On the need to seal rivets... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #21

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I'll pass along a bit of advice that the Casita people gave me early on and that is when drilling out rivets don't use a drill bit more than 1/64" over the rivet size. The reason being so that the rivet expands beyond the hole not in the hole.
Steve, I religiously follow your advice (that you passed along another one of my riveting threads).

As far as your special tools go, I want to say that you're equipped as if removing rivets was one of your hobbies or something...
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
As far as your special tools go, I want to say that you're equipped as if removing rivets was one of your hobbies or something...
No, but buying tools is my hobby!
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I don't get the snap caps. I tried to Google "plastic snap cap scamp" and saw some pretty gooped up rivets, some loose caps but no cap in place on the camper. Any links to pictures and/or tutorial might help. But I don't think it's the way I want to go...
LOL your not on your own in that regard, the companies that built most Boler's did not see the need or reason for snap caps either. I can not recall actually having seen a Boler that came with them originally and lots of them are running around with the original rivets and no leaks.

As others suggest it more important that you use the right rivet type as well as right size re the diameter and length.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I suspect that the extra compression space from the caps helps letting the riveted parts work against each other and promotes loose rivets.
Personally I used stainless screws and hardware, but mostly I was screwing into wood cabinets and bulkheads on my custom rebuild.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #25

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Wendy,

Have you tried a ratcheting rivet gun? No.RG-95 Ratchet Rivet Gun?Hand tools?VESSEL Co., INC.

Or maybe get an air gun and see if your compressor can run it. With the time between rivets I can't see you needing too large of a compressor.

As for Fastenal, give them a call and your requirements, a salesman may find them for you.

Cheers
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #26

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
Wendy,

Have you tried a ratcheting rivet gun? No.RG-95 Ratchet Rivet Gun?Hand tools?VESSEL Co., INC.

Or maybe get an air gun and see if your compressor can run it. With the time between rivets I can't see you needing too large of a compressor.
Wendy, I also have a cheap air compressor that takes several minutes to reach 80- 90 PPI. Yet it does a great job seating all size rivets using my Harbor Freight air gun. I can hold the air gun in one hand without any great effort, and i have small hands, and arthritis.

If you use one of HF's 20% off coupons, the price of the air gun is quite reasonable.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post

As for Fastenal, give them a call and your requirements, a salesman may find them for you.

Cheers
Be warned Fastenal sells rivets by the box - the box will be enough to do your own trailer plus a couple of dozen of your friends. You will need to buy a whole box of the sizes you need.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #28

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thanks Bill. Yes I have a Walmart cheapie air compressor, oil less. I'm a regular at harbor freight. I'll check it out. With an air rivet gun, is there some practice required to get rivet in right? I know with hand gun, mandrel has snapped too early at times and a crappy loose rivet is what I got. Drill out again and cinch it down even slower. It's super hard for me, that's all I remember. Drilling old rivets out was much easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #29

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Thanks Bill. Yes I have a Walmart cheapie air compressor, oil less. I'm a regular at harbor freight. I'll check it out. With an air rivet gun, is there some practice required to get rivet in right? I know with hand gun, mandrel has snapped too early at times and a crappy loose rivet is what I got. Drill out again and cinch it down even slower. It's super hard for me, that's all I remember. Drilling old rivets out was much easier!

I have used only two air rivet guns. One I borrowed from a friend, and the one I bought. Both from Harbor Freight, and the same model.

The one I borrowed would seat the rivet with the first pull in the trigger. Then it would discharge the rivet stem. The one i bought will not seat the rivet on the first pull of the trigger, it makes a popping noise, and then when I pull the trigger for the second it will "fire" and seat the rivet. Different from my friend's, but works fine for the job!

Both required just a little pressure to hold in place when seating a rivet, but are not near as hard to use as a hand riveter. I have not seated many rivets but have yet to end up with a loose rivet.

HF has two models...one green and one blue. My friend had a blue one, so that is what I bought. It's Item # 93458 i has 4 nose pieces for different size rivets.

3/16" Air Hydraulic Riveter

Good luck,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #30

Quebec
Big day today. Spent the whole day in my friend's garage. Went back after supper to take care of glue and caulking since the Boler was nice and warm. It doesn't get that warm when I only go for a few hours...

I'm almost ready to paint. It semms like prep lasts forever! I thought I would put some Dynaflex 230 in the hole of each rivet. That felt like someone played a practical joke on me: to put something in the hole, the air needs to come out to make room...and it won't!

I also had to seal the screws and old rivets that had goop on them. I tried to do a cleaner job but to no avail. I'm really disappointed. I made so much progress today to make the trailer look nice and I feel like I just made it look really ugly... :-(
Old 03-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #31

Quebec
Just need to be fair and highlight the fact that, on my next visit, the Dynaflex 230 had shrunk nicely and dried to a nice clear "color"! Perfect!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

And again...anyone know of a resource for rivet size/length and application for trailer? As I recall, my Scamp used a great deal of 3/16" rivets, but varying lengths.
RogerDat supplied this information, direct link: Scamp Rivet Size List
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #33

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Just checked that Fastenal link for closed end rivets. The rivets they list have an aluminum body BUT have a steel mandrel. I cannot imagine trying to break that mandrel of SS with my hands! If anyone has a supplier of these in all aluminum, could you please post?

And again...anyone know of a resource for rivet size/length and application for trailer? As I recall, my Scamp used a great deal of 3/16" rivets, but varying lengths.
I'm ordering rivets from https://www.boltdepot.com/ for my LiteHouse rebuild. They have an excellent selection of closed end aluminum rivets and will sell in smaller quantities.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Just checked that Fastenal link for closed end rivets. The rivets they list have an aluminum body BUT have a steel mandrel. I cannot imagine trying to break that mandrel of SS with my hands! If anyone has a supplier of these in all aluminum, could you please post?

I was at Fastenal today to pick up some rivets and they do have as you say rivets that are a combo aluminum body with steel mandrel but they also do have ones that are aluminum body and mandrel - or at least the shop where I purchased mine do.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #35

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1460215632.958005.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	94101I got these online. They're closed and the flange has a slight cut to it. They're supposed to be waterproof. I'm installing them with a tiny bit of sealant. I got the wrong size snap caps and I'm considering not using them except in the most visible places.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #36

Registry
Closed end

Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #37

Registry
Cut=cup. I blame it all on Siri.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #38

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think that these will work perfectly.
A little sealant on the shaft when you install it that will seal the hole and under the head and you are probably more sealed than with the plastic caps.
I used Gorilla Glue since it swells a little as it cures, but it also make a mess you would be better off without.
Some polyurethane or PU sealant might be good.
Wipe the excess off after you have pulled the rivet.
The older units dis not have the caps and I don't think they had problems.
Perhaps a little white paint with a small pointy brush would seal the rivets and blend with the fiberglass
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote