On/Off legal motorcycle transportation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: In the market
Florida
On/Off legal motorcycle transportation

I think I know the answer to this already, but wondering if there are any options I may have missed. I will be driving a pickup with open bed. I am looking to include a light on/off road motorcycle in my travels. I will be pulling a tt. I am looking for solutions as how to do this? Older guy here, so ease of loading is important. Thanks for any responses, or solutions...

Jack
Cracker_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
If you don't already have one, don't forget to bring one of those aluminum ramps to get it up and down from the pickup bed. I don't know about you, but also being older, I know I can push a lot more than I can lift.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #3

Florida
I was hoping there would be another option. This one I know about and I am concerned about tipping when pushing up.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Florida
I was hoping someone had experience with this type of hitch on the back of a fiberglass tt.

Is it doable? I am aware of the loading issues and assume I would be able to compensate for the load on the back of the tt.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Jack, You can put a hitch receiver on the back of a trailer. It should be connected to at least two cross members. The load should not exceed 500lbs.

The big problem is that the weight at the back will make your trailer much more susceptible to sway. Adding tongue weight will help, but not as much as you might think.

I have pushed this boundary pretty hard, but I have a van with a raised roof as a tow vehicle. This helps, because the trailer is in the wind shadow of the van, there are less vorticies being shed by the trailer. This is what makes flags flap in the wind, and, I believe, it also makes trailers start to sway. Once swaying starts, the extra mass on the back of the trailer acts like a pendulum.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #6

Florida
Hmm, I am in the market for a tt, probably 19' to 23'. Will anti-away hitches help at all, or should I scrap the idea of putting a bike on the back of the tt? Aside from carrying it in the truck bed, I can't think of any other options.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
In the old days we used to put the motorcycles on the front of the truck.
Got money to burn look at this option.
Motorcycle Loader
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #8

Florida
David, I really appreciate your input as I have given the "bike" a lot of consideration. Maybe I should be looking at this from a different perspective. I didn't want to consider a 5th wheel, as I didn't want to lose the truck bed because I the motorcycle. I hope that makes sense, but I have another question. Would the "sway" issue exist in a 5th wheel assuming the bike was attached to the trailer as we discussed?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Jack, I am no towing expert, I just over think everything. That being said. A fifth wheel is just about the most stable trailer type. Lots of tongue weight. If I was going to put a motor bike on the back of a trailer, then, ideally, it would be a fifth wheel.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

Florida
Hi Steve,

I do not plan on leaving any estate and appreciate your input. I am, however, looking for the most cost effective way of getting the job done.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #11

Florida
David, I am a lot like you, and like to look at things from all different directions. I may have to re-think a 5th wheeler in lieu of a TT. I don't want to make any "costly" mistakes. I plan to travel a significant amount of the year, maybe boon docking and want to get all the ducks in a row before I start spending.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know of any FGRV's, except maybe a 5er, that you can safely hang 500 lbs on the back of without incurring frame damage and/or sway issues. If you go for a 5er, in many states you can triple tow a motorcycle trailer behind the 5er. Not a good idea, but a solution. Seems to me that a hoist on the pick-up bed is the best answer, but be sure to include the weight of the m/c in the allowable load on the TV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Anti sway hitches or devices are a band aid for abnormal conditions.
If you cannot tow your trailer safely under normal conditions without an anti sway hitch you have a dangerous problem an anti sway device will only cover up.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I am after exactly what you are asking for. I bought a gas powered moped and also the aluminum motorcycle rack shown. Although my trailer has a receiver at the back with a weight rating more than adequate to carry the moped and rack I didn't like the idea of weight on the back of the trailer reducing tongue weight which could create sway. My solution, I was able to buy a front mounted hitch for my tow vehicle, this way the rack & moped sits on the front, I can see it, and it does not effect trailer sway
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

Florida
Hi Ian,
After reading some web pages, I do not think that will work with a "legal" trail bike as it is somewhat higher and may block the turn signals and headlights. I will have to research this further as it is an option that may be feasible.
Jack
Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Many trailers have trouble supporting a simple bicycle from the rear bumper, so shop carefully. You need a stout trailer frame to start with; but too many trailer mfrs use frames just strong enough to support their trailer with minimal cargo, and no more.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2014 scamp 16
Kansas
Cracker Jack, I restore and ride vintage dirt bikes, and transported 2 to Colorado this summer, one on front, and one on the back of my 16' Scamp. a 260# 78 Suzuki across the tongue, and a 220# one on a hitch mounted rack on the back. Yes, absolutely it had to have a sway control, adjusted very tight, but was no problem even in west Kansas cross winds. Can send photos if you wish. That was the only time I hauled 2 at a time. Usually take my 200#er on the tongue. Can't turn real short, but otherwise don't know it is back there. Have air adjustable shocks on the Jeep to adjust ride height. And a ramp to roll the bike on by myself.

With 40 years towing experience, I can tell you you wouldn't even know the small motorcycle was on the back of a fifth wheel with tandem axles. As an aside, the only trailer I have not used a sway control, or equalizer hitch on, was a fifth wheel. For me, sway controls are "insurance" when pulling any bumper pull camper trailer, especially one with only one axle. They may pull great, but have a blowout on one side, and it's a different story.
JIM Midway usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Before using the front frame on a 16' SCAMP to carry a 200 lb load of any kind I would suggest looking back on the number of posts reporting front frame cracks and failures on that same model trailer. Might not be such a good idea without at least some frame reinforcement.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Bike up front !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
In the old days we used to put the motorcycles on the front of the truck.
Hey! I'm with 'Steves plan'. I carried a Honda 60cc on the FRONT of my pick-up (with a truck-camper loaded, and sometimes a boat trailer behind.) for many years, and thousands of miles to both coasts and to the Gulf, several times - - - but, that was back in the 1960's and '70s. I had a local welder construct simple frames for each of the two wheels, and merely had to lift each end of the bike into it's frame. This was a common practice in those days - but, I haven't seen that method in use for quite some time. Perhaps there are newer 'laws' that prevent such a method ? I'd do it again !
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
you could use a small electric winch mounted in your truck bed to pull your motorcycle up the ramp. then all you'd have to do is steady it when loading.
Or you could get one of these to lift the bike...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_74569_74569?cm_mmc=Bing-{adtype}-_-Material%20Handling-_-Hoists,%20Lifts%20+%20Cranes-_-142919
Attached Thumbnails
$_57.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote