Once had a battery, starting over, help sought - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va

Well, the long and short. I love, love, love boondocking and get by perfectly well without the use of electricity. By the third or fourth night, however, I'm ready for a movie and the news, not to mention the laptop. So, it looks that I need to start over with a new battery and all new wiring.

There was once a battery.
I do have a converter (or something that's original on cupboards...I can plug in this place and there's a fuse)
This converter thing fell out and I think I need all new wires to it should I add a battery.
I plan to mount the battery on the front tongue next to the propane tank that feeds my 2 way refrigerator (electric and propane, I think) and stove.
There is a place for wires to run to the area of this converter thing behind the front bunk and behind the cabinets.

I do have one of the battery recharger things that I keep in the trunk in the event my car battery dies. It was bought at an auto supply place and is a good one.

So, I need:
A battery
the wires
and help on what to wire where

Thank you, thank you! I can't wait to read what I need to get and do!

Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I wish I could help you out, but I would need to see what is there, before I could recommend a fix...

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
You haven't mentioned your electrical skill levels. If you feel qualified and have an assortment of appropriate tools, the first thing I think will be needed, is a wiring diagram for your trailer. If the manufacturer is still in business, that's the first place to start, otherwise there is a pretty good library here on this forum. Check the Document Center under Resources on the left side of this page.
If you feel "over-your-head" you will need a competent RV repair service. Try to get several referrals before trusting one. A local U-Haul or good auto parts business should be able to suggest someone with a reputable history. A source to check phone book listings would be the Better Business Bureau.

Congratulations on joining us! We wish you success with the repairs Please keep us posted as your saga developes!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
I will echo, if you don't quite feel up to it, or are a bit scetchy on your skills, get a pro to do it.

Lectrikity is not one of those things you want to learn from your mistakes on. It's not only costly, but could be dangerous as well.

Doing it with your own hands is how to learn, but please have someone with you that knows "how to" to guide you and explain important details.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
RV trailers typically have a mix of battery (12VDC) and shore power (120VAC); were one to manage to hook the battery directly to shore power there might easily be a battery explosion, spraying acid all over the place -- This is not good for health or eyesight

There are times to Do It Yerself and times to hire/consult experts...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Welll, alrighty then! I have two electricians in my family, doesn't that make me one by osmosis?

I do have a wiring diagram. The wires are still there, I just thought I should start with new since it's a 1974,

The cord for shore power, the 120 is still attached to the converter and is functioning well. When my converter worked it's way off the front of the cupboard, I think the wires for the battery were stretched and that's why I thought it would be easy enough to change them and hook up a battery.

Ah, well, no problem-o. It's off to my trailer fixit guy for the battery then!

Thanks, anyway! I appreciate all the responses and the concern!

Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote