"Old" style Elixr vents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Does anybody know if these are available anywhere? Or if there is a reproduction / suitable replacement being produced with the same screw hole pattern? I see the lids everywhere, but not the actual vent assembly.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Are you talking about the 9" plastic vent that is either white or cream colored? If so, then Elixir still makes them, and I've seen them available through several different online RV suppliers. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.hannarvandtrailers.com/servlet/...red-Roof/Detail

http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/Elixir...urce=googlebase

This is what they look like, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing:

Name:   elixir.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  3.7 KB

If by chance you are talking about the old-style, metal, 9" Hehr vents, then they are not made any longer.

The Elixir vents are fairly low quality, but I don't know of any other 9" vents currently made. Some people choose to enlarge the hole and install a new (now standard) 14" vent.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If you are are talking about the plastic frame escape vent, you can buy the complete vent assy. from Tweetys RV on line. Takes a little while to find it but they carry it and the holes line up. Their price was reasonable when I bought the last two.
Eddie
Try this link. http://tweetys.com/13x20exitvent.aspx
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I should have been more clear - these are the vent (lids) I was referring to. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/heng...s.aspx?a=528122

The base portion of the vent is a bit different from what is currently available.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Quote:
Are you talking about the 9" plastic vent that is either white or cream colored? If so, then Elixir still makes them, and I've seen them available through several different online RV suppliers. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.hannarvandtrailers.com/servlet/...red-Roof/Detail

http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/Elixir...urce=googlebase

This is what they look like, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing:

Attachment 26039

If by chance you are talking about the old-style, metal, 9" Hehr vents, then they are not made any longer.

The Elixir vents are fairly low quality, but I don't know of any other 9" vents currently made. Some people choose to enlarge the hole and install a new (now standard) 14" vent.

Raya
I bought the same one as pictured but didn't realize it had cracks in all four corners until i got it fully installed and after the first rain . My remedy for that was clear silicone on the inside of the corners .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I bought this $25 vent to replace my Burro's leaking bathroom vent which I assume was the original one there. Shipping was quick I got it in less than a week. Have not installed new vent yet, waiting for sunny weather.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-x-9-Roof-...sQ5fAccessories

I saw all the posts about the poor quality of the Elixir 9x9 vents but I figured I could give the same sized one a shot as I didn't need to modify anything. In the Burro's bathroom location I cannot fit in a standard 14x14 vent. The vent I bought says Heng's instead of Elixir but they sure look pretty similar. The handle is different though, old Elixir is single handle, new Heng is more like a double tab and lower profile. New Heng lift housing is metal, old Elixir is plastic and was cracked. Old vent was cracked at plastic lift house, and in the middle of each side tab.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #7

Oh, funny coincidence: I just saw a "Heng" 9" vent at an RV store the other day. I debated buying it, but the $45 price made me hesitate.

At the time, I figured it was probably a clone or even made by Elixir. But now I'm intrigued: It sounds as if you are saying the "Heng" vent might be of somewhat better quality? If so, I would probably buy one.

Now that said, the 9" plastic vent in my Boler now does already have the "butterfly" shaped lift handle, and I think there might be metal in the track. Maybe I already have a Heng. (The handle on mine is broken right where the screw comes down through it in the center.)

Raya
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
If you haven't already, check my posting "Venting" in the Modification section for a cautionary tale about the Elixir vent. In my particular experience I could only tolerate so may replacements of a poorly made item.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Per, I did see your detailed posts about repeated replacement of that bath vent. And you did a great job too of making it into a skylight and adding a different type of powered exhaust fan. This is the first time I'm replacing the vent, so I thought I'd give the same sized replacement a second chance before undergoing anything more radical.

Raya, my new and old vent look so similar I wouldn't be surprised if they really are the same manufacturer but labeled with different names. The new one does look like it's a bit better quality, plastic lid looks slicker and has a better arch to it. But keep in mind I'm comparing a shiny new clean vent to my old yellowed warped cracked vent. There's a extra angle of it here at the seller's website.
http://www.shop.classacustoms.com/product....p;categoryId=24
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #10

Thanks Thomas,

I'm going to compare that one to the one on my Boler. If it looks a little better, I too might give it a try, still knowing it's not going to be a life-long solution. I just haven't decided whether I would want a "plain" 14" vent or a Fantastic vent, and a new 9" vent would buy me some time to think about it. Right now my vent seals just fine, but I have to go outside and "help" it up when I want to raise it, because the crank handle is broken and just barely hanging on.

At least it failed in a way that doesn't let water in. Whew!

Raya