-Bul gas conditioner states it will extend gas for a period of 2 years.

The local guy that sells Stihl chain saws says that gas gets old within 90 days.

I put Sta-Bul in all my gas engines all year long. Lawn Mower, Chain Saws, Snow Blower, Generator etc. It just makes good since to keep the gas in good shape rather than having to dismantel the carb each year to clean it out. I also run the motor in the off season for a period of time.

Old gas is a different color and does smell. I was an airplane mechanic once and I worked on an airplane that had the aux tank fuel line completely plugged up and it was from the the old gas hardening up. I guess this is what Sta-Bul prevents.

If you have one of the old type of carbureators on a Brigs and Stratton engine, rather than throwing out the old gas, try runing it through there. My experience with a Brigs is that it will consume almost anything.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:51 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Very little of the fuel which I purchase for my lawn mower, chain saw, lawn tractor, wood chipper, weed trimmer, and whatever else is currently hiding in my garage get used within 90 days. That's right, it usually older than that, because I don't use it up very fast. If it smells or looks bad, I suppose that's a problem (which I've never had), but old gas is not something I generally worry about. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Having said that, the end-of-season use-it-up-in-the-car scheme sounds good to me, assuming your car/truck/whatever has compatible fuel requirements (e.g. if your car needs premium, that had better be what's in the generator can).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #10

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Only way I can describe it is "it smells rancid". Usually if its stored in a metal can and not full while stored it can accumulate water so be careful of that. When I worked on small aircraft we would drain a small amount out to make sure there was no water in it and many times there was, old timey motorcycles the same thing. On the mixed 2 cycle oil some times some of the gas has evaporated and there's more oil in that mix than you would think and although that oil won't hurt your vehicle it may smoke more while its in there.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
But But...

How do you know when it's "old"? Does it change somehow that is visible?
Gina: You will know it's old when its molecules turn grey and it starts moving about with a walker.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #12

West Coast USA
Registry
Oh Oh..

Then I am doomed...