On/Off legal motorcycle transportation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
but, I haven't seen that method in use for quite some time. Perhaps there are newer 'laws' that prevent such a method ? I'd do it again ![/QUOTE]

I live in an offroad-tourist area and I see front mounted cycles and bikes a number of times a year.
Got a cute story of a front mounted bike. Back in 1972, good friends of mine were traveling from CA to PA to visit family. They were towing a sticky and had one of the kids 50cc cycles mounted on the front of the tug. During a rain storm at night in Texas a semi passed them and clipped their left front fender merging back and they ended up in the median on their side. No one was hurt but the trailer was opened up like a tin can and the tug was only scatched up a bit.
Their son ran out and checked his motorcycle on the front and came back and told them that "everything was OK, my bike is fine". Kids, you got to love them.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
Hello. I will be in the same dilemna someday. I checked CA law and here it states that it cannot project beyond the fenders on the street side and not more than 5" on the curb side. ( for any objects ) . The biggest obstacle I forsee is blocking the headlights. I have no idea what other state requirements are. unfortunately my Yamaha is going to be tuff to carry on the front. Back in the seventies I was able to walk one up a 2x6 into a bed mounted camper. Too tipsy to want to do that again.
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the loss in popularity of front mounting of M/C's may have more to do with blocking airflow through the a/c condenser and radiator than legal concerns.
Heaven forbid if some rough-tough trail bike riders couldn't keep their a/c working after a long ride, when temps soar above 72 degrees >>>> LOLOL>>>>

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Before using the front frame on a 16' SCAMP to carry a 200 lb load of any kind I would suggest looking back on the number of posts reporting front frame cracks and failures on that same model trailer. Might not be such a good idea without at least some frame reinforcement.
Have you seen a cracked frame on a Scamp trailer made in the last 20 Years? They have heavier tubing and bigger axles.
Older Scamp 13s had enough frame cracks to notice.
Still ...A motorcycle???
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I haven't "seen" any, I am referring to anecdotal reports that didn't seem to make mention of specific years and was suggesting that it's something to know about, especially if one was going to buy a used trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
How about a bifold or trifold aluminum ramp? Nice and wide for you and the bike. The only downside is that they can be a little short so depending on the height of your box it could be a bit steep. Use a tie down to secure it to the truck hitch so it won't slip. You could also use a winch mounted to the front of the truck bed as suggested by Floyd to help pull it up.
Another benefit is that you can drive to a riding area and unload without having the trailer with you. I realize that your bike is a dual purpose but if there is any highway driving to get to a great area the truck might be more comfy.
I used to carry a small motocross bike, YZ85, on the back of a 17' Escape and while it was fine for short trips I would be reluctant to carry anything heavier or for longer distances. I now have a long box F350 with a HD Diamondback tonneau cover that carries 3 KTM's and a 450 quad!!! It's great to have lots of dry secure storage for "stuff" and I prefer it over the canopies I have had on other trucks.

Cheers,
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: In the market
Florida
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } Thanks everyone for the your input. I think I am leaning towards some sort of winch or maybe even a block and tackle to pull the bike up a ramp. The maximum weight would be 250-275 lbs, probably a 250cc bike max. I will have to find a way of securing the bike for stability when winching the bike up and I think a tri-fold ramp may work the best as Paul brought up. The first section before the fold could be secured to the bed, the second section where the bike will be on an incline to the truck and the third section of ramp will close up on the back wheel of the bike so it won't slip backwards. The second ramp probably will need some sort of cross member to to put tie downs on so the bike won't tilt sideways. Once secure, winching it slowly should be a breeze. Getting it off I thought of an easy way. Just find a tree and use the winch or block and tackle and let the bike hang and drive the truck out from underneath it or just reversing the process to load. I hope!

From everything I have heard here, I really don't want to go messing around with the back of the TT due to the weight distribution and don't want to put it on the tongue because of the stress on the frame and the aerodynamics (loading will also still be an issue).

While the ramp system, that is being sold for $2.5K will work nicely, I think it is a way to expensive alternative. I would think I could have a local welder fabricate a ramp for $200-$300 range and I could pick up a small winch for less than $150. Or, I could just buy a Toy Hauler and sleep in oily smelling garage bay!

BUT I still want a fiberglass TT. Still looking for the right deal to come along. Looking for used Escape or Bigfoot, no less than 19 feet.

Thanks again Guys.

Jack

Cracker Jack
In Sunny South Florida

P.S. Not really any decent trees in South or the Desert!!!
Cracker_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2014 scamp 16
Kansas
Not to worry about the motorcycle on the front of the 16' Scamp. I first started doing this in 1971 on a Jayco pop up, and several trailers since. Never a problem. Most of the weight is actually on the front of the tongue and supported by hitch. But you have to be careful not to overload the hitch.
JIM Midway usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #29

Kansas
I might add, there are a couple of drawbacks to the MC on the tongue. Turning radius is less, and LOL, I have on occasion forget to close the rear hatch on the jeep, and it won't close due to the MC handlebar sticking forward. Had to un-hitch, close the hatch, and re-hitch.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I actually prefer this guys method for loading his bike in the back of his truck. Why not try it? http://youtu.be/KnRS8f9QcrA

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #31

Kansas
Now that is a quick load! Had never seen that before. Back in the day I used to ride my bike up a ramp into the back of a pickup, but very carefully. But haven't used a pickup in years. Not sure I would even try that again at my age. Balance and coordination isn't what it used to be.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #32

Kansas
By the way, was the pict of your trailer taken in southern Utah? I go there yearly.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM Midway usa View Post
By the way, was the pict of your trailer taken in southern Utah? I go there yearly.
Yes, was southern Utah somewhere around Bryce Canyon. We went to Utah and area for first time this past summer.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #34

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
On/Off legal motorcycle transportation

I've considered this question myself, to try and haul my TW200
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1418663414.647308.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	79229
But I think it's a bit much to hang off of the trailer bumper. I added a receiver tube for a bicycle rack, but the two bikes may be 70-80 pounds combined. The moto is just shy of 250. I agree with the earlier poster who said that the frame of the trailer is intentionally barely sufficient so as to be light.

If your tow rig is a pickup, best bet would be in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
With all the concerns about loads etc on the rear of a travel trailer, no one's mentioned more weight on already over-taxed tires on some of the 16'-19' Scamps! I wouldnt dream of adding even 100lbs to the rear of my 13' Scamp trailer.

I liked Floyd's idea of a simple-mounted "Hoist" to lift the bike in and out. I had concerns about a 4000 watt generator even...hurting my back. I bought a Harbor Freight winch, redesigned it and turned it into a light-weight alum. (worm/worm wheel type mechanism) powered winch. How's it powered? With my 19.2 Craftsman drill. Pulls the gen up my homemade ramp in about 30 sec. But, my gen has wheels to stabilize it. The motorcycle would/will have to sit in a frame of sorts. Definitely the winch idea in the back of a PU truck would be my #1 preference for a motorbike.

On a side note, I have a 250 Rebel that I use ramps and "walk" it up in the back of my truck under its own power. I can do that comfortably. But if you're unsure...... reread the second paragraph.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #36

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Jack,

We have a LiL Snoozy. The factory people say that a small motorcycle can be hauled inside the trailer. It has a wide rear door. You would just have to install hardware to secure the bike and make a little ramp to get it in. Of course you would have to roll it out when camping.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #37

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I didn't notice this being addressed earlier, so...

If I read correctly, you're 'in the market' for a trailer. Any special reason not to just get a toy hauler? Big ramp in the back - drop down bed after you offload. Usually have much lower floors than a truck bed so it's easier to load. They build them for exactly this situation.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #38

Florida
I am about to pull the trigger on a small Honda 2008 enduro 230L which is 267 lbs dry weight. Been checking out 4 foot wide ramps and I will be putting it in the truck bed. I don't know if I will need a winch or not, time will tell.

I thought about a toy hauler, but don't want to go through the hassle of unloading bike and lowering bed, just to get a nights sleep.
Jack
Old 12-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #39

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker_Jack View Post
I think I know the answer to this already, but wondering if there are any options I may have missed. I will be driving a pickup with open bed. I am looking to include a light on/off road motorcycle in my travels. I will be pulling a tt. I am looking for solutions as how to do this? Older guy here, so ease of loading is important. Thanks for any responses, or solutions...

Jack
I'm leaving Monday FOR Alamo Lake with my ATV in the back of my PU and towing my Scamp.
Everyone I know hauls their bike or ATV in the back of the PU when towing a TT.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #40

Florida
Here's a pic.
Attached Images